Sign in to follow this  
Guinness

Alpha's - can they be taken down?

lo guy's first post, have only been playing Zero hour for about a month so give me a chance.

been playing a few mates over a network and it seems that nothing can hit the Aurora Alpha BEFORE it's dropped it's bomb, but once it has you can take it down pretty easily. Am I wrong in thinking this or is there a unit of ANY general that can take it down before it hits the target???

Thanks

Guin out

Generally, the Laser General and the Avengers have a high chance of shooting down the Aurora. The Chinese Gatling Cannons have a high chance of hitting it too.

The USA Laser General seems to be the best choice for anti-air, as he is not rocket-dependant, so even a point defense laser system is useless against him, and the Aurora Alpha is a pretty crappy concept, it's just the normal Aurora bomber with F-A Bombs.

Personally, I think it should've been given to the Air Force general, and the Superweapon General should've gotten, like, a cluster bomb, like the death hand missile or multi-missile.

Considering Auroras get F-A bombs for 2000 and the ability to reload that bomb, I think its a lot better than a valuable generals point.

Shotting them down with the Laser General is simple, but if you can hit them with that FA bomb before the lasers shoot you down, you may aswell have opened up a nice big hole for your forfces to waltz in. The FA bomb is efficient for what is should be used for. Support for SW strikes and humvees and tomahawk groups.

There must be a very small chance of shooting an aurora down before they drop their bomb. I have never seen it done.

seen it few times...

my fren never sent any auroras then cos auroras expensive...normal planes (like raptor) have higher chance to hit the target (its depend whether it can blow a target..)

I think the best chance you have of stopping an Aurora Alpha is with Lasers and Chinese gattling weaponary. You should try and hit the airfield asap aswell.

The USA Laser General seems to be the best choice for anti-air, as he is not rocket-dependant, so even a point defense laser system is useless against him, and the Aurora Alpha is a pretty crappy concept, it's just the normal Aurora bomber with F-A Bombs.

Personally, I think it should've been given to the Air Force general, and the Superweapon General should've gotten, like, a cluster bomb, like the death hand missile or multi-missile.

I feel the same, Comrade

A lot of the time that they don't get taken down is not because of their amazing technological upgrades, but is infact the turrets on most guns/defenses not being able to turn quickly enough. If you scout it, you should be able to get a few shots at it, and if you know where it's headed, shoot down its missiles.

Considering Auroras get F-A bombs for 2000 and the ability to reload that bomb, I think its a lot better than a valuable generals point.

Shotting them down with the Laser General is simple, but if you can hit them with that FA bomb before the lasers shoot you down, you may aswell have opened up a nice big hole for your forfces to waltz in. The FA bomb is efficient for what is should be used for. Support for SW strikes and humvees and tomahawk groups.

But the Auroras have little crappy FA bombs..

A FA bomb still normally costs a Generals point Woofna. Remember that!

You can't shoot down Aurora/Aurora Alpha's before they drop their payload. Period. :roll:

If they are being shot down, then it's a glitch. :roll: Simple as that.

You can't shoot down Aurora/Aurora Alpha's before they drop their payload. Period. :roll:

If they are being shot down, then it's a glitch. :roll: Simple as that.

Incorrect Acerz. Theres about 5% chance of it getting hit. The only way I've seen it destroyed in air though, is if a superweapon strikes just where its flying over.

I'm talking about conventional AA here, not superweapons, Lee. Where did the 5% chance come from? I distinctly recall the manuals stating that the idea was for them not to be shot down before they released their payload.

The 5% chance is from there being a glitch as you suggested or the SW strike. Even if you hit a nuclear missile directly on the spot the Auroras at, the chances are that it won't be hit, despite the weapon normally shooting down planes. Its something like a 1 in 20 chance of it happening, hence 5%.

Hmm...I see now. :hmm: Hopefully the next patch (if there will be one) will fix that. :nod:

Should do.

Auroras really need some capacity to be hit IMO. Its like having something able to ovwerpower all your enemies defenses, no matter how large the enemy :-(

Thats to compensate for the US being made out to be pansys in the missions :P

just kidding

I have seen auroras shot down several times before they deliver. One was an expiriment with my own Particle Cannon :wink:

Another was a Nuke

One Time I flew an aurora threw an EMP blast, not sure if I messed up my timing or if it just doesnt work.

the last time was when MiGs were shooting at auroras missed the ones in front, but they still created an airial firesotrm and the next aurora caught fire and burned to the ground.

um yeah. Just tell any large group of MiGs to shoot an air target and watch them all miss.

Arial firestorm. This is also how MiGs on air patrol tend to get killed, they fire then fly through their own fire :evil:

Guest MadBadger

Yawn......

odd how no ones mentioned rockets yet.

If you have 2 Alphas/Arouras flying 1 about a US airfield behind the other and they both fly 'super' speed over a large area of rocket troopers the one behind will fly into the rockets ment for the first plane :lol:

Come on Badger, stop yawning and amuse us.

This is one disadvantage to the Aurora in that the best wya of actually getting to a target may be using Supersonic, but the best way of getting out may not be the way in.

So you position them to fly into the airfield rather than an arc right over their defenses by going "super sonic" :wink: