Nmenth

Tanya verdict

The new Tanya was kind of a controversy when announced, so, now that RA3 has been out for a while and I think most people here have played it, what is your verdict on the new Tanya played by Jenny McCarthy?

I said somewhere in the posts (couldn't find it) that I would reserve final judgment until after I had played. I have, and here it is.

I am not impressed. I did not like her voice, it sounded forced, or really like she was reading it off a script in front of her. Especially so in the Allied campaign in which she and Natasha are bantering each other.

She didn't seem like Tanya. She didn't look tough as nails, despite what she, or anyone else, claimed. The scene in which she is supposed to be interrogating a Soviet was unconvincing. She looked even worse then, due to my opinion that the Soviet man was doing a much better acting job and threw off the contrast.

The heavy eye make up was terribly distracting and the ultra tiny top looked incredibly stupid.

The in-game unit is obviously not the actress, but I find it to be less-than-good as well. The overly yellow hair looks fake and unbalanced. An annoyingly bold splotch messing up the battle field.

I seriously dislike her hollow taunts and character so much, that I make executing her a high priority whether she poses a threat to me or not.

There you have it. Agree, disagree? What is your opinions on the new Tanya?

I had nothing against her, but Wuhrer was obviously much sassier. Bear in mind though that Wuhrer had much more screen presence to play with. But from an acting perspective, both have been cheesy and forced in my opinion. As was Sergej, who acted even worse. Loved Eva though, as I did the rest of the team. As for the in-game unit, I do prefer her old voice.

like she was reading it off a script in front of her.

While shooting the FMV all the actors had a Teleprompter/Autocue in front of them.

As for Jenny McCarthy as Tanya. I liked Kari Wuhrer's Tanya better but I had no issues with Jenny McCarthy. I think she was ok.

She had a bit role, so I didn't mind her. Although I preferred Kari's performance too. But she had more to work with.

Jenny's character was very unconvincing in menace and/or as a love interest for me.

I don't use the commando characters much in game, so I don't complain. But enemy commando's are a high target anyway.

While shooting the FMV all the actors had a Teleprompter/Autocue in front of them.

I actually figured they did, but thought if they were any good, would have already known the script and wouldn't need to look at it.

I still think Kari Wuhrer did a better job, but Jenny McCarthy gave it a game try. The direction as well as the actress' skills brought down Tanya though, and have me wondering what she would have been like if the rumors were true and Milla Jovovich had the role.

Saracen is the only one spouting that rumour...

Kari Wuhrer was like ten times better and hotter :P

The way I look at it is we look at the way Kari Wuhrer played Tanya, we take her 'yeah baby' and death cackle, and there was no way that could be matched, and Gemma Atkinson and the writers probably chose not to even try. They probably saw fit to put a different spin on the character, pass her off as more of a European version rather than perhaps something closer to the way Kari Wuhrer played her, she was much more American in style and attitude, Tanya was probably seen as a Bond type character, either she was meant to be the same person regardless of the actor or maybe was given the name Tanya and we have different Tanyas about, we have the 1970s version perhaps or one timeline's version, we have another Tanya who is perhaps a different version, someone else who has the codename Tanya or maybe another Tanya from another timeline. Without dropping spoilers it is suggested this is meant to be the same Tanya, so how that works seems to be a bit fuzzy. I can accept different looks, different voice and such, but as hard as Gemma Atkinson worked at capturing the essence of the character she came across as being a female commando who had the handle, the codename Tanya, rather than her being the same person, and the same could be said were we to go from RA1 Tanya and RA2 Tanya, they seem to be a female commando given the Tanya codename rather than the same person as the games might have us believe.

I think you have got your actresses mixed up there Leang ;)

Jenny McCarthy (below) plays Tanya.

tanya.jpg

Gemma Atkinson (below) plays Eva.

eva_mckenna.jpg

Jenny McCarthy. What I was trying to say was how there was a combination of confusion perhaps over whether this was a different Tanya or if she was meant to be the same person (and either way despite trying her hardest to emulate the role the character seems less capeable of being interchanged as James Bond is) and how EA seemed less concerned with filling in the backgrounds of the different units and characters and more concerned with saying "now each unit has two abilities...oh look at all the hot women we have playing the characters."

Though Lissette was sweet.

I didn't mind Jenny playing Tanya. She seemed to play the role fine. The problem I feel is that you didn't see the characters very often if at all. Characters like the comms officers were fine as you saw them all the time. But others you saw maybe in one or two cut scenes that was about it. :(

I am still having sore eyes seeing Jenny McCarthy as Tanya in RA3, Kari Wuhrer is really awesome as Tanya in RA2.

Why do I not like RA3 Tanya, because her looks really doesn't have the tanya looks, her voice isn't right. So what's the big deal when they were making an announcement that Jenny McCarthy is Tanya and emphasised that she is a Playboy Playmate? I guess there are better looking Playboy playmates than Jenny McCarthy. Besides, Jenny looks old.

I say EA should've make Alyssa Milano as Tanya. Or Jaime Pressly should also fit the bill.