Sign in to follow this  
Avist Torch

Kane's Wrath and Tiberium Continuity

Hello. I'm Avist from the C&C 3 boards.

I've been trying to force EA to acknowledge continuity by including some old-style Tiberium in the "after-TS" portion of Kane's Wrath, and I need your help to make it a BIG DEAL. What I ask of you is to go to the C&C 3 forums and support my movement. Do not flame, spam, or any such thing, but merely show your support. With enough people calling for this, we can make this a big enough deal that they will be forced to at least answer, which will be the first step.

I know that some of you here have given up on EA's C&C. I can understand your reasoning. However, I have not quite given up yet, and plan to undertake the nearly impossible task of uniting whatever members of the C&C community still care into a common front demanding that EA not screw up C&C continuity.

Oh, and sorry if this seems too advert-ish. :? I've just seen that I'm not going to get enough support from those on the C&C 3 official boards. Most have already given up.

EA listens, and I have a feeling they already have everything planned this late in the game for KW so I don't see the point to.

But please tell me you know KW is suppose to tie up TS and C&C 3... So they're giving you.. what you want... so... why are you... doing this? :S

Well, let's see...

1. I asked the question directly multiple times on the official forums and was ignored, so I'm a bit skeptical.

2. The C&C 3 official forums have pretty much taken it for granted that EA is only going to create continuity problems with Kane's Wrath. Myself, I'm not so pessimistic, but I'm a bit suspicious about this point in particular.

3. Many of the "wait-and-sees" of the original C&C 3 went badly, so I'm just making sure.

4. If they wanted to reassure the community, they'd have shown it in a screenshot already, but that hasn't happened.

Truth be told, I haven't been around here before :? and don't know what the attitudes here are towards C&C 3 and EA. Most places I've been are quite pessimistic, so I might have messed up in making the assumption there was pessimism around here as well. Either way, though, I don't feel that the issue will be answered unless enough people ask this question.

EDIT: I'd also like to make it a bigger issue than some of the less reasonable (like a request for lots of TS units/structures to return) or less important (Nod infantry being militia instead of TS-style) issues some people think are important.

Hi there :)

The consensus here is mostly positive, but, altough im also not here a long time, i guess many left, and, guessing again, they left because they lost interest, so only the content remained, but correct me if im wrong.

Cypher, whom you may know, reassured me that he and other fans helped with the project, and that KW is going into the right direction.

Im also skeptical about everything considered KW, but because i love TW, i, quite certainly, will like KW too, if even i hope that they listen to those who werent satisfied with TW. Want the community to be happy (Though to balance, albeit)

They do listen a bit to the fans, however, and i think they do a better job than with most franchises.

Apoc roams sometimes around here, so try ot hit him with PMs, or at the equally positive CnCden.com.

And theres also planetcnc.gamespy.com.

You could also write down everything youve got the impression its important from the EA boards, and i could try to send it to Apoc.

Btw, Cypher also wrote me that Apoc told the mods to scan through the forums and hit him with suggestions he could pass on to EA.

Well, let's see...

1. I asked the question directly multiple times on the official forums and was ignored, so I'm a bit skeptical.

2. The C&C 3 official forums have pretty much taken it for granted that EA is only going to create continuity problems with Kane's Wrath. Myself, I'm not so pessimistic, but I'm a bit suspicious about this point in particular.

3. Many of the "wait-and-sees" of the original C&C 3 went badly, so I'm just making sure.

4. If they wanted to reassure the community, they'd have shown it in a screenshot already, but that hasn't happened.

1. LOL. Official forums. Errr... Anyways, EA won't release info saying "LOL HERE'S THE STORY TO PROVE WE'RE DOING IT RIGHT BUT IT RUINS THE GAME". Doesn't happen, EA doesn't like solid answers, as most companies don't anyways. Sega did it and now they're paying for it. :haha:

2. Yea, it'd be kind of odd if they fixed it perfectly then the next C&C game they totally **** up. Not likely, but I guess it is a possibility, but no matter how fan input it wouldn't fix story-anything. EA listened to us in C&C 3 (Or so they said :)) yet it didn't turn out quite right.

