Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sonic

Tiberium
RTS + FPS? - Investigating Tiberium

7 posts in this topic

GVMERS has a new video that takes a close look at the long since cancelled Command & Conquer first person shooter, simply called "Tiberium". For those who don't know, Tiberium was in development by EALA back in 2007 and 2008 before it was abruptly cancelled in September 2008 due to the game’s failure to meet quality standards set by the development team and the EA Games label. This new video looks back at what could have been and from what I can see, it does include some never before seen footage of the game in action. Watch it in the video above. A real shame Tiberium never got released, it the had potential for a new spin off franchise. Something that could rival the likes of the Battlefield franchise or even the Call of Duty franchise. Who knows, we could all been playing Tiberium 3 by now. Thanks to HOPE1134 on our forums for the news tip.

I haven't watched the whole video yet ... I am strongly in favour of an action game that involves strategic gameplay (strategic as opposed to simply "tactical"). BattleZone 98 Redux is a good example of a shooter that also requires thinking and base building, and that's what no studio dares to do any more. See also:

II. I certainly wouldn't play any of the major FPS titles, I'll stick with Wolfenstein and Doom and everything else can just 'f' off and die. Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is the only other shooter I can play, because of its stealth and logistical stuff.

As usual we return to the issue that most companies see everything as an investment, it comes down to gender/age/various gamer stereotypes (in plain English, "markets"). Speaking of age, I think a lot of games are aimed at teenagers right down to 12 year-olds. I played Halo when I was 13, I sucked but it was easy to obsess over, because it's such a brainless game. Once the mobile market peaks then I hope some studios will be more creative. Tiberian Sun as an action game sounds cool but c'mon ... having titans and orcas won't make it cooler than anything else. In BattleZone they have walkers and BattleZone II had two assault-oriented aircraft. BZ2 would have made more money if the graphic requirements weren't so high for its time, and also, if they didn't release it right after Christmas. It's only a matter of time before someone makes an FPS-RTS hybrid or similar.

I was never disappointed Tiberium was canned, and this new footage has done nothing to change my mind. Tiberium was not a new and improved Renegade, it was just another uninteresting squad-based FPS set in the tiberium universe trying to cash in on the same teenagers' parents' money all the other cookie-cutter FPS games were raking in.

Shiny graphics and what-could-have-been dreams imagined with the same high expectations that were crushed by previous C&C games does not make a good game out of a bad foundation.

Don't let the hunger for a new C&C after a long famine cloud your judgment, a bad game is bad, no matter how shiny and "better than nothing" it looks.

yeah............i see. hmmm so sad "DAMN EA"...............could not let this happen.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf
Fixed coding

I was never disappointed Tiberium was canned, and this new footage has done nothing to change my mind.

Yep, I have to agree on this. It reminds me of this terrible XCOM 3rd person shooter where you can "control" your AI combatants and blow up a lot of generic alien enemies. It might sound great, but become really trashy.

Pretty much. The cancelled C&C games are interesting to us now that they are cancelled, but if they were released, we'd treat them like Sole Survivor in the absolute best-case scenario.