Sursion

New Tiberian Dawn campaign in the works

I'm creating a 15 mission Nod campaign! While it's in production I thought I'd make this thread to house the development blog, hopefully get some questions answered, and to have an area for advice/suggestions/idea's, and the demo. If you would like to know anything, just ask ^_^

The Campaign

Command and Conquer: Rebirth

-The campaign follows the the defeat of nod after the first tiberium war. It's going to be 15 missions spread across 3 acts. The first act will focus on rebuilding nod. The second act will focus on crippling GDI. Then the third and final act will focus on all out war.

Act 1: Completed

Somalia - Complete

Mozambique - Complete

South Africa - Complete

Egypt - Complete

Niger - Complete

Hungary - Complete

Act 2: In progress

France: Complete

Italy: Complete

Slovenia: Incomplete

Switzerland: In progress

Act 3: Incomplete

Great Britain: Incomplete

Russia: Incomplete

Canada: Incomplete

USA: Incomplete

Unknown Location: Incomplete

I'm going to be travelling to Denver at the end of October to help film and edit a documentary. I will try my best to get the campaign finished before October 26th.

The Demo

Screenshot:

Demo.jpg

This was my first map I created. I updated it a bit before I uploaded it, but aside from that, it's the same as when if first made it. I've learned a lot since then. It won't be in the campaign either. Just a standalone little project.

Current Issues I Need Help With

-Stealth tanks don't activate celltriggers while cloaked. I found a work around but I'll still like to know of a way to fix this, if there is one.

-Triggering capture=win/destroy=lose on buildings. I found out the problem is XCC Editor. It doesn't have the Cap=Win/Des=Lose trigger. I have to manually open the .ini file and add it myself.

I'm using XXC Editor to make everything.

DemoNodMap.rar

Edited by Sursion

Nice, it's not everyday a new C&C1 campaign is announced! I have a few maps I never finished lying around, would you be interested in finishing them? :)

Nice, it's not everyday a new C&C1 campaign is announced! I have a few maps I never finished lying around, would you be interested in finishing them? :)

Absolutely! I'd love to see what you came up with. I've got about 9 missions and I'm running out of inspiration :)

Edited by Sursion

Typical, what I found were maps that are either already released or GDI missions >_<

Typical, what I found were maps that are either already released or GDI missions >_<

I could have a looky loo at the GDI missions and maybe do a quick conversion. Not if they're already released though, I'd rather not infringe on any copyright issues :(

Edited by Sursion

After a quick search I found one you could use, I doubt it's very useful though. I don't remember where I was going with this map XD

http://tore.cnc-comm.com/dinos.zip

You are free to look at my released maps for inspiration if you want to :)

I'll look for more unfinished maps, they are scattered all over my hard drives.

After a quick search I found one you could use, I doubt it's very useful though. I don't remember where I was going with this map XD

http://tore.cnc-comm.com/dinos.zip

You are free to look at my released maps for inspiration if you want to :)

I'll look for more unfinished maps, they are scattered all over my hard drives.

Here you go ^_^Dinoland.rar

I'm not sure if I can fit it into the campaign. I'm not really focusing on dino missions. But if I can I'll throw it in. Full credit to you of course.

"Attack Base" doesn't actually works as unit command though. Olaf mixed up the commands for teamtypes and the ones for units on the map there. "Attack Base" and "Attack Units" are only for teamtypes; they're simply ignored when reading the normal units list.

"Attack Base" doesn't actually works as unit command though. Olaf mixed up the commands for teamtypes and the ones for units on the map there. "Attack Base" and "Attack Units" are only for teamtypes; they're simply ignored when reading the normal units list.

Yeah. I noticed that while I was testing. Did I accidently leave it in the demo?

Edited by Sursion

no, in the dino mission :P

Are you going to include missions involving dinosaurs? That would be more fun in the campaign.

Ehh, I don't think that's a good idea -_-

Besides, purplescrin, do you even PLAY C&C1?

Besides, purplescrin, do you even PLAY C&C1?

Yes and that was the hardest C&C game I have ever played, not to mention poor balancing. :mellow:

no, in the dino mission :P

Oh, yeah. I set "All to Hunt" to every 10 seconds anyways, so it doesn't matter really. That may seem useless but units kept sitting there doing nothing even when they were set to hunt, so I thought it'd be better.

I've run out of idea's for the campaign. I could just do generic base building/destroy the enemy, but I'd rather get all the unique stuff out of the way first. Anyone got some idea's?

Edited by Sursion

Yes and that was the hardest C&C game I have ever played, not to mention poor balancing. :mellow:

Poor balancing? Have you even played C&C1 multiplayer? :P

Anyone got some idea's?

The enemy is attacking a town loyal to your forces where you gain many recruits, you must save it, but the enemy is rather determined.

When you first arrive on the scene, the enemy is sending in light infantry forces and you need to wipe them out with a limited battalion. After succeeding, you have to build a base to prepare for a bigger wave including tanks. After a couple more attempts with tanks, the enemy decides to annihilate it with their superweapon.

