Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

THQ files for bankruptcy

Noooooooooo!!!

Source: http://www.giantbomb...s-updated/4477/

However, even though it went bankrupt, some other financial company bought THQ and saved it, so the developing games right now (including COH2 and the Metro 2033 expansion) won't be canned out and affected by this.

I'm glad neither EA nor Activision wanted to buy the company.

So this is perhaps one of the reasons why THQ had a humble bundle game pack for sale and a temporary free giveaway of Metro 2033 in the first place.

Edited by zocom7

Yeah I thought that might happen given how desperate for cash they were with that bundle pack.

So this is perhaps one of the reasons why THQ had a humble bundle game pack for sale and a temporary free giveaway of Metro 2033 in the first place.

The Metro 2033 giveaway was directly for the promotion for Metro Last Light.. Metro 2033 did not much have promotion prior and on release then and it went on to become a well-received and excellent game but not relatively well-known..

I'm glad neither EA nor Activision wanted to buy the company.

There was this:

http://www.escapistm...ft-Eyeballs-THQ

But THQ found a buyer - Clearlake Capital Group.This don't change anything at all in sphere of sequels of Metro and other games.

But THQ found a buyer - Clearlake Capital Group.This don't change anything at all in sphere of sequels of Metro and other games.

Clearlake Capital Group is no ordinary buyer.. Such is an investment firm and they'll be selling / bidding THQ..

So far, EA and Warner Bros are the leading two bidders interested in buying THQ's assets:

http://www.gamespot....-report-6402081

I rather see Time Warner taking the aim to own more game companies instead of EA and/or Activision.

Edited by zocom7

Is APOC still at THQ? If EA got them, he'd make a full circle back under EA's shadow again... :P

Is APOC still at THQ? If EA got them, he'd make a full circle back under EA's shadow again... :P

Sorry, but he left THQ for Sony Computer Entertainment not long ago. According to his LinkedIn page, he's now a community strategist.

EALA and C&C had better need a community strategist one day.

I rather see Time Warner taking the aim to own more game companies instead of EA and/or Activision.

Wow what a shock, you don't want EA to own anything out of this. EA could probably make whatever frachises they get even better, far better than what THQ did.

Yeah as mentioned, APOC quit THQ a long time ago. He is working at Sony Santa Monica on the God of War franchise these days.

EALA and C&C had better need a community strategist one day.

They have one. Its basically EA_CIRE's position. He's more than just the C&C Community Manager.

With this THQ stuff, it won't be EA or Warner Bros. owning THQ, its just the franchises and studios up for sale here. Once its all said and done the THQ name will be history.

Only thing I care about in this THQ debacle is who gets the rights to Metro series. And I guess more importantly that it gets released in March. :)

Auction has just finished.

Apparently, Relic went to SEGA, don't know the others.

From Kotaku....

Relic Entertainment

Makers of Company of Heroes
Winning bidder: Sega, $26.6 million.
Backup: Zenimax Media, $26.3 million.

THQ Montreal

Makers of 1666 and Underdog, titles under development.
Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $2.5 million. No runner-up.

Evolve

(title in development at Turtle Rock Studios)
Winning bidder: Take-Two Interactive, $10.894 million.
Backup: Turtle Rock Studios, $250,000.

Volition, Inc.

Maker of Saints Row
Winning bidder: Koch Media, $22,312,925.
Backup: Ubisoft, $5.4 million.

Homefront

Released 2011; due for a sequel.
Winning bidder: Crytek. $544,218.

Metro

Series; due for the sequel Metro: Last Light.
Winning Bidder: Koch Media, $5,877,551
Backup: Ubisoft: $5.175 million.

South Park

License; South Park: The Stick of Truth is due for release March 5.
Winning bidder: Ubisoft, $3,265,306

http://kotaku.com/5978425/thq-is-getting-sold-off-today++heres-everything-we-know

Wow, Crytek snapped up Homefront for a bargain there.

So Sega and/or Zenimax gets the COH series from Relic (and possibly Dawn of War series), whereas Metro, South Park and the others got owned by Ubisoft. Homefront series sold to Crytek? Yikes.

What'll happen to GSC Game World? They're the Schrödinger's cat of gaming, they're confirmed to be both dead and alive.

Looks like it's RIP for THQ and pretty soon RIP for Atari. EA, Activision, Take-Two and Ubisoft are struggling and Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony are still trying to make a comeback.

As for Sega and Warner Bros, well they're already thriving with more video games, but still they couldn't compete well enough against the other epic games.

Edited by zocom7

Guest Stevie_K

I don't feel bad for what is happening at the moment. These giants have had their shots at making the right decisions, but have continuously failed to do so. Survival of the fittest.

I feel there is just far too much over heads when it comes to triple A game development. Like that silly comment about Dead Space III needing to sell five million copies to be profitable... Something just ain't right there.