Sign in to follow this  
Plok

Daily C&C Trivia

While Hell March covers and gameplay videos done by fans is a good thing to gain views, the Red Alert 3 launch trailer is probably IMO one of the most annoying and disappointing C&C trailers alongside C&C4. (Flawed design, plot and wrong choice of music). I wish as of now Hell March would have been the most viewed C&C video and most downloaded C&C song of all time.

Keep your fruitless mindstorms away from my thread.

ENTRY 40 - July 9th, 2013
ZERO HOUR-SPECIFIC COMMAND CENTERS
Eight residual Command center designs exist in Zero Hour. Unlike the final versions, they differ in design, not just by insignia.

Townes:

GensZHAmericaLaserCC.png

Granger:

GensZHAmericaAirforceCC.png

Alexis:

GensZHAmericaSuperweaponCC.png

Fai:

GensZHChinaNukeCC.png

Tao:

GensZHChinaInfantryCC.png

Thrax:

GensZHGLAChemicalCC.png

Juhziz:

GensZHGLADemolitionsCC.png

Kassad:

GensZHGLAStealthCC.png

Kwai does not have one of these, either because it was deleted mid-development or was not rendered to begin with.

You duplicated Thrax and missed Tao.

Fixed.

ENTRY 41 - July 10th, 2013
HOVER MLRS MISSILE CAPACITY
The Hover MLRS does not seem to have a uniformed missile capacity.

TS_Hover_MRLS_Icons.gif
The cameo shows six missile slots on each side.

Hover_MLRS.png
The ingame voxel shows three clear slots on each side, but whether the upper and lower rows are merged cannot be determined for sure.

Hover_MLRS_01.jpg
The renders show eight slots on each side of the turret.

Spotted by AZ-Stalker.
  • Upvote 1

The ingame voxel shows three clear slots on each side, but whether the upper and lower rows are merged cannot be determined for sure.

A larger image of the voxel makes it even less clear:

hvrtur.png

• Upvote 1

ENTRY 42 - July 11th, 2013
BIZARRE HIDDEN RENEGADE VEHICLES

There are three unusual vehicles in Renegade, two for GDI and one for Nod.
truck1.jpgtruck2.jpg
GDI Pickup Truck, maneuverable but surprisingly fragile for its size.

sedan1.jpgsedan2.jpg
GDI Sedan, fast enough to close in on an Obelisk without getting hit.

Chameleon1.jpgChameleon2.jpg
Nod Chameleon, a... thing... with above average speed which handles like a tank.

Spotted by CnCSeries.com and Zee Hypnotist.

I've played with those vehicles before on servers with random vehicle crates.

ENTRY 43 - July 12th, 2013
TREBALI SU PASTI ZEMLJOPIS...
The title shows you how you can say "They should've failed geography..." in Croatian, which goes for both Westwood and EALA as far as Croatia is concerned. They've covered the country twice and failed to do it correctly both times.

QtXGPNW.png
Let's deal with Westwood first. In Red Alert 1, Croatia is part of SFR Yugoslavia, with both iterations of the sixth missions taking place there - the first one somewhere in the Kvarner region and the second one somewhere in Dalmatia. However, the missions' names are "Bridge over the River Grotzny" and "Bridge over the River Vizchgoi". Not only are these rivers non-existant, not a single word in our language, let alone river names, is spelled even remotely close to this!

YxcHUVr.png
Moving on to EALA. The third Scrin mission in Tiberium Wars, titled "Investigating the Source" does not have a determined location! The mission theatre menu highlights the location in Zagreb...

gsbVRv5.png
...while the cutscene shows it in an undisclosed place in the south of the country, but this is hard to tell, as Croatian territory in that region is very narrow, giving the possibility of the mission to be located a few kilometers inside the territory of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

OZnaksV.png541px-NezavisnaDrzavaHrvatska1943.png
The same cutscene highlights Croatia merged with Bosnia and Herzegovina, giving it a very strong resemblance (but not a fully identical appearance) to the fascist-controlled "Independent" State of Croatia in its 1943 form (minus western Vojvodina and plus Istria and Baranja). This can be compared to highlighting Germany and Poland as one country.

640px-HNK.png
As if failing at geographical placements is not enough, they've managed to do this: in GDI's ninth mission (Croatia again), they've placed two almost fully authentic Croatian buildings at the west of the map: the Croatian National Theatre from Zagreb (facing east) and St. James' Cathedral from Šibenik (facing southwest, in a sandwich between the Theatre and a random building). Notice how buildings from two different cities are placed adjacently, which is an error in itself, but, taking into account that Zagreb and Dalmatia are in a heated rivalry, this move is nearly unforgivable!

• Upvote 1

You're forgetting that everything is centralized to Zagreb...

While I don't actually doubt they are legitimate mistakes, these game do cover an alternate history and you could say the world was shaped differently in the alternate timeline.

You don't see developers making such mistakes on virtual US soil very often... strange. But an iconic building from Zagreb placed beside another one from southern Croatia, siriously?

• Upvote 1

ENTRY 42 - July 11th, 2013

BIZARRE HIDDEN RENEGADE VEHICLES

There are three unusual vehicles in Renegade, two for GDI and one for Nod.

