Sonic

What is Command & Conquer: Arena?

Command & Conquer: Arena or Arena: Command & Conquer, I first heard about these two names for a future Command & Conquer game around the middle of last year, at the time I thought nothing of it. Up until this weekend I had almost forgotten about it. In the last few days someone from the Official C&C Forums spotted this image for Command & Conquer: Arena on a site called The Third Floor Inc.

cnc_arena.jpg

This image was originally displayed here on The Third Floor Inc site but has since been removed. Perhaps it was removed at the request of EA? This is what the information said....

The Third Floor teamed with Shadowplay Studio to take Electronic Arts' concept of an epic robot battle from previs all the way to final cinematics. The highly detailed world of Command and Conquer was fleshed out from scratch by The Third Floor and Shadowplay teams.

A copied and pasted version of the image can been seen by clicking here. The only other details we have, and these are unconfirmed, about this Command & Conquer: Arena is that it will be a free online game supported by micro-payments for in game items. Often referred to as "Micro-Transactions". Remember none of this is official, its all based on guessing, speculation and rumours.

The only other details we have, and these are unconfirmed, about this Command & Conquer: Arena is that it will be a free online game supported by micro-payments for in game items. Often referred to as "Micro-Transactions".

If that is true, I hope the whole game will still be playable without buying the items, because I never pay for a game more than once. No installments, no monthly fees, no buyable items.

I've investigated this and I don't think it's a new C&C game. More details here.

The background image for C&C: Arena on 'The Third Floor' is extremely similar to the background image used when registering the 'Future C&C' beta key that came with Red Alert 3 :mellow:

I've investigated this and I don't think it's a new C&C game. More details here.

I agree with Blbpaws. Probably stuff to do with Tiberium. Like I said before I first heard this Arena name last year, it was about 2 weeks before the RA3 Community Summit in LA, someone sent me a private message on the Petroglyph forums about it. I pretty much ignored it though.

The only thing I do find strange is the fact it was displayed on The Third Floor site and then removed about 1 day later.

The background image for C&C: Arena on 'The Third Floor' is extremely similar to the background image used when registering the 'Future C&C' beta key that came with Red Alert 3 :mellow:

Not really.

betacard.jpgcc_arena_small.jpg

betacard.jpgcc_arena_small.jpg

Hmm, my memory obviously isn't the greatest then :mellow:

Do you have that beta card picture in any higher resolution?

Hmm, my memory obviously isn't the greatest then :mellow:

Do you have that beta card picture in any higher resolution?

I don't, that the best image I found via Google search. The beta card in the RA3 Premier Edition has blue colour scheme with world map in the background.

Hmm... Well hopefully EA will release some info soon. I mean they closed that beta entry thing a while ago, and still no info...

Actually registration for that beta closes April 30th.

I hope it is a C&C FPS.I loved the whole Commando Concept of TIBERIUM so my hopes are on that :)

altough it will properly something else

Actually registration for that beta closes April 30th.

Oh really? lol, my memory sucks today. :P

I'm hoping for a new universe for the next C&C game. APOC already told it's not generals 2. So, I guess we'll see something new. Robot battles seem to be a good idea B)

I'm hoping for a new universe for the next C&C game. APOC already told it's not generals 2. So, I guess we'll see something new. Robot battles seem to be a good idea B)

Times like these make me glad we have someone watching over us - i doubted they'd do Generals 2, especially after both China and Germany banned it (although yes, it was remarketed for Germany later).

Arena however looks like EA has dug up the grave dirt of CNC: Continuum (explination for those who don't know here), which if it had been released, could have rivalled WoW in terms of popularity.

Still, i do hope its a new CNC Universe - keeps thing's fresh (knowing EA, pretend "fresh" is in sarcastic commas).

1) The game in development since 2007

2) FPS

3)

Hey Ykudza, unfortunately i cannot comment on rumors and speculation, thanks for understanding

How do you know it's an FPS?

Exactly. All we can do is speculate right now.

Anyone think they've ressurected Tiberium in secret but aren't telling anyone? ;)

It could very possibly be a codename to Tiberium, but having it being developed in 2007 is not sufficient evidence for that. EA usually works on a game for a year or two before announcing it anyway - when Tiberium was announced, EA had said it was in development "for two years".

Times like these make me glad we have someone watching over us - i doubted they'd do Generals 2, especially after both China and Germany banned it (although yes, it was remarketed for Germany later).

Arena however looks like EA has dug up the grave dirt of CNC: Continuum (explination for those who don't know here), which if it had been released, could have rivalled WoW in terms of popularity.

Still, i do hope its a new CNC Universe - keeps thing's fresh (knowing EA, pretend "fresh" is in sarcastic commas).

Please no MMORPG titles for C&C please. Reasons being too time consuming, and wasting too much money on monthly subscription.

If its really MMORPG, I'll definitely pass.

I highly doubt its the Continuum project resurrected.

Epic robot battle makes me think of Titans.

Actually the first that came to mind was "German C&C Games."

Epic robot battle makes me think of Titans.

Actually the first that came to mind was "German C&C Games."

lol. And I actually wouldn't mind if it was Continuum, since

1) It would get me off of WoW. :P

2) There aren't any real sci-fi MMOs out there.

3) (and most importantly) There's a lot of story in C&C, and a MMO would DEFINITELY make full use of the Tiberium universe's potential.

Although, that being said, I highly doubt it's another FPS, as that would have to mean they were working on 2 C&C FPSs at one point, and I don't think that's very likely. My guess would be another RTS, though I don't know what - it's too early for C&C4, and RA3 just came out. And Generals 2 doesn't really fit the description.

an mmorpg set in the future after TW including nanotechnology and mutation....there is a load of potential

Continuum would have been something different had Westwood been able to go ahead with it, I remember the Petroglyph interviews we did during the C&C 10th Anniversary. Adam Isgreen told us this about Continuum....

Continuum was a MMORPG for people that didn't like MMORPGs (i.e. stand there and swing).
  • "C&C meets Zelda meets Counterstrike" - that was the pitch line I always used. C&C universe, Zelda-like controls, Counterstrike style tactical combat.
  • Had instanced "crisis zones" in it (this was EQ1 era, remember), hubbed flight routes, scripted boss battles, and a lot of other ideas that have shown up in all the MMORPG since. I guess they were good ideas!
  • Set in the Tiberian future, with GDI, Nod, Mutants and CABAL. Scrin to be added later. We had Los Angeles half underwater, Area 51, Dino island, Newark airport a mutant city, etc.
  • Combat was much more fluid and movement-oriented than most MMORPGs. Range was important for weapons use, and there were layers of counters for the weapon types.
  • Creatures had many console-game-boss sensibilities, in that you could expose weaknesses on them and then hit those for extra damage

The landscape of C&C gaming would be very different if Continuum saw the light of day.