Sign in to follow this  
Gben

In a nutshell, what is the best and worst news about C&C4 so far?

The best and worst about C&C4  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What's the most exciting thing you've heard about C&C4?

• Gameplay Mechanics (Crawlers, Base Building / Tiberium Harvesting / RPG Elements)
    • Single Player Campaign (Epic Conclusion / FMV's / Soundtrack)
    • Multiplayer (Objective Gameplay, 80+ units, 5 v 5)
    • Other (please explain)
  2. 2. What's the thing that worries you most from what you've heard about C&C4?

• Gameplay Mechanics (Crawlers, Base Building / Tiberium Harvesting / RPG Elements)
    • Single Player Campaign (Epic Conclusion / FMV's / Soundtrack)
    • Multiplayer (Objective Gameplay, 80+ units, 5 v 5)
    • Other (please explain)

There has been a deluge of bad news coming out of C&C4 HQ, listing new features and directions for the game... well at least to my ears anyway.

But I realised last night, rather than totally write the game off, the epic conclusion of the Saga (ie. the story), this is the only thing keeping me interested in buying the game.

Of course the beta will come out eventually and I'll be able to judge the gameplay then, but it's the story element that keeps me interested.

And then I wondered what everyone else is interested in most?

Rather than use my patented 20 choice response, I tried to keep it as simple as possible - as Sonic does to get a litmus test of our little community here.

(No need for long, repetitive answers that you've already posted elsewhere - keep it simple!)

YAY - Single Player Campaign (Epic Conclusion / FMV's / Soundtrack)

Reason: I'm into storyline. C&C storyline has been hanging in endless cliffhangers and it'll be great to conclude the arc after 15 years. It appears that the developers are making more sense to make better darker and serious FMVs and reduce the unnecessary expensive Hollywood cast. I'm also looking forward to the soundtrack with majority of the composers from the previous successful RA3 soundtracks.

MEH - Gameplay Mechanics (Crawlers, Base Building / Tiberium Harvesting / RPG Elements)

Reason: Yes I am looking for change. But some elements are way too much. Crawlers are fine, though its not new in RTS games, but I was disappointed that base building has been reduced that much. Change in harvesting with this TCN thing, wut?! The RPG elements may be a little worrying as well, lets hope they do it right.

Well, that's my say.

Edited by Malevolence

Yay - Continues/ends the story. Hopefully the ending provides a significant level of closure.

Nay - Everything else. If it wasn't for the name, this wouldn't be a C&C game. Sure the story is the same, but nothing else is. Fundamentally this game has so little in common with its predecessors its not funny.

Here's my vote...

Good news : Single player, I can't wait to see what's going on further, and hopefully it'll end with a good bang.

Bad news : Only online, I never felt so insulted, especially when Big Mike explained that through his interview. How touching, how lovely for you to say, HOW RUDE! You all think America with the people with great high speed connections, but what about us in poorer countries with slower connections?! You don't care for us!!

I'm with the multiplayer on this one. The huge amounts of units (or customisation of those units) coupled with the potentially similar world in conflict style Gameplay has generated a lot of interest for me. As I've said in the past WiC became online crack cocaine for me. I was nothing short of nuts about it, and played it at a strong competitive level. So if C&C 4 can manage a similar experience then I'm sold on it.

As for the downside... well, 2 things really. this DRM rubbish of being online does have it's downsides. It has some rather excellent positives of course. But I've always felt that Single Player should be a purely offline experience. All this so called "offline hack cheating" is perhaps without a doubt their political spin to justify their actions, but I dunno.

Stardock are on board with their Gamers Bill of Rights, which now has the support of Blizzard-Activision, Ubisoft, THQ, 2K, Atari and Capcom to name a few... Maybe EA should look at the Gamers Bill of rights once again and change their DRM practice to reflect the "Impulse Driven" network of publishers. Single player is purely offline, you register your key with the online network, and you get your updates, patches, multiplayer gaming etc from there. With this model is the only way to get them too. Much like Steam. This is the online business model of the future. Not EA's way.

Secondly. I just hope this game isn't going to suffer the typical EA online "Sims 3" syndrome. It's a common thing with EA to leave half the content out of the game. There's a potential 80+ units in C&C 4, sure, but say if we only get 35-40 to unlock. And if we want the rest, we'll have to pay premium on top to access them. Other games like the Tiger Woods and Need for speed franchise are purposely having pre-made content left out of the game so they can be sold as DLC... the result is that the packaged game appears to have less and less "offline" standard content with each progressive title. However, the public are still being charged full price for what is effectively nowadays, half a game.

This arguably is an unfair trade practice in my book. I can understand the micro-expansion model. But extra content should help enhance the original game and its gameplay. Stardock & Ironclad released the Sins of a Solar Empire expansion, "Entrenchment" Earlier this year... for $10, it improved huge gaps in the original release, and brought about some strong significant changes. Fallout 3 had great DLC, as do many others. All of which gave a much more enjoyable and richer experience to their titles... But EA's way of doing things, I just can't get my head around it.

