Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Reworking the CNCNZ.com Logo

Lately you have seen way less news posting from me over the past couple of months or so. This is thanks to our News Team who are doing a great job keeping the news flowing on a regular basis. This also means it frees up time for me to work on other things.

Firstly I will confirm right here and now, yes a new look CNCNZ.com is in the extremely early stages of being made. It has new colours, but not to far from what we have now now. In fact its more of switch around of what becomes primary, secondary etc...

To give you an idea of what I mean I will reveal my early (but oh so damn close to final) version the new site logo. Normally I don't show stuff out side of the staff so consider this a sneak peek ;)

Honestly speaking, I shouldn't be show anyone this, its really out of my comfort zone here. In all the years I've never posted anything new so early.

This one is transparent, I think it looks nice on the blue background. The main font is new blue, the yellow (now a gold/bronze colour) drops back to the shadow colour....

0Fti9.png

Same logo again but on black this time....

lS0Hi.png

And finally, this is not the new layout, it just something sort of ahhh..."borrowed" to use in my testing ;) But its close to the new colours I may use ;)

YGyJB.png

I will not put a date on when the next layout will be done. I'm thinking months from now to be honest. I'm in no hurry. What is in place looks great and is working well. Plus I get bored working on stuff this. I do it when I feel inspired or creative. But you might see that new logo above being used in the updated CNCNZ.com Splash intro video for the next season of Tiberium Legos.

This one looks sharper than the current one. Me likes!

Sonic, have you tried using some gradient over the solid blue on the wordings?

Will this mean you will ultimately abandon the classic yellow totally?

Sonic, have you tried using some gradient over the solid blue on the wordings?

I never thought of that, something to try I guess. But it will depend on if I choose to retain the use of the random backgrounds or no. There is such a thing as to much detail in a logo. I've always liked the simple style.

Will this mean you will ultimately abandon the classic yellow totally?

At this stage yes. Its looks like the blue will become the new primary colour.

Sonic, whats the font you use for this time round? I notice it's no longer Groovy Fast font as the one used currently. :P

I never thought of that, something to try I guess. But it will depend on if I choose to retain the use of the random backgrounds or no. There is such a thing as to much detail in a logo. I've always liked the simple style.

I tried the gradient thing I mentioned to you. This is roughly what it should look like, well, my sort of variation.

Very minor editing, and I replaced the "C&C Community Veteran" thing with another font type.

What do you think?

malcncnzlogoxmay2011.png

malcncnzlogoxmay2011bla.png

One step up, I replace the classic green with blue to enhance the blueness of CNCNZ. Reason? I'm trying to go lesser colors, so my logic is to turn it blue by removing the green. Still thinking of sticking firmly to only 3 colors, the blue, with tinge of white and classic yellow/gold. Meanwhile, the slogan gets another layer of motion blur underneath.

malcncnzlogox2may2011.png

malcncnzlogox2may2011bl.png

Edited by Malevolence

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! What's wrong with this one?

At least don't do blasphemous recolours of the movement cursor, Malevolence.

Hmm maybe it will grow on me, but I still prefer the yellow as primary colour.

But I think the movement cursor is too busy when placed behind the text. All the gaps and lines don't work IMO.

But then I do spemd 99.9% of my times just in the forums, so I will probably barely notice the change.

Using the same font and turning it italicized with a blue color? Not much what I am looking for. I thought it would have been better if the font goes back to the Pepzi font, especially with the recent Pepzi font. That's groovy.

Hi Sonic, the layout design looks nice. It gives it a more serious look. Looks great for a news site.

Trying something random. :)

Back to the drawing board... those ones look terrible.

Perhaps the entire community may provide constructive suggestions and possible other artworks as a source of inspiration? ;)

Hmm... not sure about those ones Malevolence. I know the cursor has to move back from behind the text, plus its needs to remain green, the blue doesn't look right.

... and I replaced the "C&C Community Veteran" thing with another font type.

What do you think?

The font is better suited (for the future job).

Mainly, the version with the "blue laser" on the left.

I don't have idea about all the uses of the logo, but this complementary lettering (C&C community...) can be even a little smaller.

