Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

The Next CNCNZ.com - Code Name Remix

It's been a while since my last blog update, why? well nothing to talk about I guess. Until now. I've been working on the next major layout revision for CNCNZ.com off and on over the past couple of weeks, something I've code named "Remix". It's still mostly just the testing stuff and concept stage right now though. The hardest part has been coming up with a new colour scheme, these colours have to be bang on perfect because I will be working with them everyday. The good news is I'm past the colour choosing hurdle, sorry no previews just yet. Since I'm working casually on it and taking my time with this new design I won't say when it will be done, I will not rush it for the sake of having a new layout. But it will be up and running well before the launch of C&C3, like months before. Feel free to offer any suggestions about the new design, what would you like to see, what improvements over the current CNCNZ.com etc....

Improvements? Why even make any? It functions and does so very well. It's easy to navigate and find what you're looking for. Well, the only suggestion I would make is a download search feature. That's really it.

I think its good to update the site's look every now and then. Introduce something new and improved. I do understand that the current site works well but from my view point the layout is starting to feel old. The current site design just over 2 years old now.

As it stands now all that will be done will be a new colour scheme and new graphics around the site, the actual layout won't change all that much unless some brilliant new idea pops into my head. I just want to see if anyone has any ideas for new features of improvements they would to see.

A file search for the download section is a good idea and its something I've taken note of.

I know you've chosen the colours, but man, a return to the pink/purple of cnc.net.nz would rock :thumbsup:

Hot chicks.

Well maybe not. :P

But please for the love of god not an overabudance of flash... Those sites are extremely annoying... :evil:

A new scheme might be fun, but make sure the purplescheme stays an option in a member's profile.

Still....if it ain't broke, don't fix it :wink:

I think a pleasant mix of Magenta, Fluorescent Yellow and Cyan, with plenty of flashing .gifs :P

Are you using Tables or CSS? CSS seems to be the future-proof thing to do, but to be honest, its balls-aching trying to get it right cross-browser, even my beloved Firefox manages to spit out the occasional error or two (with hairy code of course).

We use a combination of both table and CSS Stylesheets. I know I do on my own site, Guild Of The Shadow Nation.

Did you know that Sonic's plans for this site are so secret, I do not know of them myself yet :P

I know you've chosen the colours, but man, a return to the pink/purple of cnc.net.nz would rock :thumbsup:

Well for the record we never had a pink colour scheme, but back in the old TSNNZ days we did have purple layout, not the dark purple you see now, I mean PURPLE like this.

A new scheme might be fun, but make sure the purplescheme stays an option in a member's profile.

When and if the main site changes the new colour scheme will become default on the forums. The current cncnzPurple style for the forums will always remain an option for anyone wanting to keep it. Just as the old cncnzBlue is available now with the eawStyle, cnc10 and subSilver styles.

We use a combination of both table and CSS Stylesheets. I know I do on my own site, Guild Of The Shadow Nation.

Did you know that Sonic's plans for this site are so secret, I do not know of them myself yet :P

Yes currently its a combination of tables and CSS but not effectively implented, but it works and displays decent enough through Firefox, IE and Opera. I know CSS layouts are the way of the future but I don't understand it enough to build the entire layout out of it. I can already confirm that the new layout will be table based with CSS controlling the colours/font sizes etc....

I'm not keeping anything secret from anyone, I have announced the next major layout change is being worked on and thats enough for now. When I have something decent to show I will give people a preview. But not everyone though ;)

I did manage to keep Empire-At-War.com hidden away from you all last June though didn't I :lol:

Meh, a tiberium green color would of been cool, oh wells. :P

I agree with Fenring on the download feature.

A green scheme would be cool, as would a red one, if colors dont clash too much.

I remember a while back there was a box on the front page "From the forums" and it had the top 10 topics (most recently posted in) displayed and had links to them. That was a nifty feature, and useful for those of us who dont browse every forum section looking for new threads.

A green scheme would be cool, as would a red one, if colors dont clash too much.

I remember a while back there was a box on the front page "From the forums" and it had the top 10 topics (most recently posted in) displayed and had links to them. That was a nifty feature, and useful for those of us who dont browse every forum section looking for new threads.

The new colours have been finalised and shown to the site staff, they liked them. I've decided on the overall appearance of the new design as well, I will begin recoding the layout soon.

That "from the forums" thing is available, you will find an expanded version of it on CNCNZ.com Page2 - http://www.cncnz.com/page2/#ForumFocus

ah. Perhaps making page2 a bit more noticeable (my fault for being lazy)

I think Page2 is easy to see, there is a bunch of links in the left nav menu to it, another set of them in the right side bar, more links in the "Latest Webmaster Blog" area..... you only have to look around the page you know ;)

scuse me. maybe a "listening room" for C&C soundtracks? Similar to Frank Klepacki's site?

That's a very good idea...especially for people like me who's XCC Mixer crashes every 30 sec :evil:

reinstall it, and when using it, close all other programs (unless XCC related) and dont overload it. Mine used to be sensitive to "doing too much". I have a habit of trying to do a lot at once on comps due to my 768MB RAM. 8)

Just an update on the new layout. I've made some real progress, sorted out the overall design of what will go where. The new colours have been tweaked once again, the new scheme is much brighter and should come up great on the forums. Those of you on the CNCNZ.com staff who seen the sample I showed to you forget that, its history :lol:

No date set for it will be live on the site, it could just appear un-announced one day ;)

Its taken me longer that I wanted but I finally feel like I've come with something I can be happy with.

brighter? Hehe, I have my forum color set to the black C&C10 right now.

Hopefullly these will be a hit, and nothing like that Light Blue scheme that was up for what, 2 glorious days last year. :wink:

brighter? Hehe, I have my forum color set to the black C&C10 right now.

When the new style arrives you will still have the choice of whatever forum style you want.

Don't worry the new look CNCNZ.com is nothing like the crappy light blue design that I used for a short time before dumping it.

Thats good to hear. Just wanted to make sure :wink:

Its taken me longer that I wanted but I finally feel like I've come with something I can be happy with.
Take your time...just make sure it's good, and I won't mind the wait one bit :wink:

Saw the new style, not bad, I'll have to get used to the new navigation.

So...I'm geussing you need new banners?