3. What do you mean by "wait-and-see's?". Once a game goes gold, that's it. All you can do is patch and balance.

4. No screenshots? Ummm, http://www.cncnz.com/gallery/index.php?cat=14

Your from the official forums... Oh god no.... haha... :haha: I joke I do, really..

As for storyline content and general cannon, meh... EA can't really **** it up anymore than what they already have. And if they do, well good for EA. :P

I'm more concerned with how they manage to deal with gameplay issues. Cause if it takes the same amount of time to get the balance of C&C3 to where it is now (Not perfect, but a hell of a lot better than 1.0), then I'd be pissed. :nod:

Did you like CnC3, black?

I don't see how that pertains to the my points. Read past topics or posts, find it out for yourself.

Well, let's see...

1. LOL. Official forums. Errr... Anyways, EA won't release info saying "LOL HERE'S THE STORY TO PROVE WE'RE DOING IT RIGHT BUT IT RUINS THE GAME". Doesn't happen, EA doesn't like solid answers, as most companies don't anyways. Sega did it and now they're paying for it. :haha:

2. Yea, it'd be kind of odd if they fixed it perfectly then the next C&C game they totally **** up. Not likely, but I guess it is a possibility, but no matter how fan input it wouldn't fix story-anything. EA listened to us in C&C 3 (Or so they said :)) yet it didn't turn out quite right.

3. What do you mean by "wait-and-see's?". Once a game goes gold, that's it. All you can do is patch and balance.

4. No screenshots? Ummm, http://www.cncnz.com/gallery/index.php?cat=14

1. Yeah. That place is quite the n00bfest.

2. They fixed little details claiming that they were listening to us. I'd much rather have Old-style tiberium be one of those details than a different Nod uniform. :roll:

3. Just throughout development. I rememebr there being 3 opinions on the forums throughout development: "Wait and see", "This'll suck", and "LOL I'll troll the hell out of this place".

4. I meant, no screenshots with old-style tiberium, which leads me to believe they don't plan to put it in.

Did you like CnC3, black?

I don't see how that pertains to the my points. Read past topics or posts, find it out for yourself.

Well, thats the issue: The vibe i got from you is ambigious :P

Torch: I dont think that there will be old-style tiberium.

I mean they dont even plan to include snow maps.

I like C&C 3 as a game, MP wise. Tiberium storywise and acting... No thanks... It was mediocre. I'll support C&C 3 on the points I find right about the game but if you nail something down about C&C 3 that I dislike, hell, I'll help you lift up the cross to nail it to.

Old-style tiberium isn't coming back. I believe this thing happened when C&C 3 demo came out and I think EA basically said that's what it's going to be. Keep in mind, they got the eggheads at MIT to help them... They ain't gonna throw that money used down the drain.

Wait-and-see... The rest are just trolls that have no lives and think EA cares about "LOL THIS WILL SUCK" opinion.

I liked the storyline and the game itself very much, of course there are small things that can be improved, and yeah, the acting :P

But TS was cheesy as well.

But a good sense of cheesy... Donno how to name it really but... C&C 3 cheesy < TS cheesy

The storyline was okay.... but their reaction to the aliens and explaining the story was not good.

If you want cheesy, go play RA2. The Tiberium saga hasn't been cheesed up quite yet. TW wasn't as epic but I didn't think it was SUPER OMG SUCK either.

Also... I like the new look of Tiberium. Instead of looking like big weeds popping up, it looks epic. Big crystals make more sense than the **** we had before.

Yeah. It just wouldn't make sense for it to show up right after TS like that, which is why I'm worried about the continuity implications.

Yeah. It just wouldn't make sense for it to show up right after TS like that, which is why I'm worried about the continuity implications.

In game tiberium and CGI/"real life" tiberium will be different. I mean think about it, if the in-game tiberium is what tiberium was in FMVs, that'd be pretty sad.

Donno why you said "Yeah" though. Fenring (Yoku) just wanting the old tiberium.

Btw TD and TS changed tiberium, no one got too terribly upset 'bout that.

