Sign in to follow this  
jewe

Tiberian sun has encountered an error and cannot be continue

How i can get this work? Playing couple minutes and that appears...

Guest Rabbit

You're gonna have to give us a LITTLE bit more information than that.

What kind of system are you running?

Any previous problems?

Did you just install the game, or is this coming out of nowhere?

Is it a cracked version?

Yes, of course.

Running on:

Windows xp sp2

p4 2,8ghz ht, 1024mb ddr400 ram,

Ati radeon 9200 128mb

Game is original Tiberian sun, updated 2,03. No previous problems

and just installed and played skirmish.

I don't know if this is the same problem, but I've been playing the original Tiberian Sun games on XP. And I get regular "internal errors". Well after the nth time occuring during the final gdi mission I finally got fed-up and googled some solutions.

Apparentlty the problem relates to a "CTFMon.exe" process.

http://www.forumplanet.com/planetcnc/post....p;t=3&rn=10

This apparently relates to the alternative input device with the language bar...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q282599/

Apparently this file is installed with Office, but it couldn't have because I'm running OpenOffice on this comp. I'm just wondering if there is a community patch that has already fixed this. Our files section only has a file to help with mod launching... I think there was a C&C:TFD community patch but I'm wondering where it is, and whether it will work on this individual installation. Now that I think about it... the patch was just for the movies!

Anyway I'm going to try the suggestion of ending the process in the task manager but I'm hoping for a more permanent solution or more information.

-gben

boohoo... neither solution seems to have helped me... I did figure out that it will create an except.txt file... So I've copied the top post with the vain hope that wiser heads than mine can prevail...

Error code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Description: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.

Access address:048B1000 was read from.

Exception occurred at 006703D4

Version 2.03

Internal Version 2.0

Release Build: 10 by STEVE_TALL - 06/05/2000 - 14:27:06

CPU 1586, MMX Yes, Vendor: GenuineIntel

Details:

Eip:006703D4 Esp:0012F1F8 Ebp:0000000B

Eax:0000000B Ebx:0215C94C Ecx:0000077D

Edx:00000000 Esi:000000C6 Edi:048B0106

EFlags:00010202

CS:001b SS:0023 DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003b GS:0000

Bytes at CS:EIP (006703D4) : 66 8B 14 4F 66 8B CD 8B C2 66 D3 E8 8B 0D 8C 2C 7A 00 D2 E0 66 8B 0D 98 2C 7A 00 88 44 24 10 8B

Stack dump (* indicates possible code address) :

0012F1F8: 048B0106

0012F1FC: 04F5ED20

0012F200: 00000029

0012F204: 0215C94C

0012F208: 00181818

0012F20C: 006A95B0

(snip rest...)

Anybody have any clues?

-gben

Maybe this will help?

Hey fellas worry no more....i may have the solution u need. I 2 had the problem and i got onto EA about it...eventually we sussed it out. The easiest way to fix it is to end the process "ctfmon.exe" in the task manager. For a more permanent fix try this:

1. Quit all Office programs.

2. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. NOTE: In Windows XP, click Start and then click Control Panel.

3. In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs.NOTE: In Windows XP, click Add or Remove Programs.

4. In the Currently installed programs list, click to select Microsoft Office XP product, where Office XP product is the name of the specific Office product being used. If you are using a standalone version of one of the Office programs, click to select the appropriate product in the list. Click Change.

5. In the Maintenance Mode Options dialog box, select Add or Remove Features, and then click Next. This displays the Choose installation options for all Office applications and tools dialog box.

6. Click the plus sign (+) next to Office Shared Features to expand it.

7. Click the icon next to Alternative User Input, and then select Not Available.

8. Click Update.

If that dont work:

Go to Regional and Language settings in control panel. Click Languages tab, then Details. Click Advanced then tick the box that disables advanced text services.

And if that dont work:

Just make sure before u run C & C that the process "ctfmon.exe" is no longer running in the task manager.

Good Luck

Thanks for the attempt, but that's the information I had linked in one of the above posts... and it doesn't help.

(Besides the fact that I don't have Office installed, I have done the other things mentioned anyway).

