Nyerguds

1.06c development topic

You have to remember that that manual was written for windows 95, where programs' memory boundaries were not strictly enforced by the operating system. A lot of these problems simply don't apply to XP and later anymore.

The female civilians should not have a male death sound... maybe use RA Tanya's?

Also, side specific EVA?

Well, There is a thing where piss me off for a good amount of time:

Well, Here i use an ABNT2 Keyboard, and but when i try to use "?" or "/" INSIDE the game (Lobby or MultiPlayer Message) it do not display anything! it really confuses some guys :P

ABNT2 Keyboard

teclado-abnt2.png

US International Keyboard:

US_Keyboard_layout.jpg

There's a way to fix that? please?

[edit]

I have no problems with that in RA1 and TS.

Huh, not a clue... problem is I'd probably kinda need a keyboard like that in order to even test this.

The female civilians should not have a male death sound... maybe use RA Tanya's?

Death sounds aren't easily customizable. Only the commando does it, and I'm not entirely sure how. Also, that comes dangerously close to modding.

Also, side specific EVA?

One small problem there. The game HAS NO NOD EVA VOICES. This isn't a mod, this is a patch. There's no need for such a feature.

Huh, not a clue... problem is I'd probably kinda need a keyboard like that in order to even test this.

Death sounds aren't easily customizable. Only the commando does it, and I'm not entirely sure how. Also, that comes dangerously close to modding.

One small problem there. The game HAS NO NOD EVA VOICES. This isn't a mod, this is a patch. There's no need for such a feature.

I mean the death sounds shouldn't be customizable, just the female civs have a more appropriate death sound

And the side specific eva should be a toggle feature via ini like:

NodSpecificEVA=false

so if that's set to true, I can just put properly named nod EVA .AUDs into a SC .MIX file and have a nod EVA in my game.

I mean the death sounds shouldn't be customizable, just the female civs have a more appropriate death sound

...and for that, I need to customize that voice. When I say they aren't easily customizable, I'm not talking about exposing the possibility to modders, I mean <i>I</i> can't easily do it.

And the side specific eva should be a toggle feature via ini like:

NodSpecificEVA=false

so if that's set to true, I can just put properly named nod EVA .AUDs into a SC .MIX file and have a nod EVA in my game.

Oh that. That's technically already in. I just never made an ini key for it :P

IIRC it loads speech2.mix, with all of the filenames slightly different than the GDI versions (usually where the GDI one ends on 1, these have 2).

It was never implemented mainly because I wanted to look into actually unloading and reloading the mixfiles when switching sides.

Well, you can change the Keyboard Layount Configuration under Keyrboard Configuration Inside the Control Panel

Didn't find any such options under keyboard settings. I can select the keyboard layout under language settings, but there's nothing called "ABNT2" there; it's just languages.

[edit]

lol, I found the keyboard layout, but I simply don't have a key with / and ? on my qwerty keyboard when switched to it. So as I already said, I can't test it. The ABNT 2 simply has an extra key that other keyboards don't have, and uses that one for the / and ?; hence why C&C doesn't recognize it.

I'd advise you to just switch to US layout for C&C.

Oh that. That's technically already in. I just never made an ini key for it :P

IIRC it loads speech2.mix, with all of the filenames slightly different than the GDI versions (usually where the GDI one ends on 1, these have 2).

It was never implemented mainly because I wanted to look into actually unloading and reloading the mixfiles when switching sides.

Does this mean the next update will have this feature?! :D

Also, I thought the Nod helipad bug was fixed?

I can't seem to build helipads when playing as Nod

Find the virtual key number and just add another rule to the routine.

Hyper: You mean the keyboard thing? I kinda can't find the key number if I don't even have the actual key. Besides, I have no idea where I'd have to add that.

Does this mean the next update will have this feature?! :D

meh, okay, I'll look into it -_-

Also, I thought the Nod helipad bug was fixed?

I can't seem to build helipads when playing as Nod

What bug? Nod simply can't build helipads outside multiplayer unless you capture a GDI construction yard. That's not a bug. It's just like how they can't build APCs (unless you get a Weapons Factory), SSMs or Chem Warriors in single play.

If anything, the bug is that they get Apaches on it, and keep the construction option after losing the captured tech :P

Meh, you know what im like, remind me on MSN with a offline message or something xD

Hm, that should be easy, actually... besides the fact I got no idea how that'd react in multiplay. There's an odd difference between player side and actual house ID I haven't quite figured out.

Nyerguds, could you make keys bindable? As exemple, i got a 5 buttons mouse, so i could set the "MOUSE4" and the "MOUSE5" to something :D

Hello Nyerguds,

although it's not a bug, I agree with Poskov. I only succeed in capturing a GDI construction yard when the base is already at my mercy. So it's pretty much useless. Too bad there is no rules.ini T_T

Couldn't you just add an option to enable NOD Helipad in single player ?

Another thing, is there a way to disable the remix musics (I just hate them ^^') ? I saw it will be possible with the new setup tool, but it is not released yet, right ?

By the way, I saw on moddb that you had a hard time finding french translators. Well, I'm french, quite good in english, and I love C&C (obviously), so if you need anything, just ask :)

And finally, thanks for all your work. I discovered your mod a few days ago, it's really great. I missed this game so much since I moved to windows 7 (already finished GDI campaign lol).