But it's not quite 'right after' TS. A good few years pass and a lot can happen during that few years. Besides, it's a game. You really don't know the true nature of Tiberium.

Well in Renegade and TD (IIRC) tiberium was shown as a crystal, not like little piles on the ground.

But a good sense of cheesy... Donno how to name it really but... C&C 3 cheesy < TS cheesy

The storyline was okay.... but their reaction to the aliens and explaining the story was not good.

From whom?

Explaining...that one i give to ya. Instead of those unlockable documents, there should have been more back info videos.

See? I for one disliked that SF-B-movie cheese from TS, it pained me :lol:

TW Fmvs are a bit talk heavy on the other side.

But i still adore TW, and im seldomly impressed by anything that EA or todays gaming market in general spwes out. Lose interest very quickly.

But it's not quite 'right after' TS. A good few years pass and a lot can happen during that few years. Besides, it's a game. You really don't know the true nature of Tiberium.

Hmm...

*pulls out clipboard*

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/comman...tml?sid=6176655

Our campaign will span an incredible 20 years of Command & Conquer history, taking players from the end of Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun all the way through 2050 (three years after the events of Command & Conquer 3). As mentioned, the story will once again be told through high-definition, full-motion video sequences with Joe Kucan reprising his role as Kane. A new celebrity cast will join Joe. We'll reveal details in the coming months.

Even if the fiction is retconned so that Firestorm ends by 2028, that's only 2 years. If not, then it basically starts right at the end of Firestorm, if not TS itself (not quite sure on Firestorm's date).

Tiberian Sun takes place around 2030, with FS in the same time frame. TW is ~15 years after Tiberian Sun and still many after FireStorm, which really doesn't make much difference though. FS focused on CABAL so its events are effectively moot for the development of Tiberium and for the TW expansion.

But the TW expansion spans from the end of Firestorm (or even TS) until 3 years after TW. My point is that it wouldn't make sense for the new tiberium to suddenly appear during the "right after TS" part of the campaign without some old-style Tib appearing somewhere.

It wouldn't make sense to have the same tiberium as graphical limitation of the time probably didn't enable WW to make tiberium look exactly like it should.

EA fundamentally changed Tiberium for C&C3 and beyond, something that Westwood was never going to do.

If Kane's Wrath took place solely after the events of Tiberium Wars we wouldn't even be having this discussion, but because of the fact that part of the campaign takes place between Firestorm and Tiberium Wars (dunno how close to Firestorm it starts) there should logically be at least a few tie-ins for the canon. Especially with regards to Tiberium which is the driving force of the entire series (Tiberian part of course, not Red Alert).

A well done campaign map or 2 could show the Westwood "pod Tiberium" evolving/changing into those EA "cancer emeralds" and killing off the Tiberium lifeforms with all the new radiation and such. That's all the effort they would need to muster to make a good canon link. A few models and a couple of scripts on 2 maps. There are mods that muster more effort than that.

Then of course there is technology. While I can believe that GDI and Nod completely revamp their fighting forces in 15-17 years it is logically flawed that they did it in 5 or less (depending on when Act 1 starts really). I think it is ridiculous to demand large quantities of TS units and structures as some do on the official boards, but just a few, and a few "hybrid" units that were used between TS and TW would be all it would take to show a technological link between the 2 games. Once again that isn't a whole lot of effort. A few models and their associated code. Once again, there are free community modifications that muster more effort than creating a handful of units. By now EALA should have an efficient pipeline that would take no time at all to do the same thing, then all that is really needed is balancing (although we know how well EA does with that. 1139669735ry4.jpg)

As much as I hate what EA has done with the story, all I really care about now is that

1. They don't mess up the TS-TW connection with KW. It seriously wouldn't take that much effort to do Act 1 right but then again this is EA we're talking about. (They did in fact admit to sucking.)

2. They don't mess up their own story with the sequel (not expansion) to TW.

Well the Tacitus did provide them with something to fight back against the tiberium taking over at the end of FS. Maybe whatever they did caused mutation in tiberium instead of wiping it out.