Sign in to follow this  
MrFlibble

Dune Dynasty - a Dune II Windows & Linux Port

Today a guy dropped by at FED2k Forums and announced a port of Dune II: The Building of A Dynasty called Dune Dynasty. This is an enhanced Windows & Linux port of OpenDUNE, which in turn is a very faithful recreation of the Dune II engine based on reverse-engineering of the original game.

Dune Dynasty offers to play in high resolution modes, adds multiple-unit selection, production queues and rally points, and also improves the AI and sound emulation. At the same time, the port stays as close to the original as possible.

screenshot_hark.png

NOTE: You need the original files from Dune II v1.07 to play.

Edited by MrFlibble

Hmmm. I might try this.

Is it possible yet for a modded Dune II to click and drag multiple units to move and/or attack, rather than individually and manually set a command?

Sounds great. Might try this.

Hmmm. I might try this.

Is it possible yet for a modded Dune II to click and drag multiple units to move and/or attack, rather than individually and manually set a command?

This is not a modded Dune 2, but a separate game -_-

I'm not sure I understood your question, Dune Dynasty does support rubber-band style multiple unit selection. The original DOS game, on the other hand, cannot be modified to include multiple-unit selection at all.

So I downloaded it, the hardest part was finding an abandonware site that had a version of Dune II that worked.

Played a few levels, yeah its like going back in time. :P Even asked those dopy 'security' questions too. :P

When I looked for Dune II patch 1.07, I found three versions (two are from Nyerguds site): one is an fix from the FED2K forums, one for the US and one for the EU.

As for that Dune Dynasty, it actually requires the EU version of Dune II v.1.07. I also found that this program doesn't run on DOS but runs only on Windows and/or Linux.

I am happy with the unit selection but as for the unit(s) moving/attacking, it's all done with the right click mouse.

Edited by zocom7

When I looked for Dune II patch 1.07, I found three versions (two are from Nyerguds site): one is an fix from the FED2K forums, one for the US and one for the EU.

You don't need a 1.07 patch. The EU version Dune Dynasty needs was never released on lower versions than 1.07. Apparently, the version you need is the one they got on Abandonia, but my site has it too (dune2_eu_1.07.zip).

Note that if you use MrFlibble's 1.07 fix on it, you need the .pak files in the "ARRAKIS" folder in the rar file for the EU version. The name of Dune Dynasty got me confused when I did it, and patching it with the DYNASTY folder removed my unit voices :P

As for that Dune Dynasty, it actually requires the EU version of Dune II v.1.07.

As the manual says, yes.

I also found that this program doesn't run on DOS but runs only on Windows and/or Linux.

Duh. The whole point of OpenDune (which this is built on) was to make a 32-bit rebuild of the original Dune II source code (which they got through intensive disassembling/decompiling).

I am happy with the unit selection but as for the unit(s) moving/attacking, it's all done with the right click mouse.

Yeah, that kinda annoys me too, but Dynasty (the author) said on the Fed2k forums he might implement left click commands later.

Following the feedback at FED2k Forums, Dune Dynasty v1.2 had been released:

Version 1.2 is released. It fixes a couple of crashes and performance issues on Windows.

Controls and Gameplay:

• Fix crash when active unit dies while choosing a target.
  • Add starting from mid-way through a campaign.
  • Mouse wheel zooms viewport.
  • Fix keyboard scrolling.
  • Add refinery rally points.
  • Construction yard sidebar icon triggers placement mode.
  • Repair bay sidebar icon ejects unit.
  • Restore maximum saboteur and sandworm count to 3 each.
  • Remove unit slow-down when outside of viewport.

Graphics:

• Fix crater graphics on rock.
  • Fix sandworm and sonic tank blur effect.
  • Improve blur effect on older video cards.
  • Restore screen shakes.

Sounds:

• Fix crash when playing AUD files on Windows.
  • Add support for Sega Mega Drive music.
  • Add structure captured voice.
  • Fix infantry acknowledgement sound.
  • Restore soldier squishy sound.
  • Reduce cracking/choppy/poppy sounds.

Other:

[*]Add reading configuration and saved games from executable directory.

[*]Add introduction subtitles.

[*]Faster startup time.

[*]Improve game speed' date=' menu lag.[/list']

In case you haven't noticed, version 1.4 has been released. After four revisions, the modified game port just got even better than before.

Changes: http://forum.dune2k.com/topic/24316-dune-dynasty/page__st__120#entry376917

Download: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dunedynasty/files/dunedynasty-1.4/

• Upvote 1