Plok

Official C&C Website Redesigned

Wouldn't it be peculiar if the EA web team are newbies instead of professionals? Why the decent design after four times of changing an official C&C forum? The third time was almost a charm but it was still flawed. Every time a new forum is being made, there are tons of issues. No other C&C or any other forum in my lifetime on the Internet has been this mediocre and even the user "CrazyGDIFan123" had said the official C&C forums is the biggest pile of fail of a forum ever. So far this forum I have been to has the best improvements ever.

As for Origin user names, it's very much compared to how I logged in to the Tiberium Alliances forums.

Edited by zocom7

Wouldn't it be peculiar if the EA web team are newbies instead of professionals? Why the decent design after four times of changing an official C&C forum? The third time was almost a charm but it was still flawed. Every time a new forum is being made, we have tons of issues. No other C&C or any other forum in my lifetime on the Internet has been this mediocre and even the user "CrazyGDIFan123" had said the official C&C forums is the biggest pile of fail of a forum ever. So far this forum I have been to has the best improvements ever.

As for Origin user names, it's very much compared to how I logged in to the Tiberium Alliances forums.

Zocom you make it sound so simple without hassle but yet it's not. You're bound to run in to these types of problems even when prepared as I've stated before. You just don't know what software conflicts will rear it's ugly head when you start bringing things online again and connected. Yeah, it's like you're trashing EA every chance you get because of how misinformed you are.

I'd gladly let you have my job(not the forums, my real job) for a day and you'd quickly find out it's not easy as pie.

Zocom you make it sound so simple without hassle but yet it's not. You're bound to run in to these types of problems even when prepared as I've stated before. You just don't know what software conflicts will rear it's ugly head when you start bringing things online again and connected. Yeah, it's like you're trashing EA every chance you get because of how misinformed you are.

I'd gladly let you have my job(not the forums, my real job) for a day and you'd quickly find out it's not easy as pie.

mate i am doing your job among other tasks as a software engineer way more complected, and with all do respect to any occupation, even my unborn kid can setup and have up and running in few hours a very solid and descent forum system in our days!

all the rest i am hearing are exsuses! 3rd party tools, moving this from there to teh new one, etc etc etc, sorry its all blah blah blah!

when you had old problematic forums and you are creating new ones, you either make brand new ones from scratch and you keep nothing from the past problem, or you fix the problems and them move tehm to new forums!

you are not transfering the problems of the past to the new system! thats why (i believe) they have all this kidn of issues!

throught out the years i have been following CnC and in the past i was workign with Apoc in the forum moderation and QA, i have seen that many many times!

they are trying to save old problematic forum posts to a new system, that simply is pain in the ass! the users would prefair a new clean from the past topics forum that will be SOLID, instead of 5years old posts and problems!

also an other huge problem is this with the other EA departments!

because now they are having Origin :mad: , they try to force to combine that system to all the other departments, and here is where the chaos begins!

"move the old problematic forum, to a new forum system that is free and we know how to maintain, BUT merge it with the origin forum system and database!!!!" :o

oh and find a way the templates to not mix up when they are merging!

all this crazy alchemists is a recipe for failure! 100%! they are not blizzard! Blizzard has managed to make a unique very solid experiences in their "very restrict" forums, because they created one forum system for them self's. one new custom coded forum system! so that was able to be merged with everything perfectly!

i understand the hard time the guys have now, and how complicated is now what they are trying to do, trust me i do 100%, but i do not accept the fact that this is all caused by poor management and technology decisions! its always a patch over a patch over a patch, then the team gets dis-mental, and the new guys cant find their way around the thousands of customization the previous team did in an open source forum.

if that's not bad "junior like" choices then what is it?

Edited by Johnnyxp64

Sorry Johnny it's more complicated than what you state. What I know of the problem is a complicated one and that's all I can share without getting too specific. I would have started over with the forums if it was me cause upgrading over to a new version of software doesn't always work that well.

if its even more complicated, (sure we dont want to get in technical details) its even a bigger proof that they made some really bad choices ..........

:rolleyes:

sorry mate but look this forum was up and running in few hours. http://forums.uberent.com/forums/

i think it help that there is no publisher company to tell them what to do ;)

Edited by Johnnyxp64

vBulletin 5 is a total mess to start with and it will play its huge part in being a headache. Any site and its developers customizing that software will probably have the urge to punch the screen. For example: Check out how you would update a vB stylesheet with a variable editor (lol), and then with IPB...simple.

post-6463-0-70202600-1370904356_thumb.jpg

post-6463-0-03020900-1370904382_thumb.jpg

Edited by neogrant

Well the good news as of now, the background has changed to gray and the text color has been restored to white to avoid forum eye cancer and the log-in/log-out issue has been partially resolved, but the bugs remain for editing, scrolling and interface viewing. Also some of the topic threads there are starting to disappear or not showing up in some forum sections. It feels like the official C&C forums is mostly inactive once again while some threads are moved to another place (and hopefully not moved to the archives).

Damn the Official C&C Forums have to be one of the worst I've seen in terms of navigation, usability and functionality. Stuff like moving from topic to topic, posting/replying just seems so wrong and awkward. Add in the fact that these forums are totally broken....

