Sonic

Command & Conquer 14 Years Old Today

A post at CNC Saga reminded me that today is the 14th anniversary since the release of the original and all time classic Command & Conquer. Arguably this is the game that started the RTS genre and made it so popular through out the late 1990's and of course this past decade. It hard to believe its been 14 years already. For old times sake, here's the original Command & Conquer intro.

:cnc10: +4

180px-Birthday_cake.jpg

Yeah, Happy Birthday.

But it ain't gonna make me happier anyways, not even for its 15th Birthday next year.

:clap:

happy BD CnC!!

damn i started that game when i was 13!!?? wow! it feels like yestarday for me, i am NOT old! .....yet:P

i am looking forward for our 15th year and the the Tiberian Twilight.

i want a super special DVD with all the unreleased CGI from all Tiberian Games. i am sure Silverthorn will agree :)

Edited by Johnnyxp64

Happy Birthday to C&C, truely a classic.

Wow, 14 years... I feel old... :(

You are old :P

You are old :P

Luk3us... old? Your perception of time is peculiar... :huh:

Everyone older than me is an old fart, and everyone younger to me just got out of the diapers ^_^

Everyone older than me is an old fart, and everyone younger to me just got out of the diapers ^_^

Then it is confirmation of my earlier statement, your perception of time is indeed, very peculiar...

But what about games that are only 14? Are they young too, or are your standards just for people?

My standards obviously only apply to people :P

I think it was either TD or RA but i obviously didn't realize at the time (probly 98') that they were old... ish.

I only got into C&C when I got Tiberian Sun :P

I only got into C&C when I got Tiberian Sun :P

Me too, it was fun. TS was my first, and the last great C&C game I play is YR (Thus my favorite C&C icon never changes), I do play EA's C&C, but they're not so good anymore. Westwood's C&C FTW!

Yeah, I agree that C&C3 and RA3 still miss something of the old C&Cs, but EA is improving :P

It is improving, but it's not going anywhere further when they're stuck with C&C4, imagine the crawler systems apply for Generals 2 or RA4. These universes may not have crawlers but they have in some sort of a super MCV or mobile base, you get the idea by transferring concept from C&C4 to a new game.

I also need to see them improve on the seriousness of the franchise instead of gambling the whole thing which cost the hardcore fans' hearts. The boxart may had lost touch with the Soldier's Head & the further insolence usage of the copy & paste, but I assume the cinematics & CGI can be a problem. C&C's cinematics have no Hollywood superstars (You can hire 1 or 2, but not too many like C&C3 & RA3) & its CGI are numerous while EA's C&C CGIs are nearly none at all. :(

Edited by Silverthorn

Well, I suppose we should be glad they're being innovative.

I remember when CNCNZ was trying to organize the 10 year birthday mark celebration... Now to think that is 4 years ago... wow. Time sure does fly.

Happy birthday C&C :)

Well, I suppose we should be glad they're being innovative.

Innovative or not, I don't want a bottombar. :mellow:

I remember when CNCNZ was trying to organize the 10 year birthday mark celebration... Now to think that is 4 years ago... wow. Time sure does fly.

Trying? I think we pulled it off rather well to be honest.

I should probably restore the old C&C 10 section of the site now that I think about it.