Edited by Saracen

Ahh, yes, the Bill of Rights, EA continues to evade and not follow it, how pathetic as they only want to earn money for themselves. All that money I'm pretty sure they'll gather up enough, and once it's enough, they can buy out competition, just like how they merged Westwood, and who's next, Blizzard or Ubisoft?

For the unfair trade as I'm shock of what you said, Saracen, even though I never played the other games, but when you mention those, I fear EA is already corrupted for the sake of earning money instead of pleasing the fans. This is really a serious issue even the EA CEO also don't take this into consideration, even the Bill of Rights also remain ignored by him. According to many of us' opinions, they'll say (including myself) "If I have the billions of dollars, I will buy out EA and will do it my way just to please the fans, not to earn money for the sake of just earning money."

Ahh, yes, the Bill of Rights, EA continues to evade and not follow it

Its not a mandatory thing, set in stone or US law. Its some buddy/buddy deal, nothing more. The so called Games Bill of Rights is nothing but a joke to me.

Yay: Other: It looks like the technology level has finally caught up to where it should have been in C&C3. Also it sounds like they want to make the story and FMVs good but we'll see about that.

Nay: The gameplay mechanics are what I am not liking about this game so far. Also not enthused about the multiplayer if "objective-based" gameplay is EALA code for "capture points only," but apparently it is, just like Battlefield. Maybe there's more than that. It would certainly be good if there was more than that. Also still hate dynamic music.

I know, Sonic, it's not an official law set by the White House or something, but EA continues to evade it because they can handle their own games their way. But like I said, if they don't follow, their reputation is affected, internally (Bosses & employees) will not feel a thing, but externally (Fans & consumers) will feel it.

Remember Left 4 Dead 2 & Valve? Valve affected by the boycott and they listened, if they continue to ignore, Valve fans will lose their faith and they'll move on to other game competitors. For EA, will they ever listen? Like any of the Westwood questions (Soldier's Head, numerous CGI & Firestorm environment and including Mutants), will EA answer them? Of course not, the answer by them is, no, they probably answer back as "We get what we WANT, NOT what you want! What are you going to do? Cry?!"

Edited by Silverthorn

Guest Stevie_K

Most exited about (Other): This game looks to be very fun and time consuming.

Most worried about (Gameplay): The fact that harvesting and base building is C&C no more. Respect to EA if they can make me feel that I am even playing a C&C game.

The so called Games Bill of Rights is nothing but a joke to me.

Saying it's a joke is quite an insult to yourself as a gamer. :) imo It should be law, and there's so many reasons why. It would also have spared about 80% of the furious discussions and posts about C&C4 so far ;)

I know, Sonic, it's not an official law set by the White House or something, but EA continues to evade it because they can handle their own games their way. But like I said, if they don't follow, their reputation is affected, internally (Bosses & employees) will not feel a thing, but externally (Fans & consumers) will feel it.

Remember Left 4 Dead 2 & Valve? Valve affected by the boycott and they listened, if they continue to ignore, Valve fans will lose their faith and they'll move on to other game competitors. For EA, will they ever listen? Like any of the Westwood questions (Soldier's Head, numerous CGI & Firestorm environment and including Mutants), will EA answer them? Of course not, the answer by them is, no, they probably answer back as "We get what we WANT, NOT what you want! What are you going to do? Cry?!"

I share your views on this one. But unfortunately we can do nothing much about it.

Saying it's a joke is quite an insult to yourself as a gamer. :) imo It should be law, and there's so many reasons why. It would also have spared about 80% of the furious discussions and posts about C&C4 so far ;)

Yes it can be a law but its still not a law for now. So until somebody turns this into a something compulsory, right now the gamers can just sit there and whine.

Edited by Malevolence

Its not a mandatory thing, set in stone or US law. Its some buddy/buddy deal, nothing more. The so called Games Bill of Rights is nothing but a joke to me.

So really what you'd be saying there is that Microsoft's own certification process (which is considered law to developers who develop for the PC Live platform and the 360) is a joke too. Would you want a game that consistantly locks up your system, or requires you to connect to Live just to use it, or worse still contains code which would only allow you to play that disc on your own 360? (The former which that the likes of EA and Konami are in favour of to kill the pre-owned games market)

The Console manufacturers all have their own versions of the Bill of rights in place already. This protects the hardware, the consumer and the manufacturer itself. Such rules are well in place in console development, and if they're not adhered to, then the game/patch/DLC or whatever will not see the light of day. As it stands Stardock realise that the PC is the only platform where such rules do not exist in earnest because no one company controls the hardware. The Bill of rights sets out to attempt to add some stability to the platform, and allow a standard code of practice which can in turn protect gamers and developers alike.

So to say it's a joke Sonic, is really a form of ignorance to the fact that most of the industry already has something like this in place. If it didn't, then we'd have have rogue publishers doing what the hell they liked to stop Piracy... which isn't true afterall... it's all about killing the pre-owned market. But if you kill that, you might as well shut down every single games retailer on the planet right now... because the pre-owned market is bigger than the new sales market, and it's what keeps retail stores open. But of course, this is what EA and Konami wish to stop, since it eats into their profits. And part reason why the console manufacturers want the pre-owned market to stay, is because cheap 2nd hand games sells hardware... and this is another reason the Bill of rights (in whatever form) is in place in the console industry.

