Sign in to follow this  
Guest Rabbit

Tiberium RPG

Guest Rabbit

I'm working on a Tiberium RPG. It will be made with RPG Maker VX.

The basic storyline is that for whatever reason (to be determined), the Scrin have decided to launch Tiberium towards Earth a couple hundred years earlier than before. The general idea is that, because of the advanced technology of the modern era (circa 20th and 21st century), the Scrin thought it would cause us to spread Tiberium a lot faster with our developed population. Unfortunately for the Scrin, this means humankind was also advanced enough to defeat the alien race.

Because of this, the Scrin developed a backup plan. They've managed to steal the human time traveling technology. Unfortunately, they couldn't control it, and it was destroyed after they made it back only a couple hundred years. With the human race still developing, the Scrin believe that they can spread Tiberium in this timeline instead, and though it will take longer to spread around the world, the Humans this time around will not be strong enough to stop it, or the Scrin.

Hi4ap.jpg

Currently, the people involved in the creation of this mod are:

Zee Hypnotist

Nmenth

[*]Sprites (Animals, infected animals, tiberium creatures)

Scaled down Tiberium Floaters might work.

Already done.

Nice concept, Zee.

Say, are you going to include Nyerguds into the project soon? He knows programming stuff before.

Guest Rabbit

If anyone wants to come forward to help, they can by their own means, but at the moment, I'm not really actively seeking more than what we've got.

What kind of weapons are you going to have in this game? You say it is a couple hundred years earlier, but they were pretty much using muskets and cannons by that era with swords being mostly decorative. Do you intend to have guns and explosives, or were you thinking further back than that?

In the age of flintlocks around the 17th century, swords and bows were still used as guns weren't very reliable yet. If you set the timeline here, you could have both guns and melee weapons, and if you plan to have a multi-member party rather than one main character going solo, you could make the party members specialize in weapons of choice. Personally, I like the idea of this era, as it is far enough back to have swords (which are fun), but recent enough you could make cool things like tiberium grenades (meaning the primitive black powder-filled metal spheres with a fuse... and tiberium).

Mid-17th century would, of course, be about 400 years prior to the Scrin arrival. To do away with guns entirely would set you further back.

On to another note, are the weapons, items, etc. displayed as images, or just names with stats?

Guest Rabbit

To start, weapons are names with stats, but they also have a description and a small icon (24 x 24 px).

In battle, there's small battle animations that are created out of a few frames, which aren't directly attributed to specific weapons, it's just multiple effects.

Now, as for the timeline, yeah, that's what I was thinking about, how to make swords and maybe small guns / grenades. I figured I'd make the timeline itself really nondescript. I'm also wondering how in depth I'd get with Kane and his intentions. Would it involve him recruiting a small army or what?

Another question is that of a monetary system. For now, I just have $ as the money symbol, but should I use G for gold or something else?

To start, weapons are names with stats, but they also have a description and a small icon (24 x 24 px).

Icon that represents the weapon class (e.g. all swords have the same icon), or the weapon itself (steel sword looks different from green tiberium sword)?

I'm also wondering how in depth I'd get with Kane and his intentions. Would it involve him recruiting a small army or what?

If tiberium came ahead of schedule, Kane would definitely be all over it building the Brotherhood early. Though I don't think Nod should be in the main focus, I think they should be encountered in some form or another in every city (except maybe the first and last), but their role would be limited to B class missions. Kane would be creating tiberium-based weapons as usual, so I think fighting Nod should be the primary way to acquire the most elaborate weapons made with tiberium (though perhaps the professor guy can make some too).

Another question is that of a monetary system. For now, I just have $ as the money symbol, but should I use G for gold or something else?

Depends on the country your game takes place in, I suppose. America was barely on the world map in the mid-1600s, in Europe, the thaler was widely used. It was a silver coin and is the etymological origin of "dollar". While perhaps not everyone will know what a thaler is, odd currency in games is not unheard of and I think it is a good choice.

Guest Rabbit

Here's the current icon set. Most swords have the same icon, but as you can see, there's tons of wiggle room to add more, as there's all the empty space on this image sheet.

These icons function with weapons, items, skills, health conditions, etc.

post-2281-0-85407200-1332975575_thumb.png

I also agree with the Kane bit. I wanted him to be present, but not the main focus of this game.

EDIT: Actually, a lot of the swords here are pretty diverse. This is the customized set I downloaded a few weeks ago, but forgot about it. Either way, we've got a lot to work with here, and a lot of space to use to add stuff in.

Not really sure where to put this, but its looks great so far! I will definitely be keeping a eye on this project. Been wanting to play a C&C style RPG for a long damn time now but, well im too damn lazy to learn anything lol.

Hey, not sure if this is the place to say this but, just made an account to say that I really am intrigued and interested in this RPG and hope this project ends up going to completion. This is some really good stuff and I can't wait to see a finished product (or a playable beta, maaaaaaybe?).

In short, thanks for doing this for the C and C community.

Guest Rabbit

Thanks for the compliment! Yes, I do plan on finishing this game. It's temporarily paused while I finish the last two episodes of C&C Legos, but I'm expecting to finish this game by the middle of 2014. Not too far away, I think.

I really like the idea of a Tiberium series RPG. The only thing is I don't really care for the several centuries back thing.

Otherwise it sounds good!

Guest Rabbit

Well, the whole point of the game is that it takes place several centuries back, so I don't really know what to tell you.