Sign in to follow this  
Gben

C&C4 DRM

Based on this http://forums.cncnz.com/index.php?showtopic=13110...

Did your online experience of C&C4 change your opinion of the need for a persistent online connection?

I admit playing against Lv20 players while only Lv1 did make me want to play more to level up, but I wanted to do it in single player...

Nothing I saw made the online connection necessary for my gaming experience.

To be truthful, I had forgotten about this aspect.

It's another nail in the coffin of my expectations...

Did your online experience of C&C4 change your opinion of the need for a persistent online connection?

My opinion is unchanged. I always thought online requirements were stupid.

The thing is if they were to drop the persistent online connection requirement it would be back the SecuROM/Authentication system like RA3 had. I don't see the big issue here. While your playing SP a few KBs of data (at the most) are sent across the internet to EA servers reporting your stats and progress etc.... Lots of people have broadband connections these days and while the computer is on they are permanently connected to the internet. I do understand that no internet connection means no C&C 4. But after all this a requirement, just as it was for RA3, KW, C&C 3 and many other games that have been released in the past 2-3 years. You need an internet connection to activate/authenticate the game. For C&C 4 there is "technically speaking" no DRM other than you need to be online to play.

Its 2010 now, everything is done online these days, moaning about it just sounds ridiculous to me. That's my outlook on this on going saga anyway.

Being online all the time to play a game is wrong. It sets a horrible precedent for future games. I hope EA comes up with better methods in the future.

I don't mind SecuROM or any of that other crap. A lot of people seem to bitch about that stuff a lot. I don't know why, I've never had any problems. The whole "they are installing spyware / they are stealing my files" argument is ridiculous anyway.

Well how about this then. People would bitch and moan if either system was used :rolleyes:

I rather have a simple serial key mode and get over with it. No more DRM or any silly spinoffs to make consumers go nuts.

I'm getting C&C4 on Steam, so I have to be online anyway to play it. The "not having to reinstall dozens of DVD's" with a reinstall/new PC is so great about Steam. Just copy the Steam folder, and hit "update" to make it reinstall all your games in 5 minutes.

I am rather indifferent when it comes to the having to stay online. Its better than Securom thats for sure.

everything is online now. one of my friends friend who works in CA in an independent gaming company told how EVERYTHING will one day be online. Games will no longer be made and distributed in shiny boxes or in DVD cases. These consume so much resources and increase production costs.

basically he said everything will be online Steam style within the next 10 years so by 2016-2020. Thats the direction of the industry. This gives great benefit for both the companies and the users.

-authenticated downloads onto computers or consoles are tracked. (no need for serial key)

-100% online requirement along with inability to "Crack" the game rapes pirates.

there ya go. you want to buy the new games that's out? you just log on and buy the game, download and install while your ass gets watched. you play singleplayer and if u pull the ethernet cable = u kill your game.

lets admit it considering how we humans love to cheat and steal and not pay for stuff, this was coming for us anyway. But this is not any ocnspiracy theory lulz...the benefits are to both the companies and the players. No need to go to gamestop and the companies get what they want.

only downside to me is that I won;t get my scrubby little sweaty palms on those gorgeous game boxes. But meh I got the game packaging boxes of over 50 games I love and I probably won't miss out considering how crappy these new games are. But that's one big downside.

EA already for example do this by releasing RA3: Uprising in digital distribution only. Only that withtin the next 10 years, EVERY game would be released this way by every company; for both computers and consoles.

even on non-gaming related, our asses will be watched whenever we are online. Google has our mail and knows every search we make and also knows which videos we watch in youtube. all the recent OS like Win 7 have backdoors. Google's new OS is suppoesed to be entirely online based LOL. and along with those who have facebook or any other online social networking, there will be a very clear clean image of who we are in electronic form available to corporations which in turn is available to thegovernment. it will be a whol new online world and the internet will be better than cameras to track our asses. no conspiracy!

Edited by Zombieguy

Although i am still rather indifferent. What about users with no internet?

What about users with no internet?

That's one of the main arguments against it... No internet access = no C&C4.

To be honest, this is just the first of many games that are going to be doing this. I'm online for hours each day, so it doesn't make a difference to me. I'd much rather have this than SecuRom etc.

Edited by F15pilotX

everything is online now. one of my friends friend who works in CA in an independent gaming company told how EVERYTHING will one day be online. Games will no longer be made and distributed in shiny boxes or in DVD cases. These consume so much resources and increase production costs.

basically he said everything will be online Steam style within the next 10 years so by 2016-2020. Thats the direction of the industry. This gives great benefit for both the companies and the users.

-authenticated downloads onto computers or consoles are tracked. (no need for serial key)

-100% online requirement along with inability to "Crack" the game rapes pirates.

there ya go. you want to buy the new games that's out? you just log on and buy the game, download and install while your ass gets watched. you play singleplayer and if u pull the ethernet cable = u kill your game.

lets admit it considering how we humans love to cheat and steal and not pay for stuff, this was coming for us anyway. But this is not any ocnspiracy theory lulz...the benefits are to both the companies and the players. No need to go to gamestop and the companies get what they want.

only downside to me is that I won;t get my scrubby little sweaty palms on those gorgeous game boxes. But meh I got the game packaging boxes of over 50 games I love and I probably won't miss out considering how crappy these new games are. But that's one big downside.

EA already for example do this by releasing RA3: Uprising in digital distribution only. Only that withtin the next 10 years, EVERY game would be released this way by every company; for both computers and consoles.

even on non-gaming related, our asses will be watched whenever we are online. Google has our mail and knows every search we make and also knows which videos we watch in youtube. all the recent OS like Win 7 have backdoors. Google's new OS is suppoesed to be entirely online based LOL. and along with those who have facebook or any other online social networking, there will be a very clear clean image of who we are in electronic form available to corporations which in turn is available to thegovernment. it will be a whol new online world and the internet will be better than cameras to track our asses. no conspiracy!

Oh this hits my nerves hard. Contrary to the trolls and conspiracy theories, one thing will remain a fact. This is pure capitalist bull**** at the highest degree with an attempt to line the pockets of the fatcats who rule the roost! Regardless of what so-called industry insiders say, this cannot and will not happen. Economically, the attempt to move everything online would plunge this planet into a recession so god damn deep, it wouldn't recover.

A friend of mine has his own independent gaming store. His money, his livelihood, and his family and their well-being is all within that business. Physical media is what he sells and a high portion of his profits are based on the pre-owned console games market. It is what keeps the retail section of the gaming industry alive.. Doesn't matter if it's him, Gamestop or any other corporate gaming distributor or retailer. The moment you move it online-only is the moment these businesses die. It kills jobs, it stops people putting food on the table and paying the bills. It wipes out numerous outlets around the planet like a plague.

It'd then work it's way up the chain to suppliers that deal with physical media distribution, the workers who pick and pack this stuff, up to the management... then onto the publishing arms themselves. Without the need to create the media, jobs will go there too. The whole thing will be catastrophic and will tear a hole in what is one of the biggest contributors to local, regional, national and international economic trade.

I can understand buying cheap casual games on the PSN, XBLA etc. That's cool, not got a problem with that. But full games are often the exact same price or more on the likes of PSN... So if all this cost is removed to create the disc, packaging, transportation etc etc. Why is it still so god damn expensive? Simple. It's because Sony wants the whole damn pie, they don't wanna share it and they'll be damned in hell before they reduce that price to anything like the depreciation value you get in the stores. A physical, touchable, stick it in your drive-able game can hit a bargain bin in 6 months for just 20% of it's original selling price... But not online in stores like PSN, it's still sitting there at 110-125% of it's original price! Sony can go **** themselves, cos I'm not loaded with cash, and prefer to be down in that bargain bin, picking up good quality for less!

The fact is, the army of millions who work in making the retail outlet games industry work, (and provides these plain ignorant publishers and developers well over 75% of their physical profits) will not let this happen even in another 25+ years. It benefits not one single person. The nerds and sociopaths of this world may like the idea of buying their media on Steam, PSN and the like... But they still are in a very small minority. Thinking that this is the ultimate future is a retarded vision which will only see those at the top screw their own asses in the long run. Cos the retailers, people like me and any other average Joe, aren't gonna buy something that we cannot trade in once we've finished it, to get discount on newer more expensive games. And we sure as hell aren't gonna still pay full price for a 2 year old game, cos our wallets will just laugh at us!

That of course will mean less money in the developer's and publisher's pockets, and before long, they'll start going under. Those that have the money will take over the failing businesses, until we end up with several Mega-corps that'll dominate a saturated market.... But whatever, I grow tried of their bull**** excuses and their self interests.

While we're on the subject of DRM and Piracy... Take a look at this Hilarious Propaganda!

A few comments on Youtube included below:

OMFG!!! I NEW IT!!! That guy selling those avatar pirated DVD's was... OSAMA F**KIN' LADEN!!!!

Uh, duh you morons. There is no bigger mafia and terrorist threat than teenagers with DVD rippers.

So how many pirated mp3s was World Trade Center worth ? They should have a counter showing how many movies have to be torrented before Statue of Liberty blows up.

If you do not see why the video is so false and funny, then you've already been brainwashed.

Good days sirs.

Two quick thoughts...

- The gaming retail industry needs to evolve with current technology and consumer demands just like Car Makers Ford and General Motors. Supply and Demand. We shouldn't have to 'bail them out' because they stuck their head in the sand. Focus on service, or whatever point of difference is relevant to your business in your market.

- Why not develop a system to resell licenses (2nd hand market) if we move entirely to online purchases?

(This from a die-hard fan of retail boxes over electronic downloads.)

As far as I'm concerned, if it is a game that I really want/look forward to (i.e. CoD MW2, Starcraft II, C&C 4, C&C 3, etc), I'll purchase it physically. If it's just something that I figure I'll enjoy occasionally, then I download it, because downloading from say, Steam, is almost always cheaper.

Edited by F15pilotX

Two quick thoughts...

- The gaming retail industry needs to evolve with current technology and consumer demands just like Car Makers Ford and General Motors. Supply and Demand. We shouldn't have to 'bail them out' because they stuck their head in the sand. Focus on service, or whatever point of difference is relevant to your business in your market.

- Why not develop a system to resell licenses (2nd hand market) if we move entirely to online purchases?

1. The demand is not for digital only. It's pretty much the same now as it was when digital downloads of games started. There's a market for both. I've only ever bought one digital version of a game, and that was only because the Steam version didn't have SecuRom like the boxed version did. Otherwise I would have gone with the box.

2. That'll never happen. Digital files will be in pristine condition on day 1 or day 1000. Physical media can deteriorate, hence why a used game is worth less than a brand new one at a retail store. That plus whoever heard of a "used file?" It's as ridiculous a concept as rewinding a DVD. There's no such thing as a used file because they're perfect 1:1 copies of each other.