Sign in to follow this  
Nmenth

ZH Modding

Not sure how many modders in these parts have worked on both RA2/YR and Gen/ZH... but I'll ask anyway.

After I complete my Paradigma mod for Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge, I was thinking about making a total conversion mod for Zero Hour (completely new factions with a completely unrelated, non-C&C storyline).

One small problem of course, I've never modded ZH. So I know YR is easy to mod, but how different is it to step up to Zero Hour?

Question 1 - My new planned mod will require a lot of new graphics and I assume graphics will be the most difficult part, but luckily, graphics are what I like doing the most in modding. YR voxels are easy to make, sprites are a huge pain, but how hard are the objects in ZH to do comparatively?

Question 2 - How hampering is the code in Zero Hour? Is there more freedom available than the annoyingly restricting limitations found in YR?

Question 3 - How hard would it be to make three new campaigns? Is this something more than one modder should aspire to accomplish alone?

From a n00b's point of view... ;)

1) For the models, you'll need 3D Studio Max 7 or 9 to make them and Paintshop/Photoshop to make textures for them and, if you want, GUI stuff. This pretty much speaks for itself.

2) The INI coding is more detailed than in YR, but instead of having ART.INI and RULES.INI, ZH has many separate INI files (USAUnits.INI, USABuildings.INI etc.).

3) If you know how to use Worldbuilder, making campaigns shouldn't be much of a problem. The only tricky part is that mission maps need a separate INI file (named the same as the map itself) where you can

put exceptions regarding the techtree, unit strength or weapons etc. for the specific mission.

ZH uses W3D files, which are full 3D so making them isn't very easy unless you have some prior experience with 3D modeling, boning, texturing and the like.

However, I have modded ZH and it's really not that bad. The learning curve is a bit steeper but the engine is a HELL of a lot more flexible than YR, even with Ares. It uses the same INI-type format but there are many, many, MANY more INI files to sift through. So if you miss one thing and it crashes, you have to check at least five INI files.

Well I have no experience with 3D modeling, but I do think learning it is a better idea than abandoning it, and I think I can learn anything to do with graphics fairly quickly. I do not have any 3D graphics editors though and I'm allergic to spending money on software.

I think my next mod might be possible in Yuri's Revenge with Ares, but I think it would look nicer in Zero Hour and some of the things I had planned would probably be easier to code. Plus, I am very weary of doing infantry sprites (with more yet to do in Paradigma :rolleyes:).

Coincidently, I just finished playing around with a concept logo for the mod:

XenogenisisLogo.png

Note that it uses the base framework from the Yuri's Revenge logo as I was leaning toward using Ares.

My current focus is still on Paradigma, of course, this mod is only in its very early planning stages. I may have to weigh the pros and cons between using Ares versus Zero Hour.

The main feature of Paradigma is the multiplayer aspect, whereas this mod will focus on new campaigns, something I have never attempted before even in Yuri's Revenge.

Anyway, now that I just wasted a couple hours on that, I think I'll go play some Renegade. :ren:

It uses the same INI-type format but there are many, many, MANY more INI files to sift through. So if you miss one thing and it crashes, you have to check at least five INI files.

Well, there is a trick I found out about INI checking. If you are unsure will your new changes work, open Worldbuilder. If there is an error in the coding, you can see the error window while it's loading. Then, you can also browse up to My Documents\Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour, and you will see an error log, showing which file has an error and in which string. So that makes Generals far more advanced in error hunting ^_^

Just out of a n00b's curiosity, is C4D (Cinema 4D) usable for rendering models for ZH modding? I know 3DS works for sure, and I kinda have a feeling that Maya just might work as well (correct my n00bishness if I am wrong).

And @ Nmenth, I'm pretty curious if you plan to go this solo. I'm pretty interested about the storyline development (I'm a fan-fic nut, that's why).

Edited by rSquar3d

And @ Nmenth, I'm pretty curious if you plan to go this solo. I'm pretty interested about the storyline development (I'm a fan-fic nut, that's why).

If I went the Zero Hour route, I'd probably need some help so it didn't totally suck as my first ZH mod. Getting an experienced 3D modeler and ZH coder to do all the grunt work for me would make life much easier. ;)

If I stick with YR, I'd probably do most of it solo, but I am not against some help on it, as it is a full conversion mod that is a much bigger project than anything I've done before.

The storyline will be pretty interesting, I think, but I don't want to spoil too much giving it all away before I even start the mod. I'll just say this much; it is about two technologically superior alien races that are at war with each other when both come to Earth for their own reasons and with differing views of humans. Needless to say, Earth gets dragged into their conflict.

Sounds pretty interesting, though you seem to be planning something huge. A lot of new models for sure. Damn, you make me think of reinstalling all of my legacy C&C games just to be able to play your mods. >:D

If you want any ideas about storyline, feel free to ask me (am I such an arrogant nut or what). I love writing stories, maybe I can help you and let you put more time into the technical stuff. >:D