Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

The end of Flash as we know it

I am not talking about the TV show of "The Flash", I am talking about Adobe Flash Player.

I am getting aggrevated with those loading video issues involving flash. The Chinese video sites have the biggest pain of all. And still Dailymotion, Metacafe and Veoh still use flash.

It's been 20 years since the Flash Player 1.0 was released, first started by Macromedia.

I thought Adobe stopped the distribution link support for the Flash Player in Jan 2016 and they are still fixing/supporting until now. Now there's only a few days left before the distribution links go bye-bye: https://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/distribution3.html

I don't think there's another company to still be doing what Adobe does on Flash. Pretty much most of the sites that still use Flash need to convert to HTML5 or something else soon enough. Maybe by now HTML5 should have most compability materials working.

RIP Flash Player (1996-2016?)

I really hate Flash Player. Frank Klepacki's website used to require it, as did the website for Russian Standard. I checked both websites just now, and it appears both have abandoned Flash Player! The worst thing about Flash (besides it being proprietary) is that it's clunky software. Adobe also pissed off Linux users in 2006/2007, or somewhere around that time. Back then, you couldn't get a 64 bit version of Flash Player on Linux.

Flash will be here for a long time to come as a fallback for those morons who refuse to update their browsers, or because it legitimately works better for some types of web-based games.