Right now I'm trialing "compatibility with Win95" to see if that helps. I got through the first two Nod missions with this on, after finishing the GDI final mission last night.

See if that makes *any* difference.

Anybody know which is the best site to head for further advice?

-gben

(GDI TibSun campaign is a pig's breakfast of confusion. IM*H*O)

Well up to Nod mission #7 or #8 and I haven't had any problems with internal errors since turning on the "Windows Compatability" gadget. I wouldn't say this is a definitive solution yet, as I haven't really stressed out the game with large numbers of units or anything... but so far so good.

So try the M$ solution and the right-clicking the icon and turning on the compatibility see if that helps???

(boyoh - the Nod campaign is so much better in terms of coherrance, and flow of storyline. You can tell it was finished first, and GDi was just slopped together on the day it was packaged. At least they could have put some text background information between the expensive cutscenes... maybe it was the expensive CGI that was missing... anyway I'm guessing I would have a better impression of the game if I played Nod first all those years ago)

-gben

For the record, I have completed the entire NOD campaign without a single internal error that was the bane of my GDI story.

so end the ctfmon process, disable the alt language input thing and make sure it's 'win 95 compatible' if you're having this problem.

-gben

i know this is a slighty old thread but it's this error that brought me to these forums, i've experienced it a few times while playing.

i've noticed that this only happens when units are being attacked by NOD lasers, i'm not certain but i think it usually happens when it's happening off screen and you scroll to it while the laser is still firing. i have a friend who has noticed the same thing.

i'm running the game under win2k and using the latest patch.

How i can get this work? Playing couple minutes and that appears...

Ok firstof my system is athlon x2 4200+ 2.2ghz 2gb ram ddr 400 with 9600gt 512mb graphic card and 320gb maxtor hard drive.

in response to your question I TO had the same problem it happens 95% of the time in skirmishes the internal error is caused by access violation.

I only get the error message when playing as NOD in Skirmish.

The cause is when you build Laser Turret and build something else off screen and the Laser Turret fires off screen you hear either infantry dying like "ahhhh" then you get a sound loop of a laser firing and and it says tiberian sun has encountered an error and is unable to continue.

The actual cause is still unknown but from what i seen in the .mix file its missing the LASER animation code :| so i patched my version to 2.03 and cracked still had the same problem.

SO i opened patch.mix file in SUN folder with wordpad i clicked on [edit] then [find] Laser Turret i scrolled down slowly to Primary=Laserfire2 and replaced with Primary=MechRailgun.

i saved it and runned the game again in skirmish as NOD and the laser turret i build fire a railgun shot and ive played 2 skirmishs as NOD with about 10 laser turrets around my base and i finished each skirmish WITHOUT the error message popping up problem solved :).

WaveClass errors. The bane of all TS players everywhere.

There's no such a 'laser animation' since it's all drawn by the game. What you've experienced is the previously mentioned WaveClass error, which is an error with the game engine itself, and DirectDraw, as we have come to discover in the modding community. By accident, LKO discovered that a modified DLL originally for RA2, was able to alleviate the WaveClass errors and it requires no rules.ini editing of any kind but it is limited and does not work for everyone unfortunately.

As a point of interest, this error can also be fired off through GDI Disruptors or any units using the sonic-resonance style weapon systems.

WaveClass errors. The bane of all TS players everywhere.

There's no such a 'laser animation' since it's all drawn by the game. What you've experienced is the previously mentioned WaveClass error, which is an error with the game engine itself, and DirectDraw, as we have come to discover in the modding community. By accident, LKO discovered that a modified DLL originally for RA2, was able to alleviate the WaveClass errors and it requires no rules.ini editing of any kind but it is limited and does not work for everyone unfortunately.

As a point of interest, this error can also be fired off through GDI Disruptors or any units using the sonic-resonance style weapon systems.

True and good point i guess the game designers were noobs when they made it hence all the errors and map glitches there has to be some way to modify those dll files and works for all units. also i just find replacing the laser beam with a railgun shot is much more real as tiberian sun is in 2029 lasers by then wouldnt be that powerful as depicted in games only railguns are starting to emerge in real life. but when i replaced those weapons the laser turret fired to railgun shots it hasnt crashed since i dont know why ? ill try with gdi disrupter and see what i can do at the moment i was especially having fun with tiberium in rules.ini like making the green tiberium worth 200 and blue 400 and making the harvester hold more tiberium i might put a macine gun on the harvesters

tiberian sun is in 2029 lasers by then wouldnt be that powerful as depicted in games only railguns are starting to emerge in real life.

There are ways to make lasers many times more powerful, however, being light, they have the major downside of being reflected off shiny surfaces. A new theoretic type of laser using gamma rays could be hundreds of times stronger than current light lasers, but it is probably unlikely that they would be put to use by a faction like Nod by 2029. They do have stealth technology though, they may invest in other high tech ventures.

I think the MMK2 rail gun is a little overpowered for a laser turret and it doesn't fit in with the TS/TW/KW canon having GDI use rail guns (although Nod had them in Renegade).

Making a new weapon to replace the laser would be my advice, but I guess that depends on how much you know about modding.

That works. :P

True and good point i guess the game designers were noobs when they made it hence all the errors and map glitches there has to be some way to modify those dll files and works for all units. also i just find replacing the laser beam with a railgun shot is much more real as tiberian sun is in 2029 lasers by then wouldnt be that powerful as depicted in games only railguns are starting to emerge in real life. but when i replaced those weapons the laser turret fired to railgun shots it hasnt crashed since i dont know why ? ill try with gdi disrupter and see what i can do at the moment i was especially having fun with tiberium in rules.ini like making the green tiberium worth 200 and blue 400 and making the harvester hold more tiberium i might put a macine gun on the harvesters

It's not that they were noobs. It's that their equipment didn't have that problem. It's the OS and equipment we use now that gives the WaveClass so many issues. It has to do with DirectDraw and the game not wanting to use it for rendering a lot of the graphics, which is why that DLL improves game performance. The DLL doesn't work on specific units. It works on the DirectDraw to disable it from running alongside Tiberian Sun and for whatever reason, it prevents the WaveClass from bombing.

Also. You can't put a weapon on a harvester in TS. It won't actually harvest...

That works. :P

It's not that they were noobs. It's that their equipment didn't have that problem. It's the OS and equipment we use now that gives the WaveClass so many issues. It has to do with DirectDraw and the game not wanting to use it for rendering a lot of the graphics, which is why that DLL improves game performance. The DLL doesn't work on specific units. It works on the DirectDraw to disable it from running alongside Tiberian Sun and for whatever reason, it prevents the WaveClass from bombing.

Also. You can't put a weapon on a harvester in TS. It won't actually harvest...

Im gonna try and put a Vulcan cannon as its primary or secondary weapon if it works ill report back :) however i want tiberian sun to work fine with no errors hence this forum so a railgun would be more realistic in terms of date 2029 as laser WILL reflect shiny surfaces like armour as a railgun is a solid ferromagnetic projectile exceeding mach 10

So I did a bit of experimenting on my own about this because I want to play with a friend and this internal error business was not helping :). First I did a fresh install of Tiberian Sun and patched it. I played a couple skirmish games and without fail I would get the wave error. Then I added the ddraw.dll to the game directory and the error disappeared. I played five more skirmish games on speed 6 and 9th level tech and did not get any more internal errors but I did get a new error... It seemed that when I had scrolled close to the edge of the map and was in a battle on rare occasions it would seem like the game would freeze but in fact it was just the battle map. When I tried to move around the mouse all the units and buildings started showing this strange effect similar to when you show mouse trails for your mouse (sorry I didn't take a picture). The mini map would be fine as would the build menu but unless I saved the game and loaded it the effect wouldn't go away. I then changed the graphics settings from 640 * 480 to 800 * 600 and the mouse trail effect stopped happening but all of a sudden the internal errors started happening again. As far as I could tell this time it was completely random, after 5 minutes or 20 minutes it would just crash (not to do with wave errors I checked). So I changed it to 640*480 and I've played another 6 games without problem. As long as you don't play on a map where your base really hugs the edge of the map you should be free from the mouse trail problem.

First of all, this topic is a bit old to be resurrecting.

Second of all, telling people where you get your game cracks from is not acceptable here.

I suggest you have a look at the Rules & Guidelines.