The disabling of the Nod helipad is not a bug, it's balancing. I'm not touching the game balance, that's the ideal recipe for a giant crapstorm of complaints. And there is already an option to enable the helipad in single player, called "DisableBuildExceptions", though if I remember correctly I made it mission-specific, meaning you can't disable it globally but you can add the key in one mission's ini file to unlock the helipad/SSM/chem warrior in that one mission. The patch manual has information about the option.

Enabling this option has disadvantages in the campaign though: the same build exceptions make sure Nod can build advanced power plants earlier than the official internal value, to compensate for the fact Nod only has 13 missions, compared to GDI's 15. That kind of exceptions will also be removed if you enable that. Also note that build level restrictions still apply, and that the SSM and chem warrior can only be built if the Buildlevel is set to 98. (patch 1.06 allows you to change the buildlevels in campaign missions though. The original always forced the mission number as build level :) )

And yes, you can disable the remixes, either by extracting rules.ini from updatec.mix and disabling the "RemixMusic" option in it, or by extracting themes.ini from the same mixfile, and disabling the HasAlternate option for all themes that have it (though for Reaching Out and Heartbreak that will disable the music completely, since they only have 'alternate' files).

I'd be very happy if you would help me with translating the manual and beta testing the new setup tool... my French is generally not bad (I'm Flemish Belgian; I learned it at school), but I have trouble with several specific game and computer related words. I already translated the setup tool, so that one will be easy (the whole tool switches to French when the game language is set to French). I'll supply the translation file used by the program, then you can fix it and test it immediatly.

Found the rules.ini, tkx. I sent you a PM with my email adress, so that you can send me the file I'll need for translation :)

Yeah, got it, thanks! I'll make sure to send you the patch beta and the readme file soon :)

Today, I fixed the bug that caused safe scrolling to be transferred to the other players in multiplayer games, and added another option for the "I'm a whiny bitch" tab I'll undoubtedly make in my new setup tool, namely disabling of the credits music on the last mission's score screen.

Note that in the setup tool, the "I'm a whiny bitch" tab will be disguised as "Sound options" :P

I for one look forward to the whiny bitch option. Full customization is key to my retro enjoyment.

Hum... I'm in the middle of the FAQ translation (didn't expect the readme file to be this long btw :lol: ), and it made me think... Do you intend to add the videos from other languages, as a separate pack of course ? Sure, we can play them with the CD, but No-CD is always better, and I don't know how I can mix GDI and NOD video files into a single movies.mix.

Unless there is an easier way ? Other than switching files or change file names.

Edit : Thinking again... Maybe I read something about that in the features of revision 2, somewhere... Can't remember ^^''

Edit 2 : Don't bother, it was on moddb, on the new tool page. Still, if you don't have the french videos, I'll be happy to provide them.

Yes, I got installers ready for the video packs, and I got all videos in English, French, German, Japanese and even an unofficial Russian dub on my hard disk. I might ask your help to translate the strings for the installer, though it's possible I already did it myself.

As for the translations, yeah, the readme is horribly long, I know... I kinda thought you'd have looked through the current one before offering your help on translating it :P

Could you make sure you check the setup tool's strings first? That's one of the big priorities right now, and it's not really much work since I already did it all; you just have to check whether it's correct. And if there are any options you don't understand, please ask me. I've had misunderstandings with translators before, where the translation was wrong because they didnt't understand exactly what an option or bug fix was supposed to fix or change, so it's better to just ask me right away if you're not sure.

Yeah, I looked the current one, but I didn't expect it to double in size xD. You had so much to say for this version, I'm even impressed you took the time to write it at all. Anyway, that's not a problem, in the end. I'm already half way done with it.

As for the setup tool, I wanted to keep the best for the end, but ok, first things first.

For the translation, I do have a question. Not that I don't understand the meaning, but I'm no programmer, so I don't know if I need to translate the word 'string' and if so, what's the best translation for it (for now, it's "chaîne", but it kind of sucks lol). After all, programmers tends to be used to english words, and the other people just don't read or understand programming stuff, usually. What do you think ?

I find it less confusing in english than translated...

Edited by Kamikave

Well, "string" is just "piece of text", really. Maybe you can just use "phrase". If you want to leave it as "string", I don't mind though.

Hum... didn't think about that :rolleyes:

I'm looking at the tool right now, some options in the .lan file doesn't seem to appear in ccsetup (ex : back_buffer_in_video_memory)

Is it supposed to appear after I do something wrong, like custom_res_help or is it just unused ?

And if I may suggest, is it necessery to mention on every tab 'options' ? I can't really tell in english, but in french, I find it annoying to read (meaning it's quite "heavy" to read, as we say in french).

In my opinion "Display" / "Game" / "Sound" / "Multiplayer" are good enough. It is after a setup tool, it's kind of obvious there will be options inside ^^

Edit : I found a little problem. Not really a bug, I think. sound_options= refers to the tab title, and inside for EVA et grenade throw options. I wanted to put "Sound" on the tab (since it includes musics) and "Sound Effects" for the options (in french of course) to avoid repetition but the two seems to be one and the same. Can it be changed ?