AZ-Stalker

RenX General Discussion

A place for everything that doesn't need its own thread (so the chatbox doesn't get crowded too often with RenX-only chatter).

------------------------------

Now, onto some generic discussion!

I have a couple of things on my mind which I need to get out of me. Firstly, I know everyone remembers the old red-glass-dome-helmet chem trooper from Renegade and I would love to see that armor set return in an updated form. The chem trooper was recently updated from a repainted nod soldier to a repainted new BH character model, and that doesn't sit well with me (albeit the new models look badass). Ofcourse, the devs can't focus on things like that all the time. Anyone else miss the red bucket head model?

chem_warrior.jpg

A second topic I'd like to draw attention to is what do other players think of exploits such as the APCs fitting through the trees at the central cave on Lakeside and getting behind both bases through the river-forest "infantry only" path. Since it isn't technically glitching, the vehicles CAN fit with some careful driving but anti-vehicle blockers do exist on both base sides of the river path if I understood correctly.

Also, SBH infiltration teams always go for the same paths on maps such as Xmountain and other maps, sticking to certain rock ledges and particular flanks, which makes it easy to spot them with systematic rapid fire from a defensive humvee or APC along those rock lines - it uncovers them once you get a proximity hit and you can continue shooting or just squish them. The problem arises when SBH teams, along with experienced clan members from certain servers, start calling this tactic "cheating", thinking that the vehicle defender is able to see SBHs at a distance. Which isn't the case. I've been on countless SBH infiltrations and have pretty much like everyone else figured out the best paths which comes in handy while on GDI defense. And thats all there is to it - you know the enemy's moves because you were the enemy and did those same moves. This is just a thing that has been bugging me and I wanted to say something on the matter.

Edited by Sonic

I have a couple of things on my mind which I need to get out of me. Firstly, I know everyone remembers the old red-glass-dome-helmet chem trooper from Renegade and I would love to see that armor set return in an updated form. The chem trooper was recently updated from a repainted nod soldier to a repainted new BH character model, and that doesn't sit well with me (albeit the new models look badass). Ofcourse, the devs can't focus on things like that all the time. Anyone else miss the red bucket head model?

Can't say it bothers me. I'm happy with the look of all the infantry models. What I would look to see added is the alternate skins that characters like Havoc and Sakura had in the original game.

Its only beta 3, the time will come when they can start fine tuning the appearance of the game.

A second topic I'd like to draw attention to is what do other players think of exploits such as the APCs fitting through the trees at the central cave on Lakeside and getting behind both bases through the river-forest "infantry only" path. Since it isn't technically glitching, the vehicles CAN fit with some careful driving but anti-vehicle blockers do exist on both base sides of the river path if I understood correctly.

I'm sure the Renegade X team are aware of these things, and given time they will fix them up. I don't like it when players take advantage of the glitches in some of the maps. But I will admit in few games I've jumping or getting to locations in vehicles that you should be able to reach ;)

What I would look to see added is the alternate skins that characters like Havoc and Sakura had in the original game.

I've completely forgotten that those two had alternate outfits. It would be great if some sort of clothing change was implemented, maybe something along the lines of Havoc's outfit being white for snow maps and brownish for desert maps. A lot of potential in there and diversity is a good thing in any case.

Though one thing I've never gotten over from the original Renegade was the fact that attack cycles were shown in cutscenes but were never *really* used as vehicles. I know balance is a big thing to tackle correctly and that there were probably many reasons for not including them, but dang it I'd really like to see Nod attack bikes in RenX - maybe as an exclusive vehicle for some kind of objective based game mode in which Nod has to use guerilla tactics to destroy some kind of slow moving GDI convoy or something. But eh, ideas are one thing, reality is another. The devs have their hands full as it is. One can only hope...

I rarely see any of you in game if it's not around a new RenX update so I figured I'd try and bump this section a bit. Just saw these WIP screenshots posted by a developer:

Fx2HiVa.jpg

lZRkR4h.jpg

A bit old news (by Nielsen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:02 pm @ RenX Forums), but I don't remember anyone mentioning these pictures. In any case I'm really looking forward to more snow oriented maps. A beta tester also stated that "Volcano, Complex and Under is being made. They're planned to be released soon, but most likely not within the next patch." (by XD_ERROR_XD » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:18 pm) :D

Reaaaally Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

I rarely see any of you in game if it's not around a new RenX update

I stopped playing about a month ago. Basically to spend less time at the computer. Renegade X is really good but I can spend every hour of free time playing it.

I stopped playing about a month ago. Basically to spend less time at the computer. Renegade X is really good but I can spend every hour of free time playing it.

I'm usually in game a couple of hours every week after work or college courses once I get free in the evening, but it's not like I'm there 24/7 heh. I just can't get enough out of RenX these days. I don't know if it's because I've gotten to know who among the regular players is very cooperative over at the TMX and EKT servers or because I've gotten way more experienced in how to get the most out of my actions in game. Either way, it's a real blast and I hope we get Under sometime soon - that one carries a lot of fond memories for me.

Edited by AZ-Stalker

New RenX news from the dev team!

But in between playing, we've also been working on a few things. We have been preparing a new version of Renegade X that will feature a few new multiplayer levels, fixes, and some gameplay changes. We will be sharing more details about our upcoming release soon - but you can expect a new version in early 2015.

http://renegade-x.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=74314

Also, fresh RenX map screenshots hot off the world builder! :D

- Under (already posted some time ago in this thread)

XriOGTu.jpg

[Look up for the other two shots]

- Complex

LpdhaYW.jpg

bUzAWkS.jpg

XJdcLAQ.jpg

- Canyon

eR5ZQyO.jpg

7bPxpmy.jpg

RtNk2HD.jpg

I hope I didn't overkill it with the high res pics in this thread. I'm just overly excited about the upcoming update. Can they be resized by some means via the text editor? (mods feel free to edit my post if you deem it necessary)

In any case, these pics need to be shown. :P

Looks like they rearranged the Nod base layout on Complex...

Looks like they rearranged the Nod base layout on Complex...

What do you mean exactly?

complex.jpg

I was mistaken, I was thinking Canyon when I was looking at Complex.

I'd really like to see City reborn in Renegade X. I always liked that map. Probably because it feels different with it's more urban environment.

city.jpg

City was fun gameplay-wise, but I never really liked the actual feel of it. The infinity shaped roads make it a bit too cartoony for my taste. Prehaps they'll remake it a bit like they did with Hourglass (Whiteout) to make a better fit.

Also, a bit more news following the Beta 4 announcement:

RypeL » Tue Dec 16, 2014 10:40 pm

A week ago it looked like we would release B4 this week. The changelist already is as big as B3, probably bigger. But we couldnt really activate enough people in the team to test and to do the last remaining bits yet and the closer christmas comes the more unlikely people are available. And if there would have been bigger problems during the holidays we probably wouldnt have had the people to react to that. Even though i think B4 already took too long again it probably was the better decission to go with like Jan/Feb as a releasedate wich also gives time for the mappers to finish the new maps as only Complex is fully done atm.
One of the issues left is that we need to make changes to the installer. This changes are done in line with other changes to make custom mapping possible. We want to release B4 in a way that will make it possible to do custom maps and it is a pretty safe bet now that it will support it. So now is a good time to get yourself familiar with the Unreal Editor if you want to get into mapping. The videos from kenz3001 are a good way to learn about mapping for Ren-X: https://www.youtube.com/user/kenz3001/videosOtherwise if you would like to do gameplay changes with mutators you can take a look here: viewtopic.php?f=137&p=142669#p142669 and if you have any questions regarding that and mutators in general you can PM me and i will try to answer them.
Edited by Sonic
Fixed quoted text colour for better readability.

The small red rocket ship looks like Thunderbird 3.

XabfpeH.jpgqlNwsLc.jpg

As for the small island in the distance, the Tracy family in the old TV show lived on an island. So I'm guessing its a Thunderbirds reference.

• Upvote 1