Sign in to follow this  
Saracen

20 Second Skirmish!

I thought I'd go back to Zero Hour and have a few skirmish battles, afterall I was hungry for a 4 way battle... But that hasn't happened, upon starting a game I build a power station and then BOOM! My base blows and I'm reduced to dust...

Funnily enough I installed the latest patch which I hadn't done, so I thought I would... Graphics went funny, textures disappeared and the whole game slowed right down since updating...

So I updated Graphics drivers and put on DX9c and I thought great I have my graphics back in tow and faster game play once more. Went back to Zero hour to play another Skirmish and KABOOM! another base...gone..

I uninstalled the lot, deleted all folders accosiated with the game,then restarted the machine to clear anything from memory. I re-installed both Generals and Zero Hour and just ran the game on basic without any patches..

What do I get again when I start a Skirmish? KABOOM! Another one of my bases goes down for no reason at all.... I've had no mods, no shell maps, nothing at all which modifies the game in the past, all because of this one patch, I can't play it now... Has there been any other reports of this, cos I wanna multi-nuke the computer :roll:

What other changes have you made to your computer lately?

A big change, but Zero Hour ran fine after I did it, and that was upgrade XP to professional. SP2 isn't installed, so it isn't that..

Other software wise, A reinstallation of RenAlert .993,and a couple of old games... other than that a downloads of a few MP3's and a couple of music videos...

Done my usual weekly Virus check, monthly disk checks and defragmentations,,, got 17GB of space left so no worries about virtual memory... there's nothing I've done that I consider to be of any damage to the files on the disk....

I've known in the past that if structures explode in this manner it's an anti-piracy thing, but I dunno if that's true... All my C&C Games are legitimate obviously, for my peace of mind and the comps safety... It's really bugging me this... totally confusing. :?

Guest Draigh

I know that problem. It's an anti-hacker system. You should reinstall the game and everything should work fine again. If it doesn't, well, you made the try...

I would try a re-install of Direct X 9.0. Either re-install Direct X 9.0b or update to 9.0c.

You could just go ahead and install SP2. Installing SP2 updates Direct X to 9.0c.

So I updated Graphics drivers and put on DX9c

Not too clear, but I've err already done that... I might just do another uninstallation and sit on it a bit...

Are there any shared files or folders outside of Generals... I'm wondering if that would affect it?

I had it twice lol. I unistalled ZH, removed any folders left, restarted and reinstalled and then patched and worked. you also might try this.

Remove the generals.exe and the ZHINI.big. Put in the ZH cd, then do install and then repair. Restart and see if it works. installing on another partition might also work.

dude, just back everything up and format, then insall SP2 AND then install generals. My guess is that when you upgraded to pro it activated the anti-piracy features of generals.

I reall think their Anti piracy is BS, because if i upgrade my computer or move the game to a different hard drive i get screwed.

I had that with Generals once after patching. Only wasy I could fix it was to reformat :/

If nothing else works, how good does the shiny surface of the cd look? And does it work in a different cdrom drive?

I've known in the past that if structures explode in this manner it's an anti-piracy thing, but I dunno if that's true...

I think that's correct. I had problems with my computer once and restored via F10 at the BIOS. For some reason, it didn't remove all the Program Files, so Generals was still there. However, there were no registry keys, obviously relating to anti-piracy measures. It seems that something believed the game was a copy because there was no record of installation, thus the game was not actually installed. Several of my games were not working, probably due to having registry keys missing, possibly to do with the install path, if not copyright.

You know how I got around it...F10 again. This second time, the computer was completely (well, almost) reset. So I could reinstall & play all my games without further problems.

In regards to the KABOOM!! It's bloody annoying, I know!!

Funnily enough I got it sorted back in mid October... Been so damn busy up to then I never really come back here to actually say I got it working..

And How did I solve it???

No idea... as I said, I'd sit on it a bit. So I did, then tried another re-installation of Zero Hour just as a final attempt. It worked.. blomin strange :?