Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Is it possible to install a Mac OS on a PC?

I remember a few years ago I found out that probably some people (perhaps in the thousands) have attempted to install a full version of the Mac OS on a PC with an emulator and a program used to read Mac discs. Of course a new hard drive is required to do this sort of thing. What if you already have Windows XP installed first and you want to install Mac OS? I don't want to install a Mac OS first, then install Windows. I want to run both Mac OS and Windows XP, in which a program named Boot Camp can do. Apple users think it's illegal, but Windows users can oftentimes be sneaky.

Based on my two rigs here:

Rig 1:

Case/PSU: Antec Silent midtower case with power @ 500W

Motherboard: Asus P5Q SE

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.33 gHz

CPU Cooler: Stock Intel

RAM: 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 (PC2-8300)

Video: EVGA GeForce 9500GT @ 512MB

HDD1: Western Digital Caviar Blue 320GB

Optical: Pioneer 20x CD/DVD Writer

Sound: Realtek 8-ch HD Audio (onboard), Sound Blaster Audigy SE (separate)

Display: HP 19" widescreen LCD monitor

Speakers: General sub-woofer speakers (no brand name)

Input: HP usb keyboard, Logitech black mouse

Rig 2:

Case/PSU: Lenovo minitower case with power @ 280W

Motherboard: Lenovo (don't know the model)

CPU & Cooler: Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 @ 2.4 ghz

RAM: 3GB DDR2 (PC2-6400) - don't know the brand

Video: EVGA GeForce GT 220 @ 1GB

HDD1: Hitachi serial 320GB (slow one though)

HDD2: Western Digital Caviar 500GB (the faster one)

Optical: ATAPI 16x CD/DVD Burner

Sound: Realtek HD Audio (onboard), Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium (separate)

Display: Hyundai 19" standard LCD monitor

Speakers: Creative 2-ch sub-woofer speakers

Input: Lenovo keyboard and Logitech quiet mouse

OS: Windows Vista Ultimate (on the 320 GB HD), Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows XP Pro (on the 500 GB HD)

Rig 1 is 32 and 64-bit compatible. Rig 2 is only 32-bit compatible. The issue may be the low end video cards that may not work.

Please do not suggest I must buy a Mac to have a Mac OS, because Macs are slow and PCs are fast. A fast Mac costs more than a fast PC. If Apple is ahead of almost anything, there's are three things they are missing: keeping up with the performance competition (Internet, computer, programs etc.), unique utilities and programs not available for the Mac but on Windows and of course, better gaming.

Why am I asking this? There are some programs and features on a Mac OS that have some good stuff that Windows does not have and you can't even get it to use them. Some of the good programs I like.....Garageband and Digital Performer; they do not have a Windows platform. I still really want to do some music creation there rather than on a PC. Apple may be perfect for multimedia, art or audio creation, stability and entertainment, but not perfect for anything else.

Edited by zocom7

Guest Rabbit

My question I'd have to ask is... why do you want an apple product contaminating your PC? :P

But aren't there alternative programs for such things, made for Windows?

My question I'd have to ask is... why do you want an apple product contaminating your PC? :P

Compatibility. Performance shouldn't be an issue there.

But aren't there alternative programs for such things, made for Windows?

A lot of Windows programs I saw aren't even close to the ones Apple have. Some programs that worked on either OS are iTunes, Audacity, Safari and QuickTime.

Edited by zocom7

You cannot buy the Mac OS anymore. It only comes packed on a Mac computer.

Wrong. I looked up in Amazon and Buy.com. They are still selling full versions of Mac OS 10.5 Leopard. Lowest I know is around $116.00 after shipping and handling (excludes tax) in Buy.com. I remember there's a website that's selling a full server client version of the latest Mac OS 10.6.3 Snow Leopard costs around an ouchy $499.99, but at a student price it's only half price.

It's better off buying a full version of Mac OS 10.5 and then buy the upgrade (Mac OS 10.6 Snow Leopard) at around $25-30. However, since Apple is about to be releasing 10.7 Lion soon, I'll pass that Snow Leopard upgrade version until Apple releases the latest version.

Edited by zocom7

You cannot buy the Mac OS anymore. It only comes packed on a Mac computer.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

O RLY?

It's possible to install Mac OS on a PC provided that you have "Mac compatible hardware". Intel processors and ATI graphics card will work for example.

I've never done this before but:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-instal...ut-using-a-mac/

Have fun setting up a "Hackintosh".

Edit: Aww crap I didn't look at the last post date...sorry..

Edited by Tore

I guess Apple doesn't mind selling their own OS, but I know for a while it was pulled from the market. And I know for a fact Apple hates other people selling computers that come preloaded with the Mac OS. Psystar used to do that and Apple ended up suing their asses. Sure, that was a couple of years ago but it's still relevant. I guess Apple changed their minds...