adityars

Command and Conquer - in browser

Hi Guys,

I have been working on a hobby project over the last year, recreating Command and Conquer in HTML5 for the browser.

http://www.adityaravishankar.com/projects/games/command-and-conquer/

The current version includes several levels in the single player campaign and multiplayer support using Node.js.

Based on feedback from nyerguds, I updated the weapons, sounds, animations and created 2 levels each for both GDI & NOD... While not perfect, I think I have got pretty close...

I added game options, save game/load game/ audio options/ game speed etc. etc.. I even added the cutscene videos...

Even multiplayer works... (somewhat)...

To try the game, just open the URL (http://www.adityaravishankar.com/projects/games/command-and-conquer/) in an HTML5 compatible browser (Google Chrome, Firefox, Safari...)

I am working on adding more of the units, levels and features...

I am also adding a few new features like the ability to watch game replays for both singleplayer and multiplayer

I would appreciate feedback from all the C&C fans on this forum... I constantly update and improve the code, so feedback would be very useful :)

Also, this is a one man project... So be kind and gentle in your feedback...

Edited by adityars
  • Upvote 1

Ah, here's the thread. Nice. I'll check it out when I got some time :)

Hmm. The "not ready" voice is actually meant for the nuclear missile and airstrike. The normal buildings and units should use the "Unable to comply, building in progress" voice.

Some more oddities:

• I can't fully reveal the shroud in the upper map corners
  • The shadow of Engineers is green
  • Selling buildings doesn't spawn units. Normally, you get the full price of a building back; half in cash, and half in personnel. Of course, this is rounded down on the personnel.
  • I can't attack a soldier standing in the corner of a power plant because clicking him targets the power plant instead. In fact, only the actual foundation (an L-shape, for the power plant) should be targetable. The other is just an open cell.
  • Units should not shoot at buildings without being explicitly commanded to do so. Only exception to this are buildings which have a weapon (including SAM sites)
  • There's no production speed bonus for building multiple production buildings (like barracks)
  • Minigunners seem to have far more range than in the original. They seem to have the same range as the humvees
  • Everything seems to die far too easily. Are you applying the armor damage modifiers?
  • GDI mission 2 doesn't seem to have a refinery.
  • The tiberium in mission 2 seemed to have strange colours
  • You should get a targeting cursor on things you see peeking under the edges of the shroud.
  • My soldiers didn't attack civilians automatically. According to game alliance rules, any House that you aren't allied with should be seen as enemy.
  • Upvote 1

Hmm. The "not ready" voice is actually meant for the nuclear missile and airstrike. The normal buildings and units should use the "Unable to comply, building in progress" voice.

Some more oddities:

1. I can't fully reveal the shroud in the upper map corners
  2. The shadow of Engineers is green
  3. Selling buildings doesn't spawn units. Normally, you get the full price of a building back; half in cash, and half in personnel. Of course, this is rounded down on the personnel.
  4. I can't attack a soldier standing in the corner of a power plant because clicking him targets the power plant instead. In fact, only the actual foundation (an L-shape, for the power plant) should be targetable. The other is just an open cell.
  5. Units should not shoot at buildings without being explicitly commanded to do so. Only exception to this are buildings which have a weapon (including SAM sites)
  6. There's no production speed bonus for building multiple production buildings (like barracks)
  7. Minigunners seem to have far more range than in the original. They seem to have the same range as the humvees
  8. Everything seems to die far too easily. Are you applying the armor damage modifiers?
  9. GDI mission 2 doesn't seem to have a refinery.
  10. The tiberium in mission 2 seemed to have strange colours
  11. You should get a targeting cursor on things you see peeking under the edges of the shroud.
  12. My soldiers didn't attack civilians automatically. According to game alliance rules, any House that you aren't allied with should be seen as enemy.

Cool... Will patch these in, hopefully by the next release... Thanks for the help!!

BTW, do you have notes/details on how the fog is implemented/drawn??

1. I use a slightly weird FOW because I couldn't figure out how to create the original fog using the images provided

2. Still having some pallet related stuff... Will need to modify the green color right out of the original sprite sheets...

3. How do I know which units to spawn?

4. Ooh... OK ... This should be an easy tweak...

5. I didn't know that... Will modify accoridingly...

6. Still need to add than in... Will do..

7. I will see if I goofed up while entering values for units....

8. Might need some help figuring out the damage modifiers... For some reason, the infantry are too strong

9. Will check... I thought the original map didn't have a refinery for some reason...

10. ?? Will take a look :D

11. Need to implement FOW like the original to fix this problem... Do you have details on how FOW is drawn/implemented??

12. Didn't know that ... Will implement it that way... easy fix...

Thanks,

3. It's mostly just calculated in minigunners, which are $100 each. The only exceptions are

-the silo, being a building that would return less than $100, gives a technician (when destroyed, it gives 2 technicians, btw)

-Non-defense buildings with a price over $500 seem to have a small chance that some of the minigunners are replaced by technicians

-Construction Yards give 4 minigunners (though as I said, some may be technicians) and one engineer when selling. There will just be 5 infantry without any engineers if the building was captured, though, since that would allow you to capture and sell an enemy CY and not even lose an engineer in the process. (there's also a chance they spawn an engineer when destroyed, but that chance seems about 50/50)

8. Actually, I had the feeling both infantry and vehicles died far too quickly... might be related to the fact that the machineguns in the original C&C are slightly inaccurate.

9. The GDI #2 mission briefing video explicitly mentions that the refinery is the actual reason Nod had fortified the beach in the first place :P

11. As far as I know, the actual revealing is just done in cells. Units reveal a round area around them and map cells get a "revealed" status or something. The actual graphics of the FOW are just rounding on the edge of the cells, but they are actually drawn on revealed cells; unrevealed cells are 100% black.

I think sight "3" means that around the unit, any cells touched by a circle with a radius of 3 cells, and with the unit's current position as center, are revealed.

Note that the game keeps the Revealed status of the cells on the border just around the map, to make sure this rounding works correctly. This allows there to be a difference between a fully revealed edge, and an edge of which the cell just outside it isn't revealed, which would draw the shroud edge graphic on the revealed cell just inside the map.

Overall, though, great work :)

• Upvote 1

Hello,

nice project. However, for me sound/music does not work. I am using Linux - maybe it is related to that..?

Hello,

nice project. However, for me sound/music does not work. I am using Linux - maybe it is related to that..?

Which browser are you using?

As long as your sound drivers are setup properly, and you are using a browser like Firefox/Chrome, it should work properly....

People have reported it works fine on Linux...