I'm hoping to avoid debates in this thread - I just want to know as concisely as possible - what everyone is looking forward to the most and what people fear the most. Take the other discussion elsewhere please.

I haven't played the game yet of course :P But these are my likes and dislikes of what I have seen so far in reflection of the material available to us.

Not judgmental at all... haha

-80 Units, through customization, but bad if that means like 10 units a side and like 4 different combos each. Lame. IFV anyone?

-A close to the CNC saga. They kind of started to go downhill a bit recently game play wise, at least for me. KW was good, but it foreshadowed an inevitable doom for CNC, you just knew that EA had to switch it up, but not this much! lol

-Not too many positives as of yet. Hope it will change!

Dislikes

-First and foremost, no offline modes. 100% online. That is a problem. What if the net goes down or goes slow? Result: can't play anything or choppy/laggy gameplay. Who wants that? Come on EA!!!

-Not a fan of dynamic music. CNC3's music was forgettable and a ridiculous excuse for a CNC soundtrack, most likely EA's fault and not the composer's. Where's Frank when you NEED him?

-Base crawling. What the crap! Sigh. This train is heading for a crash :(

- Taking away too much of what 'IS' CNC. The reason I hate all other RTS, besides early AOE's. I want CNC game play and basebuilding and tactics, I don't want tried and failed gameplay experiments. Not back then and not now, especially with my favourite RTS's.

-No harvesting, like what the crud??? I wish this was a big joke :(

-Hmm 'objective based game play', don't know what to think as I don't have much info on this yet. But for single player missions a lot of RTS's have gone down this road :( I just hope it isn't mandatory lol. I want to build my base pump out some sweet units and go have fun unrestrained, u know? sigh.

-Pop cap would be uber bad. If its 5 v 5 I can understand as you will overwork the engine, but it better not be less than like 30 units! But I guess it would discourage tank spamming.

-RPG elements? meh, not really a fan for RTS. If I want RPG I'll go play an RPG. Though it depends on how 'RPG' these elements are :P Just so they aren't out of hand haha

And on and on and on. But we'll see won't we ^_^

I think gben can add one more exciting element in C&C4 development, Tiberian Twilight name.

But that news was just recently arrived, so I'm not sure if a poll update will do. But anyway, for my point of view or added update :

Good news - Tiberian Twilight name, and possibly I even get access to the beta even though I wasn't interested.

Bad news - Return of the crappy X design with empty black areas instead of bringing back the classic and undamaged Soldier's Head.

Like: Mostly the end of the series, campaign, new units, 5v5, GDI's guardian image gets desecrated.

Bad/dislikes:

Online only(lets see, if your internet goes down, you don't have internet, or your internet sucks, sucks to be you)

The new gameplay mechanics(becoming a C&C game by name only, Crawlers and no more Tiberium fields is bad)

Objectives in multiplayer(unless they have the usual battle, FFA, team game modes)

The fact that 5v5 was here first and RA3 got 3v3 only(doesn't really count though)

The fact that when this comes out, C&C3 and RA3 is now dead to ea

Might be unoptimized as hell.

Edited by ForcedDj

YAY:

* I'm keen to see how the storyline plays out.

NAY:

* Not sold on the new gameplay mechanics, but I'm willing to reserve judgment until some gameplay vids come out.

* Really not happy that I'll have to be online to play.

Edited by Shocker

What's the most exciting thing you've heard about C&C4?

i think im going to like the multiplayer best but what is multiplayer based around? that s right, gameplay mechanics (i know its other things too but those were the only choces there were listed and i didnt want to chose multiplayer because.. well you know how c&c multi is..)

What's the thing that worries you most from what you've heard about C&C4?

the end of nod.

What's the most exciting thing you've heard about C&C4?

Mutants playing a big part in the missions, along with possibly other unplayable factions.

What's the thing that worries you most from what you've heard about C&C4?

Tiberium harvesting (or the end thereof).

The possible end of Nod.

Three main things worry me at the moment:

1. Population limits. Arrrg, I hate games with population limits (but I guess it kind of makes sense given the story)

2. Economy system (harvesting being replaced and all)

3. Online only. Not everyone have great internet connection all the time EA.

I love the fact that the multiplayer is going to be a larger scale (in the sense of 5v5).

But the fact that theres a pop cap, no harvesting, and no base building in any real sense of the word (as far as we know) really has me not wanting to "buy" this game.

umm the best i have heard about C&C4 is the 5v5, crawlers, and infantry actually have more usefulness. Im neutral on everything else, im waiting to see what its like when the game comes out.

C&C4's new gameplay may not be new so some RTS players who have played some of Relic's and Blizzard's RTS games, but also the online method could go so bad, so why not have EALA be using Valve's Steam service instead?

Guest Stevie_K

no, I think running it through steam services would only get more complicated and inefficient.

My biggest worry so far is that this game just won't be fun to play. Especially for a hardened C&C fan who are expecting way too much.

One of the good things however are the visual effects. I can't comment on the gameplay but damn!, those effects shown in that last vid rocked!