Sign in to follow this  
General Kane Nash

Should I buy Red Alert 3

Well, that's basically the question, I never bought Red Alert 3 and went directly to play Uprising (thanks CNCNZ.com for the event ^_^ ) So, now I have checked it in at the EA Store and is not even at 10 euros in my region, so far I have heard a lot of balance rants at the official forums, but, well, they are always ranting there, so I prefered to go here since I suppose people here has a more impartial jugdement.

My other option in mind was Act of War: High Treason, http://store.steampowered.com/app/9760/ I already played Direct Action and it was awesome except for the fact I had to live up with the game translation which I strongly dislike sinxe I am all for english when is about games.

So, what do you think? Red Alert 3 or Act of War: High Treason?

I kinda like RA3 because of the modding content. RA3 modding has improved dramatically after the Uprising Mod SDK and Bibber's CNC Asset Extractor were released specifically for the RA3 Mod SDK.

I think this is a good time for you to try and buy RA3 since RA3 Paradox (will be releasing July 4) and RA3 Upheaval (with 11 Uprising units) add-on mods are quite interesting and so is my Spam Alert 3 mod (with 13 Uprising units and other new units): http://forums.cncnz.com/index.php?showtopic=13772

Beware of the cartoonish look with the colored highlighters on units and structures, they can be disabled in the RA3 option settings where you set VFX-Details option to low. Of course, same goes to RA3 Uprising.

As for that other game, Act of War: High Treason, never heard of that game before. But it's your choice.

It seems this is my day, just now Steam has announced a 66% discount for High Treason, which means it now only costs 7 dollars, so I will buy it :D

OH HECK! ENGLISH PATCH FOR TOUHOU 12.3!! WIN!

TROPICO 3 -66% discount B) It seems this is a nice day for me!

Edited by General Kane Nash

It seems this is my day, just now Steam has announced a 66% discount for High Treason, which means it now only costs 7 dollars, so I will buy it :D

OH HECK! ENGLISH PATCH FOR TOUHOU 12.3!! WIN!

TROPICO 3 -66% discount B) It seems this is a nice day for me!

Well it's a good thing you went for those games. One thing I forgot to tell you, that RA3 does have DRM.

Tropico 3 is a great game, you should grab the expansion pack too, it adds a few nice little extras. Plus a load of scenarios too. :)

You should get Red Alert 3 for the boobs. :P Steam recently had a sale on EA games so your unfortunate in that regard. :(

A C&C fan would get RA3 ;)

Guest Stevie_K

I think RA3 is worth the fun it delivers, but if you expect it to be better than RA2 then you will be disappointed.

Steam is going on a discount rampage at the moment, so there's a good chance you might catch it for a very low price in the upcoming weeks.

I think RA3 is worth the fun it delivers, but if you expect it to be better than RA2 then you will be disappointed.

Steam is going on a discount rampage at the moment, so there's a good chance you might catch it for a very low price in the upcoming weeks.

He says he has Uprising, so I'm sure he knows what to expect.

RA3 already had its Steam sale.

Guest Stevie_K

nitpicker :P

It might get a discount again. It's not like that was the last time ever.

RA3 was pretty good, so yes :)

Hmm, I am delaying it becasue I have found Dawn of War 2 Gold Edition Pack which includes both the original game and Chaos Rising, I have heard wonders of Chaos Rising, SupCom2 had a -66% offer, but since SupCom1 didnt work correclty in my PC (no audio) and Forged Alliance installation didnt work I decided not to take the risk, I also bought Tropico 3 and Absolute Power, funny thing, the caribbean water reminds me of RA3, but it's rather far more realistic since Kalypso studios didnt overabuse of the shaders.

I had Hight Treason installed and it's working decently well, although I had problems with the steam account so I had to switch the folders in order to make it work, weird thing.

I DO NOT FEAR SECUROM.

For what you read before you may have already suspected I am not the guy who simply let his stuff get beaten by technical issues, I will not enter in detail about how far I usually go to take care of such silly problems, and honestly I have never feel compeled to not to buy a game jsut because they add some stupid requirement (unless is always online, but then I installed an off-line mode for C&C4 ust in case).

t

He, for some reasons and despic HT is like 4 years older than RA3 it looks awesomely more realistic, units are well proportioned, enviroment looks like you are really watching real world and VFX are very well done, I am just getting in a mission at sea, water looks good.

RA3 is a solid game, and fun C&C too.

Really? Well I just played the campaign in a friend of a friend's PC and I found it somehow awful, unremarkable and with nothing really memorable, except perhaps for the Shogun Executioner, and it was one of the fugliest designs I have ever seen in videogames (which is to say something).

Right now I have finished the DoW 2 campaign and I simply found it awesome, everything on DoW2 is awesome, just the design and the VFX and the master work they did with every single model, and you got 5 very unique squads and a dreadnought, you have so many options and stuff to collect and powers to unlock and missions to play and awesome dialogue (Cyrus and Avitus demand special mention with the amount of badassery they brings in every words) and awesome characters and challenging gameplay that C&C has started to feel like a really weak series to me.

I am not sure if the multiplayer is going to be similar bcs I only tried the RA3 beta and campaign and still havent go into DoW2 multiplayer.

But right now I will be bussy with Chaos Rising campaign and leveling up my heros in last stand, and I am starting to suspect I will not buy RA3 since there is nothing like quotes like:

"Come on alien, show me your fury!"

"Do not waste what the Emperor provides"

"One down. Millions to go.

"Victory is but a prelude to the next battle"

And probably one of the most epic dialogues ever:

Thaddeus: "We have nowhere to fall back to."

Avitus: "Come, Thaddeus. Did you imagine any of us would return from this mission?"

Thaddeus: "No. I suppose I did not. But I cannot imagine a better end than this"

IG sarge: "Then I guess we had better take as many of the damn bugs with us as we can."

Avitus: "Well said, Sergeant."

Tarkus: "Well said indeed, Avitus. Brothers, make yourselves ready."

Cyrus: "And may we find ourselves again at the right side of the Emperor."

Edited by General Kane Nash

I found it somehow awful, unremarkable and with nothing really memorable

Not all C&C fans' opinions on RA3 are alike, I tend to agree with you on this, although "awful" may be a little further than I would go.

If you can live with a C&C missing from your collection, then I see no reason why you would need to buy it.

Shrugs... I liked RA3 and Uprising.

Shrugs... I liked RA3 and Uprising.

Thank you gben :P