I hated seeing idiots using these dumb vehicles during games. Out of nowhere some stupid looking truck or car would be racing across the map amongst tanks.... easy to destroy but just so damn annoying.

While I don't actually doubt they are legitimate mistakes, these game do cover an alternate history and you could say the world was shaped differently in the alternate timeline.

An alternate history which moves a 15th century landmark 300 kilometers to the north?

• Upvote 1

I was mainly referring to the country borders, but sure, why not? It fell into a chrono vortex and was spatially displaced.

I was mainly referring to the country borders

According to the 1995 Dayton agreement, neither Croatia or Serbia is permitted to "acquire" Bosnia and Herzegovina. Should this occur, the other side has the right to intervene with military force.

If the Tiberium universe does not start with the Red Alert one, as it is the case since RA2, all pre-1995 events, including the war in ex-Yugoslavia, can be considered valid.

It fell into a chrono vortex and was spatially displaced.

Wrong universe :P

Well I was going to say a tiberium meteor hit next to the building and flung it to its new location, but then I decided a chrono vortex made more sense.

ENTRY 43 - July 12th, 2013

TREBALI SU PASTI ZEMLJOPIS...

The title shows you how you can say "They should've failed geography..." in Croatian, which goes for both Westwood and EALA as far as Croatia is concerned. They've covered the country twice and failed to do it correctly both times.
I knew about most of those geographical mistakes before, but I've never really given them a thought.

Now I'm starting to think that this may indeed be indicative of poor geographical education on the developers' part, combined with Did Not Do The Research and They Just Didn't Care.

Similarly, Red Alert 2 has certain WWII-related historical landmarks like the Iwo Jima monument or the Arizona Memorial, which shouldn't be there now that WWII didn't happen in the Red Alert timeline. In this case however, I fancy that the landmarks could have been thrown in, perhaps consciously, just to be recognizable for the US consumers.

Edited by MrFlibble

ENTRY 44 - July 13th, 2013
ALL FRANK KLEPACKI'S (VOICE) ACTING APPEARANCES
Aside from composing, Frank Klepacki was employed by Westwood as a voice actor and, later, an FMV actor, due to the fact that Westwood had limited resources in the early-to-mid 90's in that field. Seeing how well he's done with voice acting, he continued this role in later Westwood projects and, eventually, Petroglyph's games.

Netrunners_CC1.pngRA1RifleInfantrySpy.png

• 1992 - Dune II: Building of a Dynasty - Harkonnen mentat
  • 1993 - Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos - Piglet, Gnowl, Butcher
  • 1995 - Command & Conquer - commando, right Netrunner (image shown)
  • 1996 - Command & Conquer: Red Alert - Soviet rifleman killed by a spy (Kane), one of the generals in the final Allied cutscene (third one from the left, black uniform)
  • 1996/7 - Command & Conquer: Sole Survivor - commando AI "skin"
  • 1998 - Dune 2000 - Harkonnen mentat, Ordos serviceman spy
  • 2001 - Emperor: Battle for Dune - Ordos translator voice (uncredited)
  • 2006 - Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption - Ewok handler, IG-88, Bossk, Jabba the Hutt, MC30 Frigate, Missile Attack Launcher, Tie Phantom Pilot
  • 2007 - Universe at War: Earth Assault - tutorial narrator
  • 2011 - Rise of Immortals - Balak, Lord Vezin, Scorpix, Lazarus, Ichor, Pycon, Kaos, game announcer

lJT6mMw.pngExec.jpg

Corrected by MrFlibble.

jvFGXZN.png

I've always assumed Frank is the guy on the right who's looking at the map in this shot. The guy on the left looks nothing like him.

It's the first time I hear that he's also the Speaker of the Ordos Executrix Council. Where did you get that info?

Edited by MrFlibble

I've always assumed Frank is the guy on the right who's looking at the map in this shot. The guy on the left looks nothing like him.

I've watched the cutscene right before making this snapshot. To me, the guy I highlighted is the closest to Klepacki's appearance, albeit with a fake moustache.

It's the first time I hear that he's also the Speaker of the Ordos Executrix Council. Where did you get that info?

Not sure where exactly. I remember putting that info on EVA Database when I was doing that section of his page, wouldn't know the reference anymore.

• [*]1998 - Dune 2000 - Harkonnen AI, Ordos servant
IIRC the role is credited as "Ordos Serviceman Spy". Here's that cutscene:

Also, it's not "Harkonnen AI" but "Harkonnen Mentat".

I think the guy with the moustache has a different nose and forehead shape, while the guy on the right seems like a closer match. Not sure though.

[Edit] Wait, now I remember, Frank is the guy in the dark uniform next to the fake moustache guy. Your question mark is right above him. His face is more or less clearly seen in the beginning of the

. Edited by MrFlibble
  • Upvote 1

Corrected the entry accordingly.

EDIT: Corrected once more. Scroll here until you see his voice acting, he apparently gave the Ordos translator his voice only.

• 1996 - Command & Conquer: Red Alert - Soviet rifleman killed by a spy (Kane), one of the generals in the final Allied cutscene (below the question mark, not the arrow)

jvFGXZN.png

No one in that picture looks like Frank at all.