Sign in to follow this  
Plok

First Sole Survivor Servers in 20 Years In Development

Sole_Survivor_CnCNet_Logo_1500_Forum.png

On 1 January 2002, official Sole Survivor servers on (the now also former) Westwood Online were shut down, leaving the series' first multiplayer-centric title without a way to play online. Only repetitive 15-minute deathmatches against AI opponents have been available to us since then.

A small group of community members (OmniBlade, CCHyper, tomsons26) have taken it upon themselves to create some sort of alternative that would allow fans to play this game online and even experience the game modes that have been scarcely mentioned or documented. Currently, development is still ongoing and the tester pool is small (including some of the players who were part of the Sole Survivor community back in the day!), but there have already been livestreams by Jarmo and PapasNowPro as early as two weeks ago that can give you a taste of what the game truly looks like.

While there is no strict timeframe for wider community access, the team did announce that they are planning to let more people in once they are satisfied with the stability and performance of their project. Truly great news for game historians, as whatever one may think of titles like this, we will soon be able to fully understand Sole Survivor and gain yet another argument on why relying solely on proprietary servers is a horrible, short-sighted decision that has taken more than one game from its audience...

This is one of those strange dichotomy things where I really like that it is happening... but have no interest in using it myself.

Its worth a quick bash, depends on when you came to C&C  I guess, if you came into it second generation or later I guess it won't have the same nostalgia effect as those who came to it in the first gen which is the era Sole Survivor belongs to.
I do understand the feeling though, I felt similarly about the City of Heros code leak that brought that MMO back to life.

On 27/01/2022 at 5:12 AM, Blade said:

if you came into it second generation or later I guess it won't have the same nostalgia effect as those who came to it in the first gen which is the era Sole Survivor belongs to.

My first C&C was the original C&C. Still not interested in playing Sole Survivor.

For some it's just a passing curiosity since it hasn't been properly available for very long. But regardless of what anyone subjectively thinks of a game, preservation thereof shouldn't be picky.

I never played a game like Sole Survivor and I always wanted a chance to play it. It's a lot funner than what the harshest critics gave it. Lots of players and Teamwork in CTF is what makes the fun factor shine in this game but it contains its fair share of frustrations for newbies. It's definitely a game I will be playing for now on and playing with all the old veterans has been brutal. ^_^

Now that everyone is no longer using dial-up it also makes this game much more responsive and smoother online making 30+ player games much funner. Though we only cracked like a 20+ game so far but lag was minimal/nonexistent.

Edited by Chad1233