PurpleGaga27

How to compile ShellEarth into the mod?

Well it's possible to extract ShellEarth.w3x and its textures, but the coding trigger for those files is missing and I cannot find it, not even from the MainMenu AptUI. As of now, I am unable to open Apt files because the tools that depend on it cannot run due to a DLL error, and neither Bibber's tools nor Lauren's WrathEd can open Apt files. Even if I put ShellEarth.w3x in "Art\SH" and the textures in "Art\EA" of any mod directory, those files cannot be compiled automatically. Somehow the CNCLabs team did it (with a modified ShellEarth and MainMenu AptUI without issues), but after I asked Blbpaws and CommieDog about it, they couldn't recall how they did it and they lost the source code pertaining to that.

There's also one time MightyBob mentioning on some assistance on modifying the ShellEarth from the old Jonwil's CNCmods forums, but that thread is long gone (and gone along with the forums). I don't know if I have the archive on that info on how to do that because that's from several years ago. The reason why is because I want the ShellEarth to change to a purple color.

Based on a MainMenuSpectator AptUI texture file, this is what I want for the ShellEarth to be:

post-7612-0-67430700-1444258603_thumb.jpg

It was easier on a texture file but that file doesn't go together with ShellEarth.w3x.

Changing the shell earth thing is easy. The name to it is in the apt file, you can even easily replace it with a hex editor if you keep the length of the name. The w3x goes into the mod (TW) or static (KW) stream. If you use a mod stream you have to rename it in the apt iirc.

The object you include even supports an animation.

Also: http://www.moddb.com/mods/equinox-mod

Edited by Lauren

Changing the shell earth thing is easy. The name to it is in the apt file, you can even easily replace it with a hex editor if you keep the length of the name. The w3x goes into the mod (TW) or static (KW) stream. If you use a mod stream you have to rename it in the apt iirc.

Well thanks, it also confused me long time.

Another, where's the code about the upper-right logo? The "Command & Conquer 3" logo I couldn't find the path or file name, either.

It's an OnDemandImage, 2 actually as there is a different one for the Kane Edition.

Hmmm. I have to ask $e7en how he actually did it.

But I still need to know how the ShellEarth changed its color.

It's a w3x model, so changing its color is to simply change the texture and/or shader settings.

For TSR I exchanged the Earth for 3 floating Orca Fighters with some small flying animation.

Edited by Lauren
  • Upvote 1

It's a w3x model, so changing its color is to simply change the texture and/or shader settings.

For TSR I exchanged the Earth for 3 floating Orca Fighters with some small flying animation.

That sound cool

Any chance you can post us a pic? ;)

Any chance you can post us a pic? ;)

Edited by Lauren
  • Upvote 1

Ha! i knew you could replace the globe because it was just a w3x file, but never thought about replacing it with anything other then a different globe!

Points for thinking outside of the box.

Outside the box is where I live :D

The good news is that I got most of the textures replaced for the MainMenu, but unfortunately the ShellEarth replacement is hardcoded so that it can't be modified (except by heavy replacement), not even by the editing of the MainMenu Apt (since that leads to distortion issues). The ShellEarth editing did work with The Forgotten mod MainMenu Apt but that modified MainMenu lacked the Custom Maps button.

Despite efforts to convert the MainMenu Apt into a xml file using the apt2xml tool that worked, I have no clue what, where and how to add/subtract additions to a button (such as custom maps, etc.) in a converted mainmenu xml file. Neither great modders such as Jonwil, Dessire nor any other modder has released a tutorial on how to edit Apt files in xml coding.

This is the preview I got from the main menu so far:

post-7612-0-05753700-1444492240_thumb.jpg

Edited by zocom7

but unfortunately the ShellEarth replacement is hardcoded so that it can't be modified

Nope, just nope. It's totally not hardcoded at all, as said and shown above.

Neither great modders such as Jonwil, Dessire nor any other modder has released a tutorial on how to edit Apt files in xml coding.

I did, way back in the original C&C 3 forums, that was before most people realized that I told them their xml etc was bad not because I wanted to troll, but really knew it was bad. Edited by Lauren

Thanks for the video Lauren

Look nice ♡

MightyMagenta, I'll give you one reputation point if you can tell us how you replaced and positioned your new W3X of orca fighters to the middle of the main menu via the main menu Apt (in your Tiberian Sun Rising mod)? I am sure the editing of that main menu Apt (as xml) can be somewhat confusing. It's possible replacing the name ShellEarth in the main menu Apt with a different name.

No answer, Lauren?

No matter if I modify or not modify the main menu apt, and mentioned only to replace textures and the ShellEarth, that ShellEarth in the main menu remained unaffected, unless if the main menu apt is from The Forgotten mod. However if I replace the ShellEarth.w3x with some other w3x, it'll stll be a ShellEarth except it'll move around the screen in a random way.

So you still have issues with the ShellEarth even after you asked prodigy?

I don't think he can help with the reposition but he should know how to change the ShellEarth color (unless it only worked for him in KW SDK?... )

Wish that someone could upload source of similar menu like Lauren done so we all could see the files and learn how to mess with it

1. use apt2xml

2. in the xml search for shellearth.

3. rename it

4. use xml2apt

5. compile into the mod

positioning is all about placing a camera and its target into the hierarchy

Edited by Lauren

to replace the model, just as Lauren told you.

as for the tools i used to change the main menu:

bibbers asset extractor, apt2xml, xml2apt, windows cmd, photoshop, and the most powerful tool ever: notepad!

that shellearth thing.. extract shellearth w3x, open up with any text editor and change the texture settings by hand. recompile.

1. use apt2xml

2. in the xml search for shellearth.

3. rename it

4. use xml2apt

5. compile into the mod

positioning is all about placing a camera and its target into the hierarchy

Well the good news is, it worked for me getting a custom shellearth working in the main menu using your methods (including a red earth and a purple earth), but the main menu itself got distorted (and the image logo is gone) because the main menu apt was modified. I compiled that apt using the original BuildMod.bat for that. But however, someone has got to tell me how to modify the main menu apt without affecting the whole thing (I wish I could also tell CNCLabs about this), and please don't tell me that it's impossible to replace the original ShellEarth unless the main menu apt is modified.

Edit: Scratch that last comment. I got the modified Main Menu Apt working. It appears they want all files of that Main Menu apt (including geometry files) to be perfectly clean and not editted. Not only I got the purple earth working but also the shell content/buttons working as well.

Edited by zocom7

Half related question, if you already brought up the subject of apts, skins, and textures

I would like to ask here a question rather than open new thread for it,

why Asset extractor don't extract textures transparent : / any texture will have black background and I will need to edit it in PS, but when it come to decals it out of question since they partly black to begin with

Strangely enough Gamereply.org and C&C WIKI have the units portrait already transparent o_o so when I open them in PS I get the same pic just without black background (they don't have cursor decals however)

Anyone know what they done in order to get them transparent and what I can do to get the same result (with the decals case at least since I know how to manually make unit's portrait transparent with PS)?

Thanks

Edited by Egozi44