Sign in to follow this  
Gben

Red Alert: A Path Beyond | Nuclear Winter Patch

As posted in our Community News forum, the talented team of BlueHell Productions have released an update to their popular "Red Alert 1" to "C&C Renegade" total conversion called "Red Alert: A Path Beyond". This is quite simply a FPS shooter set in the original Red Alert universe. If you have never played the game before do yourself a favour and download today. The game is a free standalone game freely available from their website. This is sure to help keep the fans amused until their next major release.

post141280833445.png

Nicknamed "Nuclear Winter," this patch addresses balance issues and scoring problems that became apparent after Cold Fusion was launched. You may be unable to connect to your favorite server until it is updated. As of writing, both the AW clan server (now the Official US APB server) and the MP-Gaming server (Official Euro APB Server) are up and running 1.4.0 so go play!

An updated server hosting package will be made available in the coming days, as well. Mirrors will be added to the list below as they become available; please contact a staff member or moderator to have yours appended to this list. Check the release thread for more information and patch notes

Click here to download the latest version. Click here for the changelog.

Please note there is only a full version available for download currently.

You must completely uninstall your previous installation of Cold Fusion before installing Nuclear Winter.

An incremental patch will no doubt be available as soon as possible.

Want to see your mod featured here at CNCNZ.com?

Then why not post your updates in our Community News forum.

Maybe so, but it's still fun to play and quite popular.

We have pushed the limits of the engine quite a bit (with the help of Tiberian Technologies using scripts 4.0) and our assets have much more detail then stock renegade does.

There have been numerous talks of engine changes, but the fact is, most of us developers don't have super awesome computers, so half of us wouldn't be able to start working on something such as UT3. And then it would take quite some time importing assets or remaking assets to the new engine. Let alone coding the same style of gameplay. Sure, we could do something with Renegade X with the new engines. But we find a lot of our playerbase also has low-spec computers and enjoy being able to run this on almost anything.

Anyway, perhaps in the future it will change, who knows.

Ignore Jarzka's comments drunkill, he doesn't like anything related to C&C or this site apparently yet he keeps coming back :rolleyes:

Anyway, downloading the new ABP version now to give it a whirl..... great download speeds as well using the CNC FPS mirror.

image2ug.png

This most recent news shouldn't causes problems for me, but just heads up for anyone else.

For people having Launcher problems...

Due to an oversight on my part, uninstalling Cold Fusion after installing Nuclear Winter will cause the launcher to fail to launch the game correctly[/b] -- you'll know you have the problem if a window pops up saying "Couldn't find a path to renalert.exe in the registry." when you run the launcher. If you haven't uninstalled CF already, don't do it; we have a patch version coming out soon, probably later today. It's much better to just delete the CF folder than "Uninstall" it.

If you HAVE uninstalled CF after installing NW, there is a fix; read this thread for more info. Also, if you are still having this issue and you didn't uninstall CF after installing Nuclear Winter, let me know, the problem might be bigger than I thought. Post here, leave comments. Tell me if this worked or not.

More: http://www.apathbeyond.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22429

I agree with Jarzka on this one.

Red Alert: A Path Beyond should be upgrading to a new game engine by now just like what Renegade-X did go for.

Edited by purplescrin

Shush now... APB is perfect in this engine. It's about gameplay not graphics... and besides at least the game is actually out and not in development hell.

I agree with Jarzka on this one.

Red Alert: A Path Beyond should be upgrading to a new game engine by now just like what Renegade-X did go for.

I'm not sure that will buy us increased playability or server population in exchange for the increased system requirements.... I don't think starting over is a cunning release strategy, either, after sinking development time into another engine. What are my advantages here? I guess it might be easier to add in boats and airplanes, but that's only after everything else is shoved into the engine. To me it looks like simply swapping the challenge; instead of starting with C&C and adding shiney, we start with shiney but have to add the C&C.

e: I have to admit, half the fun is fighting with the old engine. I guess it's part of why people still mod the original C&C.

Edited by Chronojam

Sorry, but i like APB right where it is. Sure it might not be the prettiest thing out there, but with my dinosaur computer its a damn fine game and meets my FPS needs to the point i dont even have another FPS on my computer. As long as BHP keeps deving APB ill keep playing. I dont care if 10 years from now they are still updating the game, if its not dead then ill be playing. Gameplay > Graphics any day of the week.

Edited by Publix666

Ye, why move to a complelty unknown engine to the devs with the only increase is graphics?

Nah W3D ftw anyday!

ALSO

those with problems with the launcher, a quick reinstall solved all of my problems

Ye, why move to a complelty unknown engine to the devs with the only increase is graphics?

Nah W3D ftw anyday!

Yeah, the W3D engine is completely flawless :')

To me it looks like simply swapping the challenge; instead of starting with C&C and adding shiney, we start with shiney but have to add the C&C.

Well, we're kind of doing that for you. :P