You are given a countdown to raid their fortifications and destroy their superweapon before they hit the town with it. Once the threat is neutralized, sweep the area and raise the flag of victory over their smoldering corpses.

If the village center is destroyed, you lose.

I don't know how feasible it would be, but after every wave, if you could get one reinforcement unit for every standing civilian building, it would better motivate you.

^_^

Poor balancing? Have you even played C&C1 multiplayer? :P

Hi I'm a player, almost beginner.

Things I would pay attention on creating a campaign

- Evaluate how many missions will be simple assignments ("crossmap" missions) and how many will be base building missions ("anihilation of the enemy" mission);

- Distribute the role of the commandos in 3 types, just as a guide to balance the excitment of the missions: shooter, sabotage, "support in the middle of the chaos " (i.e. both). And of course consider missions without commandos;

- In general the Tiberium yards placement on the map have specific purposes related to the stage you are in that mission - 1 during recon phase, another during base building and the rest for the final encounter support. It's more exciting if the risk increases when you try to keep a line of "supplies and defense" to tiberium yards. Although most of the players are experienced and few things can surprise them, this supply management tend to make the mission interesting;

- Save Hex (or squares): If you put a natural barrier, don't waste time and space with concrete walls (taking your demo as an example); Avoid double building (2 biolabs, 2 refineries, 2 airstrips, 2etc...);

- Avoid "Nuke" shortcut: if you place factory and barracks close to each other, as soon as the warhead is ready the game might be over;

- Turn diffult the life of Obelisks eheheheheh ;

- Avoid Powerplants collection: To make the mission difficult, some mapmakers tend to make too much powerplants. Weak or limited infantry or other resource might have the same effect. I'm not criticizing the mapmakers because this "feature" tends to be a phase in the evolution of the mapmakers. I mean, it's not wrong to use this scheme, but I think it's a little common place. In the other hand it seems that everybody does it. At least take care not many missions of the campaign would have this approach.

Suggestion of battles:

- A Battle tank in open terrain where knowing how to team up the tanks, rocket launchers, hum-vees and etc is the key to success. Consider spreading minigunners in the battlefield to annoy us (and even Kane eheheheheh). A repair management in the rear in the middle of the battle would be exciting;

- An anti-sniper mission. Put NOD in the valley and GDI snipers uphill with few points of entrance. This way infantry will kept being killed just by "hearing the sound of the silencer";

- Attack a GDI-Retreat by air. Infantry versus Chinooks, Orcas and A10s;

- Spy-Commando mission: A convoy attack where one of the APC is actually carrying a ready nuke. So you have to steal it (engineers), defend it (to prevent a nuclear explosion), all in the middle of the shooting. GDI reinforcements might not be aware of the "package". I really don't know if it is possible to make an APC blow "like hell". A flare sight would signalize the success point of the mission. Consider also one or two decoy additional convoys eheheheheheh

Because I'm not experienced, I really don't have a clue how difficult it is to put all these things into practice.

So I've tried to be of help.

Oh, yeah. I set "All to Hunt" to every 10 seconds anyways, so it doesn't matter really. That may seem useless but units kept sitting there doing nothing even when they were set to hunt, so I thought it'd be better.

That'll just make it attack the top unit... makes it far too easy to make a killzone towards that unit and let all enemies suicide themselves...

I've run out of idea's for the campaign. I could just do generic base building/destroy the enemy, but I'd rather get all the unique stuff out of the way first. Anyone got some idea's?

indooooor! :P

- Evaluate how many missions will be simple assignments ("crossmap" missions) and how many will be base building missions ("anihilation of the enemy" mission);

True, it's nice to have a bit of both :)

- Distribute the role of the commandos in 3 types, just as a guide to balance the excitment of the missions: shooter, sabotage, "support in the middle of the chaos " (i.e. both). And of course consider missions without commandos;

Barely any of the official missions give a commando as support troop though. More like, a leftover from an early objective needed to set up a base.

- In general the Tiberium yards placement on the map have specific purposes related to the stage you are in that mission - 1 during recon phase, another during base building and the rest for the final encounter support. It's more exciting if the risk increases when you try to keep a line of "supplies and defense" to tiberium yards. Although most of the players are experienced and few things can surprise them, this supply management tend to make the mission interesting;

Excuse me, but what are "tiberium yards"?

If you mean tiberium fields, then generally, in C&C1 single player, you have enough with your starting field. Since you can't build MCVs in single play until the very last mission, and even then they're the most expensive thing in the entire game ($5000), you're simply not meant to expand to other places. That's not how the game works. This is C&C1, not TW.

- Save Hex (or squares): If you put a natural barrier, don't waste time and space with concrete walls (taking your demo as an example);

I don't see much use in that. In contrast to rock, walls stop projectiles.

Avoid double building (2 biolabs, 2 refineries, 2 airstrips, 2etc...);

Like the player gets a speed bonus on production, so does having 2 factories allow the AI simultaneous construction. I don't see the use of this remark; it's entirely up to the mission designer. It's entirely possible the mission asks for 2 bio labs as targets to capture or destroy.

