Sign in to follow this  
jeffnz

Make your own games with C++ and SDL graphics library

I hacked together a simple program* to show folks how to create objects of a class, then apply a function to each object. Why use C++ you ask? Because it isn't controlled by Microsoft :) ... certainly, C# (Microsoft-friendly) and Java (Oracle-friendly) are used for most commercial things, but if you want to be independent then C++ is the best. Some features um... don't exist in C++, you will have to code them yourself!

Why SDL? Because I hate the layout of the Pygame website... wtf were they thinking! And besides, Python is for noobs anyway :P . Pygame is an SDL wrapper but I say, why bother with a wrapper when you can download raw SDL .lib files and build them into your C++ project. Doing so cuts out the middle man.

Enough about my biased opinions... do any of you bother with programming? I admit it's a frustrating adventure but worth it in the end. If one of us ends up making strategy games, we might not bring back Westwood Studios, but someone here could potentially start a company one day and make strategy games. It just won't be CnC. I'm going to continue on this path and study programming because everything else in this world sucks.

* This pastebin file will expire in one month. I'm already making adjustments that's why I don't put a "keep forever" option on my pastebin stuff, because it becomes obsolete within 24 hours anyway.

Ps. Blitz Max is made by a New Zealand company and they've released it with no charge (free as in beer) they also released the source code. It makes programming games heaps easier, assuming you're on windows. The IDE is a little dated and the fonts look a bit odd, besides that it's excellent.

do any of you bother with programming?

Personally, I've been studying Computer Science for two years now. There's also some people around on the forums who have programming skills.

I'm going to continue on this path and study programming because everything else in this world sucks.

I'm pretty sure that some things suck less than others, I wouldn't dismiss everything if I were you ;)

* This pastebin file will expire in one month. I'm already making adjustments that's why I don't put a "keep forever" option on my pastebin stuff, because it becomes obsolete within 24 hours anyway.

Use Mediafire or Mega. They are better for longer-term storing.

Ps. Blitz Max is made by a New Zealand company and they've released it with no charge (free as in beer) they also released the source code. It makes programming games heaps easier, assuming you're on windows. The IDE is a little dated and the fonts look a bit odd, besides that it's excellent.

Their 3D engine looks quite promising. In the right hands, it should be able to make nice-looking games.

Pastebin has a "forever" option, I just don't need it.

If there are any programmer here, get in and chat guys :P

Back when I was a 12 year old, I remember being on a Tiberian Sun forum and nyerguds was there. This was before I learned what bb code and forum etiquette was. Nyerguds, where is Tiberian Sun 5? I thought you were a genius ^_^

I avoid programming wherever possible, I hate it. I generally steal other people's code, figure out what they were doing, then modify it to suit my own needs. ;)

If I could learn everything about programming by eating a book, I would do that, because I think the knowledge would be very useful, but I do not have the patience to learn it the hard way.

I much prefer sticking to all other aspects of game development and only programming when I must.

I avoid programming wherever possible, I hate it. I generally steal other people's code, figure out what they were doing, then modify it to suit my own needs. ;)

The Stack Overflow mentality... you're not the only one :D

Some folks here must have heard about Spring RTS. I tried that recently and I couldn't figure out how to play the Zero-K tutorial. It's such a shame because Spring RTS is the exact type of engine that the CnC community would approve. Prepare for overblown trailer and epileptic spasm:

Spring RTS trailer by user sereiya.

I'd try modding Spring engine but most likely it's a nightmare to build such a large project. I prefer to start from scratch and instead make a 2d engine.

If I could learn everything about programming by eating a book, I would do that, because I think the knowledge would be very useful, but I do not have the patience to learn it the hard way.

I much prefer sticking to all other aspects of game development and only programming when I must.

Yeah, complex programming could take years to master. I had the same issue too when I first learned C++ where I kinda gave up after one year. The fundamentals can be learned but once you get to the complex and more complicated stuff, you got to remember a whole lot of them and get used to it. Too bad I wished I learned this way back from elementary school.

I go against the grain. C# and DX for me. :P

I'm looking into C# and Microsoft's XNA Game Studio. Sadly I can't download it on my current connection :(

My thought is that if you want to develop professionally, then you're going to work with Microsoft... eventually... little choice in the business, really! Of course, for phones C++ would be great as there's less burden on CPU and RAM (manual memory allocation, no garbage collection in CPP).

Was more of a joke. I don't actually do any game development. At least in the case of coding for a game. I do more boring business-y things. :P

That's where everybody begins isn't it :P

Teamwork + debugging.