Sign in to follow this  
Zombieguy

How to aim/shoot well?

meh, a good zh buddy is so much better. especially if u play soo many 2v2s together, u play with great coordination and teamwork, in addition to developing some specific strategies to combine the 2 different tactics.

meh, a good zh buddy is so much better. especially if u play soo many 2v2s together, u play with great coordination and teamwork, in addition to developing some specific strategies to combine the 2 different tactics.

Ditto. :D

Firstly, my sincerest apologies for sounding dumb, but I use the arrow keys when I play any fps, and use all the surrounding buttons for my optional extras, flashlights, use etc etc (i have the reload button on the side of my mouse). Please tell me why the 'wasd' keys are better than the arrow and why I should change them back to the 'wasd' format?

The WASD keys allow you to strafe, as in moving left and right, rather than just moving the camera angle. Its alot easier to shoot people when the camera is fixed. :P

Wow, my left and right keys do that anyway, I use the mouse to turn round.

I gotta say the same. I use the arrows, it's a comfort thing, and I have "r" for reloading and "e" for use generally, except in Deus Ex games, which are more complicated.

And you can set your arrows to strafe, too. I've done that since I got HALO. I use the mouse to turn, as well as "Delete" and "Insert" to make my guy turn faster, good for a quick 180.

So yeah.

I use the arrow keys. I use left and right to turn and delete and page down to strafe. When my hand is there, my pinky is on enter and my thumb is on the 0 key. I have reload on mouse wheel. Any time I need to shoot, my fingers are on all the right keys, and any time I need anything else, I don't need to shoot. Oh, and to get better at aiming, play minesweeper. If you can beat expert in less than 150 seconds, you get good at aiming. You have to click squares smaller than the average head really fast.

See now, I usually play Renegade on my laptop, which makes it impossible to use the arrow keys because the insert, page down and up, and insert buttons are on the other side of mt keyboard. The only way I could see myself using the arrow keys is if i had a reload button on my mouse, but still then it would be hard to press something like E5 really fast so you don't waste any time at the purchase terminal, and that also lets you be a cheap bastard by using a terminal through a wall or refilling heath and ammo in the middle of a shootout. :P

wasd for me....I used to always use arrows, but all the buttons used the most (E, R, F) are there

It's just too inconvenient otherwise ;)

Please tell me why the 'wasd' keys are better than the arrow and why I should change them back to the 'wasd' format?

Well assuming that whether you use wasd or cursor keys as your default config, wasd is probably considered a better position on the keyboard for right hand players as all other keys are in the middle of the left hand (on wasd) and right hand on mouse.

Maybe you cursor lovers are lefties???

Evil people in my opinion, and should have been drowned as babies.

Aiming seems to be the thing that is seperating me from noob status to the elite. I understand the damage and the obvious 'don't stand still in one spot you idiot' mechanics of all FPS games.. but still I'm constantly surrounded by better players, and terrible k/d ratios in my games.

So while I understand the mechanics, I've yet to master them. Sure practise makes perfect, but I heard a great quote a few years ago...

bad practise keeps you bad!

... for instance a head shot seems to be the best target as infantry? But when fighting vehicles - are their damage zones? And as a vehicle, where do you target infantry? Tank v tanks are their any tips? Where is the sweet spot when attacking with a flame tank for instance?

We're talking renegay here but the same tips would probably help me in APB... like with the artillery obviously!

It's why my apb stats will tend to show that I perform more of a support role rather than Saracen's deposed king of C&C style.

Ok I still have fun, but every now and again - i really would like to go for a MVP!!!

Old topic I know. Sorry. But why reinvent the wheel???

-gben

for instance a head shot seems to be the best target as infantry? But when fighting vehicles - are their damage zones? And as a vehicle, where do you target infantry? Tank v tanks are their any tips? Where is the sweet spot when attacking with a flame tank for instance?

I know that there are weak points on minor structures and I believe that there are weak points on vehicles too, but I am not certain.

We're talking renegay here but the same tips would probably help me in APB... like with the artillery obviously!

Well try to take out arties from behind if you can, but if you are just a rifle soldier, try to get as close as possible to it without letting it run you over. arties have low health so you can kill them easily with a rifle.

And I think the sweet spot on the arty (if there is one) is the big barrel on top.

And I think the sweet spot on the arty (if there is one) is the big barrel on top.

heh heh... sorry I meant help AS an arty not AGAINST an arty!

(Arced shells, seems to be an acquired skill, that I don't have the desire to practise on a test map, nor the balls to do it in a MP match.)

minor detail.

-gben

(Bring on the Beta!)