Sign in to follow this  
Saracen

A Team/Feature To Be Proud Of...

With 2007 fast approaching, I've come to realise one thing. 2006 has certainly been a good year for articles at CNCNZ.com. In January alone we cooked up no less than 5 articles from 5 different authors, myself included. Then afterwards, the brakes slammed on.

The last 11 months of this year it's been a single horse race. I've been the only article writer for the site, and well, in that time, I've only done an extra 4 articles myself. So you may be thinking, do I have anything else to come?

Well in fact I do. Before Christmas I aim to write one more article for 2006. A fair size one at that, and it'll kick off a project I shall be resuming into 2007 and beyond. But that isn't all, oh no, not by a long shot. I aim to produce 12 articles a year, one for every month and then some, by myself.

But it still isn't going to end there. In 2007 we have a little well known title named C&C 3 slated for release in March. Now here's the plan. I'm looking to bring some new people to the Articles team, and I'm starting here in these very forums. Because, if many have failed to notice, you can all type a lengthy response to a forum post should the need arise. And these come, from passion. And since C&C 3 will, in my mind and well as the rest of yours, stir up some sort of passion.... I believe there's an article inside the mind of every single one of you.

So here's what I'm asking.

I'm looking to add 2 people to the CNCNZ staff to work on articles. The aim of these 2 members will be to produce 6 articles within a 12 month period.

I'm also looking towards all the forum members to produce a single article (or more) on anything they choose to do with the gaming industry, that'll be relevant to CNCNZ.com in some way. It can be on gameplay, concept art, Graphical User Interfaces, RTS games on consoles, EA, Petroglyph, Relic, Massive entertainment, and hell, throw in comparisons and business decisions and plans relating to all the above.... Whatever tickles your fancy.

The minimum target is 36 articles in 12 months. I want 2007 to be the year of the article writers here at CNCNZ. And my reasons are two-fold:

Firstly, I wish to have a large library of articles for 2007. A prominent feature which can stand proud amongst the CNCNZ Podcast, the many blogs, and the whole site in general. Because when you do look back on 2006, things have been a little quiet.

Secondly October 2007 will mark 10 years of CNCNZ.com. What better way than to have over 25 articles to show off for the year so far with many more to come. Wouldn't that be great!?

The fact is, it's not inspiration that's the problem, it's imagination. So long as this imagination can run freely, 36 articles isn't so hard. So who fancies a go? Discuss here, and if you would be interested in becoming an article writer for CNCNZ's 2007 Staff, send me a PM.

Hmm i was only thinking about this a few days ago when i realised you were the only article writer. I had a few ideas but im not sure at the moment. If i find i am able to think of a few more il put my hand up

I don't know about articles, but I can write a few FAQ's for the fun of it :wink:

And if I think of something that I'm really passionate about, I'll write an article :)

Guest Rabbit

I'll be writing a huge article / making a podcast based on today's events. :)

Alright then, let's elaborate a bit more on 2007 shall we?

I'm going to suggest we put some ideas down on the article front. I said I want people stepping forward and ideas flowing, but people are still shying away from the idea. Hell if you can't spell, use word or Firefox 2.0 to check your spellings. If you're grammar is terrible, then proof read over and over. Or hell just do what I do and write your thoughts down on paper like a blog.

I believe that we should still have a standard, but we should loosen up on the conventional means of article writing. I'd prefer a more journalistic or blog style. The myth that articles should be 100% pure plan an structure is ok if you want to have a stab at the Nobel prize for literature. But we are not J.R.R. Tolkien or Shakespeare.

The way I see it is if someone has a passion about something they'd like to share, type it out. Then expand on it, try and create something of it. Who knows, it might just be the article everyone wants to talk about. Believe me, its a great feeling when that happens.

Anyway, if you're not sure people. Send a PM, e-mail or catch me on a chat client. I'll be happy to discuss roles you can play in this furthermore to you. :wink:

Guest Rabbit

I gotta agree with King here guys. Being an article writer is fun! I enjoyed that bit. However, I seem to have trouble writing them now that I'm into the whole podcast bit, and because of some... troubles in the past.

However, we need an article team. We want to have articles from more than just the staff. We don't just want a page 2 to the page 2 we already have.

So come on! A new decade of C&C is coming! Expand your imagination!

Before any new articles get added I should probably sort out the articles section. Its changed a bit since the new look site when live back in October.

Well the one I've just posted will be my last for this year. I was determined to get at least 6 out this year and I've done that.

Guest Rabbit

And ya did a great job! :P

Ah...articles...great things!

If i didn't have cncnation and hl2.net commitments with running/articling etc. i would most definately offer to help with this!

But alas don't have the time for a third position like this

:(

Been meaning to sorta write this...

RTS, as we all know, it stands for Real Time Strategy, but honestly, when looking now, where is the real strategy?

Go into any game online, and its always exact same 'tactic'.

You rush to the oil derrick, you build a million of the same units, you use only artillery in the thousands or its an early tank rush.

Where is the strategy in that?

Take Generals for example, every online game I used to play there was very much the same, the USA would do an aircraft rush (either with or without an Aurora), the chinese would simply build a million transports with tank hunters, and the GLA would use the very infamous scudlauncher-tunnel network.

And that is basicly it! One way or the other, all the tactics run down to the same thing, its either a rush, a million units, or a cheap way of 'abusing' artillery.

Where are the days that we used to play for hours on end, each strategy we thought off being balanced by the other.

Is it the game itself? Has EA 'tempted' people by putting such units ingame that allow for this kind of 'tactic'? Or is it us using them as such?

Sure, I know how tempting it can be to use unbalanced tactics or use the more cheaper ones, but it ruins the originality of the game.

In TS, it was a race, who could get the first Devil's Tongue loaded with Engineers into the enemy base.

In RA2, a few Demolition Trucks or Apocalypse Tanks under an Iron Curtain, or nine Prism Tanks with a Chronosphere made you the winner.

In Generals, its rushing with a million of the same units.

The funniest thing about it is, people forget what they are actually playing. For instance, I played GLA sometime ago, and for as far as I know, Im the only one online who even bothers to build Bomb Trucks, even though they can be devastating on armies IF used properly.

I saw my opponent building an army (all in the same spot), and I managed to get a few Bomb Trucks in there, cutting the army into tiny bits.

My opponent then called me a hacker for using a 'bomb' unit that looked like his! (the bomb truck can disguise himself as an enemy unit)

The guy totally forgot Bomb Trucks even existed.

How far have we gone then? That we stick so much to the same tactic that everything else is becoming history?

I stopped playing Generals because every game is the same everytime.

Perhaps C&C 3 will bring some new blood into this, hopefully having players that will utilize more then just one unit, because its just getting old and boring, taking the fun out of the game.

Really guys, instead of using the same tactic over and over again, try something new eh? Surprise your opponent for once.

You say you need articles, I post one, and no comments, what gives :P

It's a good article :nod: I'll elaborate when I find some time once I finish the essay and lab report I have to do before monday :wink: