nathancnc

TFD 1.04 Dev Update (12/05/2012)

9 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

Go to TSConfig.exe and apply the no-CD function.

The no-cd option in TSConfig.exe was already ticked. I messed around with compatibilities and still the menu was glitched. Anyway, in order to not go completely off-topic, can those patches on the list completely override the use of TFDUP and be used instead of it?

8 hours ago, Bambacha said:

The no-cd option in TSConfig.exe was already ticked. I messed around with compatibilities and still the menu was glitched.

I misread your earlier post, thinking you were trying to fix a problem with reading Firestorm missions. As for the menu, you'll have to toy around with the renderer choice (bottom right of TSConfig's window). I can't give you an exact solution for that, as I think different renderers work for different setups. I personally use ddwrapper.

8 hours ago, Bambacha said:

Anyway, in order to not go completely off-topic, can those patches on the list completely override the use of TFDUP and be used instead of it?

Yes, though TFD 1.03 removes the need for the DVD for all included games, which is particularly necessary for RA2/YR and later.

Seems I have to catch up then. I only recently (6 months ago) upgraded my WinXP machine of 10 years to a Win10 x64 machine. In those WinXP years TFDUP served me wonderfully, I think it's time to keep up to date.

As for Tiberian Sun, if you install TSPatch on top of TFDUP, the Firestorm missions break but the menu glitch is fixed. Having only TFDUP doesn't fix the menu glitch. Thing is, TFDUP installs itself to all games (through the .bat it runs automatically) and you aren't able to pick specific games to patch.

1 hour ago, Bambacha said:

Thing is, TFDUP installs itself to all games (through the .bat it runs automatically) and you aren't able to pick specific games to patch.

You can bypass this. During the installation of TFD, you choose which games you want to install. Therefore you can install one set of games, apply TFD 1.03 to them, install the other set of games and apply fixes that may or may not conflict with the 1.03 patch.

22 minutes ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

You can bypass this. During the installation of TFD, you choose which games you want to install. Therefore you can install one set of games, apply TFD 1.03 to them, install the other set of games and apply fixes that may or may not conflict with the 1.03 patch.

Oh God, you just blew my mind. I never thought of that, gonna try that now. Thanks for that tip!

I still check this every once in a while to see if anyone updates The First Decade. I don't plan on ever buying the games from Origin or Steam. I also don't play any of the newer releases. Hopefully each one will continue to be maintained for Windows 10 if conflicts occur. I need to try reinstalling my games after a bit.

On 14/08/2018 at 11:18 PM, Prisoner416 said:

I still check this every once in a while to see if anyone updates The First Decade. I don't plan on ever buying the games from Origin or Steam. I also don't play any of the newer releases. Hopefully each one will continue to be maintained for Windows 10 if conflicts occur. I need to try reinstalling my games after a bit.

Hey. Yeah, it appears people have moved on. It's understandable, really.

You should take a look at OpenRA, which is a fan remake of the old games in a new engine.

Also, just yesterday, an official rep of EA contacted the OpenRA team to let them know EA wants to remaster the old C&C games.

I'm not really interested in anything in a new engine. I'm more interested in the old games and getting them to work with the original code, albeit with tweaking. Same reason I prefer actual cartridges as opposed to emulation when possible.

Red Alert, at least the first one, is one that simply must be preserved for humanity.

I take a "If it's not broke don't fix it" look at most things. The ideal patch would be set up like the Fallout Fixt patch, where a user can tickmark to install a "purist" mode or choose what optional bits get added. I know it would be neat if we could replace the music in-game with high-quality versions since data size isn't as much of an issue anymore.

...one of these days I'll finish exploring RA3 and the newer titles. To me the early ones still are the best. They could make another in the style of Tiberian Sun or a Red Alert that wasn't camp.

Still... while I technically got them all on Origin now (after calling them and telling them I owned the First Decade and a few others, I got an unlock key), I prefer to run the First Decade builds.