Sign in to follow this  
Plok

Ink Cartridge not recognized?

After several tries, my printer (Canon PIXMA iP1900) refuses to print anything because of an error window that says "Ink Cartridge Not Recognized: Colour". Even with removing and replacing the cartridge, the error remains. The cartridge should be proper (No. 38) because the printer requires that cartridge number, and it did print shortly after refilling (cca. 3 weeks ago).

But when I come to think of it, I did turn off the computer last night and it had a single Windows Update... Any connections?

Printers are physical manifestations of the devil himself, don't you know this already?

Do you know what caused that error, not including diabolic elements of the printer itself?

Printers are physical manifestations of the devil himself, don't you know this already?

Try scanning with an All-in-one printer.

Have you tried, oh, uninstalling and reinstalling the device?

Hmmm... might use that as a reserve plan, if all else fails. Any other ideas?

OK, I'll try that as soon as I get a large amount of time.

But what if that error returns at some point? I can't keep reinstalling the printer software forever (this is my nth printer and I've never seen anything like this!)

If that's the case, reinstall Windows.

Out of the question.

You're in luck. We have a Canon printer, same series but different model (Pixma iP1980). Try manually resetting the ink cartridge gauges.

Here's the lowdown how:

1. Press Resume button hold for 1 – 2 minutes and then release Resume button.

2. Open the cover

3. Release the cartridge and then put cartridge again

4. Close The Cover then Turn Off the printer then Turn On again. the Printer will back to normal again.

I recommend that you REALLY hold it down for slightly above two minutes (say, 2 minutes and 15 seconds). It will NOT work if you do not follow those instructions either EXACTLY or with extra care. And instead of just turning it off, also unplug the printer. If you encounter any more problems, just drop a message. We also had a problem after refilling, but the next solution will range from tricky to downright impossible (depending on some factors).

Thanks, I tried, but it's still the same - once I turn the printer back on after step 4, it still shows the green light for 1-2 seconds, and starts blinking yellow (on the Resume button) for about 3-4 seconds, and returns to green, in an infinite loop.

Edited by Plokite_Wolf

Well, second solution seems to be in hand... Kindly describe the refilling method you used for your cartridge (i.e. did you just directly inject ink into the cartridge, did you need to drill holes into the cartridge, etc.); it might be since Canon's printers seem to have a way of detecting refilled cartridges (although we did find a way to get around it).

I still say printers are the devil (in other words, they obtain great pleasure from screwing with you).

However...

But when I come to think of it, I did turn off the computer last night and it had a single Windows Update... Any connections?

You could run a system restore to before that update, see if anything changes, and if not, undo the restore.

Well, second solution seems to be in hand... Kindly describe the refilling method you used for your cartridge (i.e. did you just directly inject ink into the cartridge, did you need to drill holes into the cartridge, etc.); it might be since Canon's printers seem to have a way of detecting refilled cartridges (although we did find a way to get around it).

No use here: I leave the refilling business to a small company that does printer refilling, and they have opened relatively recently. I've refilled ink by them once before and everything was ok :huh:

Hm, is the sticker on the top side of the cartridge still intact? That's what Canon printers use to detect whether or not the cartridge has been refilled or not (a relatively stupid idea, imo, but it's good for refill guys).

You mean the one that says "Canon, No. 38" and all that? It is slightly unsticked at the very top, now that you mention it.

Hm, but are there ridges beneath the sticker that are visible? Those are the stuff that are "scanned" (note the quotation marks, this is conjecture from the Chinese refill guides in YouTube) that the printers scan. If so, try adjusting the sticker's position so it covers the ridges... And have you tried disabling the ink status monitors from your PC?

Edit: I'll be sleeping already in a short while. If it's still not fixed with the fixes I've posted, I'll try to get back to you later, probably in about 7 hours or so.

Edited by rSquar3d

I fell sick yesterday, so I forgot to tell my dad about the sticker stuff. He took the printer to the refill guys, where they actually found out that the chip on the top of the cartridge is in a better world now. So he just bought a new one, and it works like a charm now.

Thanks for your help, lads.

Oh. So that's why. Next time you should check the sticker... Damn Canon really wants to extort each and every penny out of our wallets.

Hm, is the sticker on the top side of the cartridge still intact? That's what Canon printers use to detect whether or not the cartridge has been refilled or not (a relatively stupid idea, imo, but it's good for refill guys).

Hi rSquar3d,

I know this is an old thread, but could you please help me with the solution you found. My refilled catridge (Canon ip1980) has the exact problem, the refill guys threw away the sticker and it is not working any more. Worse, I bought an original black cartridge and that too is not working because the printer 'cannot recognize colour' cartridge. Knowing how expensive these stupid ink catridges are, is there any way I can make it work without the sticker on top (or is there anyway around, like printing a replacement sticker, maybe?) (My Cartridge without sticker is is CL831).

I have tried almost everything including reinstalling drivers and re-setting it many times. But you are the only guy whose answer actually made sense. Thanks a lot because now I know there is no point in doing anything else without that stupid sticker on top of it.

Please help!

Tell them to get a refund or something. The thing is probably dry by now. Throwing stickers away is a completely idiotic move unless you're placing the cartridge that very moment.

Thanks Plokite Wolf, yeah, I better get a new one. Anyway I will make sure to take care good care of the sticker from now on. :)