But, I had to emphasize that it's just a subjective opinion. I tend to prefer minimalisms in design ...

* btw, minimalism is not making things smaller ...

(gben laughs at minimalism quote)

I like the concept of putting the slogan above the dot com. Mal did you try move the dot com flush with the top and moving the community slogan below the dot com but flush with the bottom. Just switch the two I mean. I still don't like the blue wheel, but the extra rotation makes me think of fight scene on the water wheel in the Pirates movie... or a ferris wheel! :)

Decide to take another try from another perspective. FYI I am not an official designer for CNCNZ new logo, Sonic is. I'm just here to contribute ideas to help. :)

By sticking to the formula of KISS (Keep It Simple, Silly) and doing a drastic change.

• First up, color scheme. I decide to scrap gradient or whatever funky effects etc to make things less messy or complicated.
  • Then, I made a drastic change (some of you make not like it, some of you may?) by scraping the current CNCNZ slogan and replace by a new... kiwi! and a shorter wording... est. 1997. Period! (my weird logic is ... hmm community veteran.. hmm i know the obvious that this is the community and its been around for quite a while, thats why we become the veterans... why not simplify and shortened the obvious, and take the opportunity to refresh it???)
  • Next, how do I incorporate the cursor logo you guys love without putting it in some weird place or looking weird or even have its color changed? Why not substitute inside the o in .com!
  • Note: The color scheme is not final, but this is roughly what it should look like.
  • Note: I do not have necessary tools, files and layers of the cursor logo thing, so the effects around it does look crappy! Orientation is slightly flawed as well!

As below, copied a kiwi image, my interpretation is to stick CNCNZ back to its roots that makes it so unique as compare to the rest of the fansites, after all, this is quite like the home for the C&C kiwis. :thumbsup:

11971203731299323252flo.png

Finally, my rendition of the logo! Hope you guys like this one!

malcncnzlogox4may2011.png

^No background.

malcncnzlogox4may2011bl.png

^Blue background.

malcncnzlogox4may2011wh.png

^White background. It's very obvious to spot the flaws from a raw cursor logo as mentioned.

What do you think again? :)

Edited by Malevolence

Guest Rabbit

Doesn't make too much sense to me. Most of the staff is non NZ members, and promoting the NZ roots would almost certainly discourage non-kiwis from being as active. It's an international website, has been for years and years.

Me likes :P

I appreciate the thought and creativity in your designs Malevolence, the addition of the Kiwi is neat but just adding to Zee Hypnotist said, the whole NZ only idea was dumped years ago, like about 2001 ;)

Doesn't make too much sense to me. Most of the staff is non NZ members, and promoting the NZ roots would almost certainly discourage non-kiwis from being as active. It's an international website, has been for years and years.

I appreciate the thought and creativity in your designs Malevolence, the addition of the Kiwi is neat but just adding to Zee Hypnotist said, the whole NZ only idea was dumped years ago, like about 2001 ;)

Mmm... don't get me wrong folks... I'm certainly not discouraging non-kiwis here or making this as an exclusive only site for New Zealanders, I'm not a kiwi btw! :lol:

What I meant is to acknowledge that this site do originate from New Zealand, hence the kiwi image, but its obviously open for all world wide, that's all!

Why put a kiwi into the CNCNZ logo? That's not necessary since it has nothing to do with C&C. New Zealand may be the king of kiwis but it does not mean anything the CNCNZ logo deserves a fruit symbol.

Removing the kiwi and drastic change, and scraping "est. 1997" and replacing the current slogan.

malcncnzlogox5bmay2011.png

malcncnzlogox5bmay2011b.png

malcncnzlogox5bmay2011b.png

malcncnzlogox5bmay2011w.png

Edited by Malevolence

The overall look of it is great, but you might use the space above the .com text for the slogan. Increase its font size, too.

You can put "est. 1997" where you've put the slogan now.

I do like the chunky / flash animation style of the new version, but you should rotate the cursor to match the slant of the text.

I appreciate your efforts here, but the combination still doesn't work for me.

I think my issue is the cursor still feels like the odd element (even back to the original version Sonci did.)