Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

New Layouts Are Hard to Make

Recommended Posts

Today I finally started designing a new layout for the site. Before you get excited and say wow a new layout soon, don't hold your breath. It will be a long time before anything is ready. All I have is a folder full of concept designs, nothing I would dare show unless I'm 100% sure its up to the standard I want. I will not repeat the horror of the sky blue/white theme I made early last year, at first it looked good but the more I worked with it I grew to hate it, thankfully not many people got to see it and I put the current layout back up. Anyway, I'm struggling as usual to come up with something different for CNCNZ.com, I thought about using my design for Empire-At-War.com with it's drop down menu system, that may actually happen. I know one thing I want to break away from current colour scheme. Any suggestions? Post them in the comments.

Share this post


Link to post

Just have star ships and stuff in the background! Eh, I have always liked the present colors, but whatever floats your boat, capt.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest Rabbit

I love these colours! Why exactly are you ridding the site of them?

Share this post


Link to post

The colour scheme is not really the issue here, it's the layout. The direction Sonic believes this site should go, is the opposite direction to everybody else. To evolve into something that's unique, innovative, and above all works, and works well.

 

Every website in the C&C community has followed the same style layout for the best of almost 9 years now. It's time to stamp a signature on things and make this site something that breaks the mould, and does not follow the "Standard Rules" for a community website.

 

Things will take time, but I have every confidence we can continue to come up with new things and try new ideas...

 

Notice how other community sites have come up with their own ideas? With No real C&C news on the horizon as yet, sites will now evolve to keep things alive and ticking over until we do finally get something. Change is good, and this is the way forward for everyone in the comunity.

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe more darkish grey, with darkish blue and stuff :)

I dont think a bright color is too good though

Share this post


Link to post

Especially for a game site, light usually is not great.

 

I'd like to have to option to still view this site in the cncnzPurple. Maybe a little skin selector? That'd be cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Especially for a game site, light usually is not great.

 

I'd like to have to option to still view this site in the cncnzPurple. Maybe a little skin selector? That'd be cool.

 

Purple? :roll:

Share this post


Link to post

What color do you think it is?

Share this post


Link to post

I'm thinking of keeping these colours and using the Empire-At-War.com design. I think it will work well.

 

I'm not sure how the drop down menu would work though, there is a lot more content and pages on CNCNZ.com than Empire-At-War.com, so the menu could be to complex.

 

I will test things and see what I come up with.

 

If the colours do change the cncnzPurple style for the forum will always be here for the forums, I don't know about skin selector for the main site though.

Share this post


Link to post

DONT GET RID OF PURPLE

 

i like the current color. purple/dark blue matched this site...its almost part of its identity. having a nice purple layout thats easy on the eyes is unique to cncnz.

 

change the layout but keep cncnz purple!

Share this post


Link to post

Naa. If ya gonna go for a redesign, might as well make it right across the board. ;)

Share this post


Link to post

Either way works fine for me. Change is definatly good. Here's hoping that things work out, Sonic and King! Go hard! :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post

Why even change the layout? It functions, it loads quickly for those still on dial up... Simple is usually your best choice for a layout. ;)

Share this post


Link to post

Agreed. It's still a very nice layout.

Share this post


Link to post
Why even change the layout? It functions, it loads quickly for those still on dial up... Simple is usually your best choice for a layout. ;)

All good points, however this layout will be about 2 years old this April and change is always good.

 

After more thought I have decided that the layout won't change to much. Since you all like the colours they will remain but I will be introducing a drop down menu system similar to Empire-At-War.com. Plus a new style logo/header for the top of the page.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×