Sign in to follow this  
Woofna

Designs of the game ... functional?

I was just reflecting on some of the older concepts, from the CNC games ... and my very favorite non-existent object of all time, the C&C Tiberian Dawn ORCA VTOL, which has somehow been dubbed the F/A-1 (Fight/attack, I guess.) ORCA ... while it is my favorite thing, is it functional?

I note that the engines, whether they be big turbofans powered by an engine inside the ORCA, or actual dual Jet Engines ... are too far back. And the stabilization fan is on the back, not the front. It seems like if you were to balance the Orca on the main jets, it would fall forward, nose-first ... unless the stabilization fan in the rear is actual blowing upwards -- but then it is not producing assistance lift, it's actual causing the Orca to weigh more, in a respect.

This trend goes into TS, into the Orca Fighter (which I hated.) except then the engines were TINY, and the giant missile rack on front seemed to very much add to the problem I see in the Orca VTOL.

I have designed an Orca in my mind, and it looks a bit different but it's pretty much the one on Tiberian Dawn and Renegade. Since it is so small and seems to have no place to put the fuel jet engines were required, I've decided it is nuclear powered. I think I may have a functional design, although we cannot build such a thing in this time and age.

Any thoughts to add?

The rear fan only adds "weight" if it exerts more force than the weight of the front of the craft

The rear fan only adds "weight" if it exerts more force than the weight of the front of the craft

I'm not entirely sure I understand.

The design of the Orca seems to be this ...

-|-----||====

| represents the stabilization turbofan.

|| represents the main engines.

= reprents the cock-pit and weapons systems, which look heavier than the "tail" structure ( --- )

It seems like the turbofan would have to be blowning upwards, to push down on the tail and keep the nose level, or at least somewhere close. But that is a bad design, because with a movement of the main engines to change balance, the rotor could push up and create additional lfit for the Orca, taking some of the workload off the main engines.

But nonetheless, the stabilization fan probably DOES blow downwards to create additional lift ... but if the design and weight ratios are as they appear, than that part is aleady lifting up because the nose of the Orca would theoreticall fall.

There must be something here I do not understand - theoretical design deficiencies don't seem like something Westwood would do. Their flaw is incomplete aspects of the game, like it was finished too early, in most of their CNC games ...

Didn't the US air force attempt to develop the Orca, cos I'm almost sure I saw a similar looking aircraft on TV in the early 90's before C&C was even a reality.

Didn't the US air force attempt to develop the Orca, cos I'm almost sure I saw a similar looking aircraft on TV in the early 90's before C&C was even a reality.

I had a feeling that the game concept may came from from a failed real concept ... I would love to find a picture of the Orca that could have been. But I don't know what it's called, no good way of searching it.

Pretty sure, but I think we actually could we made a few modification.

Guest MadBadger

Don't forget the orca won't be made out of steel prob some high strength carbide or something..... Also the fans only have to blow upwards and forwards say 30 degrees from horizontal ;) just keep blowing at that angle to stay up and go forward and then the rotors just focus down to hover.

Yes we did, and it was scrapped in favor of the V-22 Osprey (which is also having its own issues) and the JSF program.

let's each make our own orca's according to our own theories and see if they work

let's each make our own orca's according to our own theories and see if they work

And how do you propose we see if they work? Want me to just go out the back and test it out?

lol ok you first. when you make one come tell us

alright give me about a month and i'll have results a month cus i've got to start from scratch

Do you just think these things up? Or do you have help?

I mean I'm just asking... :P

... honestly i cant answer that question without streching the truth

I doubt I'll be building an ORCA in my garage anytime soon

But good luck on that :wink:

Guest MadBadger
... honestly i cant answer that question without streching the truth

naaa you ain't gota streach the truth just use the 14th and 15th letters of the alphabet :P

I mean come on.... only 1 month to build a working orca? lol! Take peeps like a month to work out what materials to use!

I said it had an atomic power source ... it would almost have to, to have enough power to lift itself, if it were small as it is ...

Double-As might now work.

Hmm ...

Or how about... at TIBERIUM power source? I mean, that would be SO loyal to the fiction, right? :roll:

Nuclear powered ORCA :rofl:

IT could easily attain the power needed to fly without resorting to nuclear power. Besides, to you see a nuclear reactor on that thing? Cause I sure dont

Well, I don't know if you've heard of the V-22 Osprey...that could be it :wink:

V-22_overpax.jpg

It looks about the same, except the turboprops aren't encircled and there is no tail rotor :wink:

to better illustrate the V-22's likeness to the ORCA

ospreyhovering32uj.th.jpg

i am making this orca with rubber bands a wood body and wooden props pretty simple really

i am making this orca with... props

:?