- Avoid "Nuke" shortcut: if you place factory and barracks close to each other, as soon as the warhead is ready the game might be over;

Usually, nuke-enabled missions have multiple enemy bases to avoid that. and then there's the fact the AI rebuilds their base. Just make sure you can't take out the CY and all production facilities in one shot.

- Turn diffult the life of Obelisks eheheheheh ;

Eh?

- Avoid Powerplants collection: To make the mission difficult, some mapmakers tend to make too much powerplants. Weak or limited infantry or other resource might have the same effect. I'm not criticizing the mapmakers because this "feature" tends to be a phase in the evolution of the mapmakers. I mean, it's not wrong to use this scheme, but I think it's a little common place. In the other hand it seems that everybody does it. At least take care not many missions of the campaign would have this approach.

True, but you also have to make sure the enemy doesn't have low power from the moment you shoot a single bullet at their power plants...

- A Battle tank in open terrain where knowing how to team up the tanks, rocket launchers, hum-vees and etc is the key to success. Consider spreading minigunners in the battlefield to annoy us (and even Kane eheheheheh). A repair management in the rear in the middle of the battle would be exciting;

Repair? The C&C1 AI only repairs helicopters.

- An anti-sniper mission. Put NOD in the valley and GDI snipers uphill with few points of entrance. This way infantry will kept being killed just by "hearing the sound of the silencer";

Eh, C&C1 doesn't have line of sight, you know. You see uphill snipers. In fact anything reveals itself by shooting.

- Attack a GDI-Retreat by air. Infantry versus Chinooks, Orcas and A10s;

...did you just say "infantry vs A-10s"? There's no such thing in C&C. A-10s win, always. The only thing that can kill them are, ironically, Advanced Guard Towers, Rocket Launchers and Mammoth Tanks. :P

- Spy-Commando mission: A convoy attack where one of the APC is actually carrying a ready nuke. So you have to steal it (engineers), defend it (to prevent a nuclear explosion), all in the middle of the shooting. GDI reinforcements might not be aware of the "package". I really don't know if it is possible to make an APC blow "like hell". A flare sight would signalize the success point of the mission. Consider also one or two decoy additional convoys eheheheheheh

With modding it's easy to put the death animation of a vehicle to the nuke, but you can't do that in one mission. I'm considering implementing a crate system for missions in which you can choose crate effects though, and making one of these possibilities to just put the crate's pickup animation to the nuke explosion shouldn't be hard :)

Note that C&C doesn't have a "vehicle drops crate on death" logic though.

That'll just make it attack the top unit... makes it far too easy to make a killzone towards that unit and let all enemies suicide themselves...

Is there any way to make them not attack the northern most unit? I thought that was just a limitation built into the AI itself.

Also, I like the indoor map. I think there's a lot of potential there. Solo's 'GDI Retreat' was also quite interesting. Thanks for all the helpful idea's guys!

Edited by Sursion

... Like the player gets a speed bonus on production, so does having 2 factories allow the AI simultaneous construction. I don't see the use of this remark; it's entirely up to the mission designer. It's entirely possible the mission asks for 2 bio labs as targets to capture or destroy. ...

I agree with you.

The "avoidances" is just to say "Don't put all the stuff in only one mission".

... "infantry vs A-10s"? There's no such thing in C&C. A-10s win, always ...

I know.

I was trying to resume the idea about the dynamics of the mission (battle).

NOD will attack the retreat. AI-GDI will respond sending something to retaliate or retard the attack and so on.

... You see uphill snipers. In fact anything reveals itself by shooting ...

I knew it but forgot it when I wrote.

Anyway, when the sniper position is revealed (after the killing), he might displace to a foggy area.

Or the Sniper might have a route and just reveals part by part when it stops for the shooting.

Or stay there until he gets killed.

... tiberium yards = tiberium fields ...

Thanks

The concern is: if the map has too much details, there might not have "room" for the tiberium fields.

Is there any way to make them not attack the northern most unit? I thought that was just a limitation built into the AI itself.

Yeah... don't use "Hunt". That's it.

Also, I like the indoor map. I think there's a lot of potential there.

Not easy to make though. I had to resort to hex editing to get this map right; the "pavement" is aactually one cell of beach repeated over and over again :P

(though I could help you with that if you want to use the system)

Yeah... don't use "Hunt". That's it.

Hm. I've tried Attack Base and Attack units (used through team creation, not as a starting activity) and they still attack the northern most item (unless an enemy get's in their way). I'll try some more testing.

Anyways, I've thought up some more missions for the campaign, and I am now working on it once more! Release date should definitely be before October 26th.

Edited by Sursion

Hm. I've tried Attack Base and Attack units (used through team creation, not as a starting activity) and they still attack the northern most item (unless an enemy get's in their way). I'll try some more testing.

Anyways, I've thought up some more missions for the campaign, and I am now working on it once more! Release date should definitely be before October 26th.

I'll be looking forward to the release. Don't make those missions too hard for players.