Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Modern Warfare 3 more popular than Avatar?

You thought Skyrim has the most copies sold worldwide more than COD: MW3 and BF3 in the first week?

Now this could be even bigger, despite the big monopoly Activision has done:

http://games.yahoo.c...-130949515.html

Avatar is just a movie whereas MW3 is just a short epic game. By next year, MW3 sales could pwn Avatar's total box office sales further than I thought.

MW3 pwn BF3 on two particular things: the return of dedicated servers and possible mod support.

Edited by zocom7

Well since I thought Avatar was complete and utter rubbish, I'm not surprised that MW3 is doing so well against it. :P

mw3 also sells better than bf3 despite their enormous pr effort. mw3 isn't short, the campaign may only be 5/6 hours but the spec ops and survival has to count as well. this is also where mw3 beats bf3, its singleplayer is larger and there are much more game modes.

i still remember the interview with a bf3 developer claiming its campaign would be larger than mw3's and endure about 10 hours :mad:

BF3 could never hope to compete with MW3, its just too big. That isn't to say BF3 wasn't a hit for EA though.

It will just inspire them to churn out another CoD or MW game in the next 10 or so months. Can't blame them really. Keep making the same game year and year out with only handful of change but very little money spend on dev time, the fan boys lap it up and hand over their cash for the same game they brought the year before and Activision laugh all the way to the bank. **** if I were I charge at Activision its exactly what I'd be doing. And when the dev teams say they are sick of making the same game over and over you simply sack their moaning asses and bring another team to make it.

Dev teams tend to enjoy their creations more than you might think. It's that payoff that keeps them in business and employed so most of them won't rock the boat. Besides, I think a lot of you miss the reason why we see the blockbusters every year, but maybe you don't and you just hate the reason. Those AAA titles we all bitch about? Yeah, they guarantee a profit since games are getting more and more expensive to create. Publishers, especially, are less likely to foot a loss for a more "avant-garde" or "edgy" title than they are a guaranteed hit. While it's annoying to see the same thing every year, it keeps publishers, and developers alike, in business and in production. There will come a time that the games industry will finally push creative games as much as guaranteed hits; we just need to wait... and stop pirating everything too.

Put simply, stop whining about it so much. And quit comparing sales figures. That only serves to exacerbate the issue.

I agree with that, but to stop whining would give the impression people agree with what is being done.

Besides this is the internet and if we didn't bitch and whine about everything, what would be the point?

Sorry to bump this but I found some new data: http://www.virtualviewpoints.com/2012/04/05/bf3-vs-mw3-sales-battle-4-months-later/

Still looking for total sales numbers in dollars for MW3 if someone here can provide that. The Avatar movie still stands at over $2.7 billion in total box office sales worldwide.

Who cares, Wii Sports is the game that has brought the most revenue. You can't beat nearly 80 million in sales.

And that's part of the reason why I think it's stupid to ditch motion gaming... just because you aren't doing it right doesn't mean the technology isn't a good direction. Some games feel better with a joystick, some with a keypad, some need a mouse & keybord combo... a tennis game and a motion controller make sense... a kinetic controller and a dance game make sense... one day they will be able to create a proper fighting/sparing game with the technology it only makes sense.

Making cents is different though... someone will crack the technology and we'll never be able to remember life without it.

The chances of having COD Black Ops 2 or 3 more popular than Modern Warfare 3 is far than anything imagined.

Yeah it seems MW3 isn't quite as popular as Black Ops was. Could it be a downward trend?

One can only hope. :P </Not being a BF3 or anti COD fanboy>