Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Could the Next C&C Be Origin Exclusive?

Not saying this is true, but I would expect that when the next Command & Conquer is released, and you want to buy it online via digital distribution, your only option could be EA's recently relaunched online store called Origin.

nNCfs.png

Various gaming sites are reporting that EA have pulled Crysis 2 from Valve's Steam store. It’s now available on Origin, labelled as an exclusive. As in you can only get it on Origin and no where else. But it is still available on Direct2Drive, Impulse, and GamersGate at the current time. However, it’s possible that EA is still in the process of severing ties with other similar online digital distribution services. But with BioWare recently confirming that its upcoming MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic, will be an Origin exclusive and then there is the recent release of Alice: Madness Returns is nowhere to be found on Steam, we can only wonder if future EA games, such the next Command & Conquer, will be "Origin Exclusive".

It's good that Valve is getting some competition. They have too much of the market and can decide too much.

Unfortunately, this Origin thing has to be successful, otherwise it's a great loss for us, the gamers.

The ultimate thing would be an open content system, controlled by a neutral party. I don't see it happening though.

EA's Origin competing with Valve's Steam? This is where partnership on Valve developing games and EA distributing Valve's games will soon end.

The biggest question now remains, if the next C&C is to be Origin exclusive, what about a retail release? Some people do not like to buy games when it comes to only digital distribution and that's a huge disadvantage to players who don't have a fast Internet connection. Why? The game size just keeps on getting bigger.

Games in the 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s were smaller and even with a DSL connection anyone can buy it online and download them in a moderate matter of time. But now, dual-layer sized games and blu-ray sized games are on the rise. Obviously I cannot handle a game download that big since I currently use DSL and a chance I could be having a limited download usage per month from my ISP.

Edited by zocom7

So lame that EA would pull games off of services they already had up, but whatever. I'd totally understand why they don't add titles but pulling them? Bit of a lame show, hopefully it doesn't screw with anyone who has bought Crysis 2 through Steam. Though why you'd buy Crysis 2 at full price anyway is a bit odd to me :P

Unfortunately, this Origin thing has to be successful, otherwise it's a great loss for us, the gamers.

The ultimate thing would be an open content system, controlled by a neutral party. I don't see it happening though.

Ha, it'd be a great loss for EA too, if it can't compete. I agree with your open content assertion but like you said, probably slim to nothing in terms of actually happening.

EA's Origin competing with Valve's Steam? This is where partnership on Valve developing games and EA distributing Valve's games will soon end.

The biggest question now remains, if the next C&C is to be Origin exclusive, what about a retail release? Some people do not like to buy games when it comes to only digital distribution and that's a huge disadvantage to players who don't have a fast Internet connection. Why? The game size just keeps on getting bigger.

Games in the 1980s, 1990s and early 2000s were smaller and even with a DSL connection anyone can buy it online and download them in a moderate matter of time. But now, dual-layer sized games and blu-ray sized games are on the rise. Obviously I cannot handle a game download that big since I currently use DSL and a chance I could be having a limited download usage per month from my ISP.

I don't see the partnership as being too critical to either party at this point probably.

It's a bit of a bad show to not even offer physical media off your website or something..

IMO This move is too early since Origin is no where near in terms of quality and user base to Steam. I had trouble downloading Crysis 2 last time. I had to download it 3 times to get it right. There are lot of problems like the inability to back up games. May be this has changed with the Origin relaunch, but last time I checked it was not.

Also who can get past the awesome Steam sales :P.

I think Steam is well **** anyway. A while back I wanted to play Half-Life 2, Ep1/Ep2 again, so of course I have to install Steam. Long story short, it decides to download all the games I own rather than installing them from DVD in the drive and then simply downloading the updates for them. Screw that crappy process.

As for Origin.... don't care about that either. Won't be using it. As long the games I want are released as retail on a DVD.

Guest Stevie_K

A site based on the same principles as steam, but only with EA content. Nah, I'll pass. They'll have to do better to get me hooked.

The site looks utterly boring as well.

Proof that a free market doesn't always work out for the best interest of the consumer.

Funny, I've never noticed the free market to ever have the best interest of the consumer at heart. :P

Exclusivity only affects the publishers not us the consumers, same game, different delivery system. Besides I feel its far better for as much of the profits from games to go DIRECTLY to the developer instead of a 3rd party.

A site based on the same principles as steam, but only with EA content. Nah, I'll pass. They'll have to do better to get me hooked.

The site looks utterly boring as well.

Well right now it Origin is the EA Store and EA Download Manager under a different name. That's all that has really as far as I can see.

Funny, I've never noticed the free market to ever have the best interest of the consumer at heart. :P

You make a fair point, my good sir :P

Exclusivity only affects the publishers not us the consumers, same game, different delivery system. Besides I feel its far better for as much of the profits from games to go DIRECTLY to the developer instead of a 3rd party.

Except for the fact that I like having just one delivery system :P

Edited by Inferno

So as in turns out, it was Valve who removed Crysis 2 from Steam, Not EA.

EA: Valve removed Crysis 2

Earlier today EA’s Crysis 2 was removed from Steam, leading many to speculate that the publisher intended to make the title exclusive to its new Origin online portal.

However, EA has now stated that the decision to remove Crysis 2 was made by Steam operator Valve.

Crysis 2 was in violation of a new set of regulations handed down by Valve, says the publisher.

In a statement to IGN, EA writes, “It's unfortunate that Steam has removed Crysis 2 from their service. This was not an EA decision or the result of any action by EA.

“Steam has imposed a set of business terms for developers hoping to sell content on that service – many of which are not imposed by other online game services.

“Unfortunately, Crytek has an agreement with another download service which violates the new rules from Steam and resulted in its expulsion of Crysis 2 from Steam.

“Crysis 2 continues to be available on several other download services including Origin.com.”

Valve has not clarified what these new conditions are.

http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/xbox/games/161...moved-Crysis-2/

Its so great how people are a quick to jump all over EA and condemn them for them their actions without knowing the full story. EA aren't this evil company they are made out to be you know. I always though something was odd about this. If your a publisher of a game you want available on as many services as possible.

EA, Valve, Activision, 2K... they are here for one reason, profit.

So in the end its big thumbs down to Valve on this one :thumbsdown:

Maybe Valve doesn't like competition? :P

I wouldn't be surprised if EA just didn't make any effort to follow these new unspecified rules. Then make everyone blame Valve. We can't be sure who's to blame until we know what the new rules are.

Its so great how people are a quick to jump all over EA and condemn them for them their actions without knowing the full story.

So in the end its big thumbs down to Valve on this one :thumbsdown:

Um... isn't this kind of hypocritical? :huh:

Hypocritical, I don't think so. I was simply stating that it was Valve being the assholes here, not EA. In the end I really don't care about Origin, Steam or anything like this. Its for PC gaming, something I don't do any more.

A rose by any name would smell as sweet...

IMO I don't care what they call the EA store.

Valve offer great specials every now again, so my download preferences will always be price orientated. I would prefer to pay RRP for a physical copy, and a greatly reduced price for a digital download only. Of course - don't ever try to download your game during their summer sales! :)