In those particular forums none of the latest topics are displayed at all, only the pinned (sticky) topics.

Colours are ok, they fixed those, but the annoying grey dot background looks horrible when the page scrolls. There is a really nasty looking flickering happening there.

I don't post on the Official C&C Forums that often but I'd like them to more usable.

• Upvote 1

It'll take a long time before the official C&C forums will be fixed, but I wouldn't bet with high hopes though because not all of the features in a bugged forum will be fixed.

Finally someone confirmed this stability issue in the official C&C forums seen globally no matter which forum section you browse to (it's probably EA_Cire):

Most of you are probably as upset as I am - There currently is a major bug in the forum software that causes the forums view often to only display the Stickies of a particular section.

We are working with the company of the forum software to resolve the issue. Sorry for this major inconvenience - Definitely was not planned as a feature!

Help with the company of the forum software? Uh, neither the official EA forums nor the Tiberium Alliances forums had a problem like this. There is more than one major bug other than this one.

Edited by zocom7

In fact, we are working on a cool way to worship our past - Should be done soon. And the forums will contain all your old posts as well!

going through your bulletins:

1) Patches will come with the C&C Legacy portion of the website

2) Unfortunately, there is not much out there that has been approved by our Security team - And I rather go with vB than JForum :P

3) That will be a few weeks, as E3 is coming :)

EA_Cire, being more revealing on CNCNZ than the actual forums the change is being applied to.

He promised returning things related to oldies two years ago, not buying it this time.

Yeah, and now the forums are getting worse.

1. The headline "Forum Stablity" is a typo.

2. Users are losing posts for no apparent reason.

3. Threads continue to disappear among all forum sections. Even sticky threads too.

Update: 7/9/2013

Here comes another excuse:

FORUM LOVELINESS

Another day with more "Forum Fun" here. Because of rather adding new major bugs than fixing them with each "Bugfix-Release", we are forced to reevaluated the current solution.

Sorry for this major "Empty Response" inconvenience - Definitely was not planned as a feature!

There's no love in that forum anymore. To re-evaluate the current situation (not solution), please change the forum software to something else that is less buggy and more convenient to browse. That's the resolution.

Edited by zocom7

Well as @neogrant mentioned earlier in this thread, its vBulletin 5, its the cause of these problems. vBulletin 5 is garbage apparently. I'm guessing they are looking at alternative forum software. Hopefully it means an IP.Board ;)

Hopefully it means an IP.Board ;)

I believe their super-cool "security team" won't allow upgrading to that :D

I don't care what forum software they use, the point is they need to fix it up. Its a sorry and sad situation when the official forums of a major gaming franchise simply don't work. And no blame can be laid towards EA_CIRE, its not his department. I'm sure he's just as frustrated as everyone else.

I'm glad we are not using vBulletin 5 here.

• Upvote 1

For the very first time since Apoc was CM, EALA finally did what some people (including I) suggested to bring to the official C&C forums, an Invision Power Board forum!

Source: http://www.commandandconquer.com/forums/index.php/forum-137/announcement-1-forums-have-been-updated/

However, there still some features left to fix, add and enhance.

Also I can't believe they are using reputation and status posting features as well. As for me there = no warning points and +10 reputation. The one user I am quite surprised is CyborgBanana with +591 reputation (which is more than four times than the user with the most reputation in this forum).
Edit: I found another bug there. Somehow I was able to rate my reputation up on my own posts and threads! :o
Edited by zocom7

But its a good move switching an IP.Board forum. As no forum transition is ever perfect, little things always need to be fixed, I'm sure they will be over time. Improvements made, works better, can actually view all topics in each forum, but reading throgh http://www.commandandconquer.com/forums/index.php/topic/30476-so-the-forums-have-been-updated/ people are bitching about the little things.

Edit: I found another bug there. Somehow I was able to rate my reputation up on my own posts and threads! :o

Its not a bug. Its a setting. It can be set to allow the user to rate their own posts. Obviously we have that disabled here.

Its not a bug. Its a setting. It can be set to allow the user to rate their own posts.

What a stupid setting...

I mean, I actually advocate allowing users of software the ability to choose options over simplification and "streamlining" (that word makes me want to throw up, it is almost always just an excuse for why something is being made worse), but I cannot think of a good reason why a forum member should be permitted to vote for their own reputation (except maybe as a test of ego?).

In other words, in my opinion, the setting should exist, but no self-respecting forum should ever use it.

but no self-respecting forum should ever use it.

Since when are the official forums self-respecting? :P

Never said they were. In fact, I even considered mentioning that, but decided I would be stating the obvious.

What a stupid setting...

I mean, I actually advocate allowing users of software the ability to choose options over simplification and "streamlining" (that word makes me want to throw up, it is almost always just an excuse for why something is being made worse), but I cannot think of a good reason why a forum member should be permitted to vote for their own reputation (except maybe as a test of ego?).

In other words, in my opinion, the setting should exist, but no self-respecting forum should ever use it.

Its a default setting on a new installation of any IP.Board 3.x.x. And its one of the first things that got changed when we made the move to IPB3.