Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

The latency problem with modern PCs

Well I was surprised after reading this latest PC Gamer article regarding latency: https://www.pcgamer.com/the-latency-problem-why-modern-gaming-pcs-are-slower-than-an-apple-ii/

So keyboard functioning and response time was much faster back then. I thought by now keyboards should reached the speeds of USB 3.0+ to catch up with latency.... except that there are no faster keyboards today. :mellow:

I did a test. When pressed the 'i' key to type the 'i' this post starts with, I paid attention to the time it takes between me pressing the key and he letter appearing in the box. It's instantaneous. Or at least it appears so quickly that I can't tell that there was any delay. In this case, the delay doesn't matter. Maybe it does for people who can type so fast that the machine can't keep up, but I doubt that an Apple II word processor can keep up with that.

Of course, if there was an actual problem here, they wouldn't have used a clickbait title. I for one can't member the last time I was sitting at my computer thinking "Man, these inputs don't happen FAST enough!"

Also, look at that speed!

The old system uses interrupts while for USB the buffer is polled... I'm not sure you can even type 125 characters a second.

44 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I'm not sure you can even type 125 characters a second.

Are you insulting South Korean StarCraft players?

Were you insulting my Mammoth Tanks? :D

1 minute ago, Lauren said:

Were you insulting my Mammoth Tanks? :D

100% Mammoth

0% Orca

'Nuff said.

Also A-Move. Quite important.