Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Which recent sound card brand works for WinXP?

I know the support of WinXP ended on April 2014, but before that I'll bet there are some sound card manufacturers still managed to have support of drivers under WinXP. The last and best sound card I had used for WinXP is the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium before Creative made all future Sound Blaster cards (with HD) to be compatible on Win7 and above versions. My dad recently bought a Sound Blaster Z which I already know is probably the best sound card so far for Win7 and it will have compatibility on Win10 when drivers are available.

Other than integrated sound cards on past and present motherboards, which recent sound card (other than Creative) works on WinXP? But I am picky on one other feature, it needs to have 7.1 and higher sound channels.

Tried Realtek?

Realtek? The company that created sound cards integrated into some motherboards? Sure I did had it in my main rig; sound is okay on playback but not perfect for gaming and watching movies. Recorded sound winded up distorted and bland.

I would use the Realtek sound card as a last resort for WinXP once I got the new Sound Blaster Z, but that means I need another speaker on that card.

Edited by zocom7

Realtek played almost everything I fed it with nicely. Recording sound would only be blamed on crappy microphones I'd get over the years.

Sound cards have been pointless for many years now. If you want better sound quality go with a external AMP and DAC.

If you want a sound card for [insert reason here] I have heard good things about ASUS.

I know ASUS made some sound cards, but they are not as popular as Creative Sound Blaster cards.

Is there a recent sound card that has good recording sound (that works from the sound card itself with or without microphone), works on XP, and generally have the same sound quality as most recent Sound Blaster cards have? (you know with 7.1+ channels, 24-bit/192 khz quality and of course with today's standard, 3D HD sound)

Asus sound cards are really the only ones worth getting anymore. Creative's are really bad, unless they improved in recent years. I've used Asus in the past and it worked very well. Though, really, your onboard is fine if you have a good sound system. You can put in a good sound card but if you have crappy $40 speakers, you're wasting your time. You're better off getting a pair of good bookshelf speakers, an amp, sub and speaker wire. Make your own sound system. I have bookshelf speakers and an amp and have no need for much else. Sound is crisp and clean, and that's running on a mobo sound card.