Here is a theory i have been working on before cnc1 and ra2 there was DUNE cnc1 and ra1 are on the same engine as DUNE. before cnc2 and ra2 there was DUNE 2000 cnc2 and ra2 are on the same engine as DUNE 2000. before cnc3 and ra3 (maby) there was emperor battle for DUNE cnc3 and ra3 (maby) are on the same engine again. so im thinking that the dune games are sort of a test of the game engine before they release the big money maker games like cnc and ra? please tell me what u think

Dune 2000 wasn't on the same engine as ra2 or TS. but the rest is tru-ish

Would be cool if dune was after ra3 on a brand new engine

really well 2 outa 3 aint bad

Dune 2000 was the same engine as Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert, not either of their respective sequels. Though I do believe it was slightly reworked for the C&C titles.

Also, BFD was the precursor for Generals, not RA2.

ok but the theory still retains a certain amount of validicty

To be clear Dune was not based on the same engine as TD and RA. Dune was a RPG and a mediocre one at that!

As for Dune 2 being the same engine as TD and RA, I seriously doubt that, as they don't look anything alike. Dune 2000 is most likely based on the TD/RA engine. As for TS and RA2, they are probably the same engine. And then we get Sage which is what ever major RTS from EA has used right up to RA3. :)

Anyways to your theory. Naa, I think that Dune is just a mediocre universe that they throw out there to make a bit of cash before they dedicate their time to a good title, like a C&C title.

That being said, it would be cool if EA made a Dune title, they could just make it like Generals 2, but call it Dune. :P haha

Indeedz,.

My dad once told me there was a Dune book or something, (can't remember,. long time ago) or was it movie?

Dune 2000 was the same engine as Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert, not either of their respective sequels. Though I do believe it was slightly reworked for the C&C titles.

Other way around.

EA would rape the Dune universe, which is epic.

Not really. I mean there isn't much to Dune really. You have the two houses, one is good one is evil. Then you have hte Ordos who don't really count, but they are the sneaky ones. You have lots of sand, and Spice and Worms. Its not like the houses really have that much tech that is for them only.

I don't think EA would **** it up that much, even if they did, is anyone goign to care? Its not like Emperor was that great a success. :P

Emperor didn't quite follow the Dune universe all that closely. As far as I can tell, there is no House Ordos in any of the books. Then again, I'm not quite done with the series yet. But either way, even WW didn't give Dune enough justice.

In a way, you could say each version of the engine for each game is a test for the next, because there where always adding to the WW library's.

From what i know, Dune was the first engine for the C&C franchise, then they added to that for TD, same for RA, again for TS/FS, and again for RA2/YR, then HEAVILY modified it for Generals, C&C and now heavily modified again for RA3.

So in a way, each game still has a bit of Westwood :P

Edited by TSHyper

There is a House Ordos... I've read it in Wikipedia (out of curiosity, after seeing like 20 Dune books in the local bookstore). Although from what I've gathered, the house is a trading kind of house... Not the warfare or domineering one we saw in Emperor: Battle for Dune.

Here is a theory i have been working on before cnc1 and ra2 there was DUNE cnc1 and ra1 are on the same engine as DUNE. before cnc2 and ra2 there was DUNE 2000 cnc2 and ra2 are on the same engine as DUNE 2000. before cnc3 and ra3 (maby) there was emperor battle for DUNE cnc3 and ra3 (maby) are on the same engine again. so im thinking that the dune games are sort of a test of the game engine before they release the big money maker games like cnc and ra? please tell me what u think

Yes, Westwood did use Dune to prepare the engine for C&C. However, I don't think EA cares.

There is a House Ordos... I've read it in Wikipedia (out of curiosity, after seeing like 20 Dune books in the local bookstore). Although from what I've gathered, the house is a trading kind of house... Not the warfare or domineering one we saw in Emperor: Battle for Dune.

That's what I thought, but I'd have to check. I haven't cared about Dune for a while now.. :P

Oh, that's what we need after RA3! A new dune game!

Oh, that's what we need after RA3! A new dune game!

Does EA even own that ip?

Not anymore I guess.

I believe so, they go it when they took over Westwood. Although, it might belong with someone else or some ****. Eh.

Maybe their license has expired. Or something.

I don't believe it works like that. Once you own it, you own it for all time.

In that case they need to make one.

Imagine that though, EA getting a letter from some old westwood employee saying that the licence had expired and they could no longer make any C&C or Dune games

Imagine that though, EA getting a letter from some old westwood employee saying that the licence had expired and they could no longer make any C&C or Dune games

That made no sense.

Indeedz,.

My dad once told me there was a Dune book or something, (can't remember,. long time ago) or was it movie?

Are you real? Dune is a novel by Frank Herbert and it's fantastic, a must read! And there is more than one movie out there but the one made by Lynch is the most famous.

If you are interested in the Dune universe there is a few mod projects out there attempting to make Dune in the C&C3 engine.