Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Catching Up with Aaron "APOC" Kaufman

In the last week or so, GameReplays.org posted an interview with our former C&C Community Manager, the one and only Aaron "APOC" Kaufman. In this interview APOC talks about is recent wedding, life at THQ, leaving EA and he comments on C&C 4 and the future of C&C. Here's part of it.

meth: Have you had time to follow much C&C wise? C&C 4 post release support has not been good, the ladders still don't work and we miss you.

APOC: I've been quietly keeping tabs and noticed the same myself. It's simply because the current C&C dev team lacks the resources to support and are focused squarely on rebooting the franchise. That's the 100% fact and it has 0% to do with lack of care which I can't blame the community for thinking, but that is the 100% truth. It's the reality I faced on Feb 1, 2004 when I officially became your CM during the dark days of no Zero Hour support. That infamous 1.03 patch didn't magically appear out of thin air, I had to camp out in between Mark Skaggs and Harvard Bonin's office doors for many nights. Sometimes that is the reality we have to face, and it's sincerely one I fought in the name of the C&C community a number of times, and won, and lost, not every battle is won. When the team rehires a Community Manager, I have no doubt you'll start to see support pick up, or at the very least, feel a stronger two-way communication.

But the community cannot pin it on THIS dev team. If I can give the current development team with Sam Bass and JVC some strong defense, they are working incredibly hard on the future of the franchise and it's hard for me to say to you guys at this stage, but their time is better spent on resetting the foundation of the franchise, so it can be reboot properly and put back in its place as one of the best RTS games around. That was the original plan after we released Red Alert 3; C&C 4 was a transformation of a C&C specific multiplayer game, but based on market conditions and such at the time, we had to drastically change that plan. After C&C 4 CommandCOM, the community response to the gameplay was evident that process didn't have the greatest hope of succeeding, but the dev team once again poured sweat and tears in to making that game as great and unique as possible. C&C 4 may not have been C&C's best moment in the sun, but the current C&C dev team is definitely taking some key learning's from it, don't fear. I would say The Matrix Revolutions and the final Star Wars were significantly worse, and I'm sure Twilight: whatever it's called will be too. Come on now!

At this point, the current C&C dev team is feeling the unfortunate outcome of that process from a negative community standpoint (i.e. how you guys feel right now), but inside their secret cave, they are reaping the benefits of finally having massive room to breathe and create the next great instalment in the Command & Conquer franchise, time is finally on their side. You can't make a great RTS game in 13 months and the fact our former C&C team did that nearly 5 times in a row (especially if you count BFME 1, 2, ROTWK, KW, RA3: Uprising), and produced consistent 80+ AAA titles nearly every time is one of the most unheralded and unknown miracle success stories of the video game industry ever. We should write a book on the years 2002 – 2008, or just give a tell-all to WikiLeaks.

Check out the full interview right here.

It is timely to have this interview up right after the Roundtable in which many lamented APOC's departure.

...and I love how he still passionately defending C&C and the dev team.

*Sigh*

missing APOC more now than during the roundtable.

I sure hope so, Johnny. But I have my big doubts, no matter how smart JVC is, the executives will get in the way.

Hopefully they better not replicate the same behavior just like Treyarch did with the Call of Duty franchise, even after Black Ops was done all in 1 year, there's still quite some numbers of major bad bugs.

I personally felt that the C&C franchise is pretty much screwed, no offense to you guys. Unless somebody or some company invest some resources and talents over the C&C department, please leave C&C franchise alone. Gosh.

For those who haven't fit all the pieces together yet. The C&C franchise is not dead, retired or screwed. Its simply on hiatus. The new dev team, while smaller, is finally get the time they need to slowly work on a C&C game and not be rushed like the previous group.

I personally felt that the C&C franchise is pretty much screwed, no offense to you guys. Unless somebody or some company invest some resources and talents over the C&C department, please leave C&C franchise alone. Gosh.

I agree with you, Mal. I prefer it to lay it rest in peace rather than to continue to suffer unnecessary torture. But too bad, money is what keeps them going.

Anyway in this case, let's just hope for the best and hopefully those numbskull executives are not gonna get in the way again.

If the next C&C is really great, you all will be glad they didn't leave it at C&C4. Give EA another chance if this series means anything to you. If they release another travesty, then I can understand a call for coffin nails.

Great to hear from Apoc. I wish we still had him with us. And hey, I actually liked Star Wars Episode 3! :(

I hope C&C stays on a hiatus for another year or two. I'm sure they'll announce and possibly release a game in 2011, but I think people need enough time to forget about C&C4, and then make a series restart sometime further down the road. Plus, with two more Starcraft expansions coming in the next two years, I think most heads in the RTS world will be turned away from C&C anyway, especially if those two campaigns were of the same quality as the first game.

The ideal scenario would be a series restart in two years or more, kind of like how C&C3 ended the earlier hiatus with a bang. I also hope they spend more than 18 months on the next game, which Apoc mentioned in the interview, is barely enough time for a good team.

Edited by [NE]Fobby[GEN]

Good to see Apoc's doing well... I do remember him saying a while back that the WWE gaming community was a lot more passionate than this one towards their franchise.... After reading this though... you can tell he misses it. Probably had less trolls to deal with! :P

The new dev team, while smaller, is finally get the time they need to slowly work on a C&C game and not be rushed like the previous group.

I hope C&C stays on a hiatus for another year or two.

This, is seriously what needs to happen. As much as the community may hate it. I'd prefer to see the next C&C being released in late 2013 to early 2014 at the earliest. New Engine, new franchise, new structure and dare I say it even a new GUI.

Realistically, the focus should not be about fighting other franchises, or trying drastic new ideas. C&C needs to still at its core have an elegant simplicity to it, but also needs to have a diverse and deep complexity to it as well. This is how and why Blizzard hit the nail on the head, and still continued to with Starcraft 2. On the surface it is a game in which a beginner can easily get into, do everything, and embrace strongly enough. But also has a sheer complexity of strategical options, and so many layers of depth. That it really is the sci-fi real time version of chess.

Sure with a new team, management and such it may not get there at the start. Since effectively what EA have now equates the same as a brand new studio with only a limited experience to boot. But at least they can give it a damn good try. The only way they can do this, and make the franchise a strong power in this genre again, is to forget the legacy (and its name) before it.

In some ways I'd say let the dead horse rot. Scrap the C&C name altogether, or at least move away from it and only use it as a sub-title at most. I don't mean that in a way of resentment, aggressive trolling or whatnot. But if everything is going to be new and fresh. It would be more feasible in my eyes to call it a quirky game name, and then use a basic yet recognisable C&C logo somewhere on the box art. In that manner, it still holds a connection to its past. But the dev-team won't have so much to live up to. Although for saying that, some members in this over-zealous community would probably want to chase me with pitchforks and torches.

But it is true really. With every progressing title, more and more expectation is thrust upon the shoulders of new and experienced developers who never had anything to do with Westwood, and may have never met another C&C developer in their life. But here they are as one, with the knowledge of the sheer titan this game used to be! To uphold a legacy and to attempt to revive its name is tremendously stressful pressure, a heavyweight burden, and close to suicide as far as I'm concerned. Devs don't need that.

Forget pleasing the existing franchise hardcore... I say please some new blood, those who were like us who'd never thought RTS would be at our heart in the early 90's. While at the same time pleasing us older, wiser folk who'd be impressed with a good quality title which has solid gameplay and mechanics, a strong story, and a balanced yet diverse multiplayer. That, to me at least is what makes a game successful these days... not big names and quick turnarounds.

I'm glad Apoc is happy. I think meeting the right person in life can have that effect. :D

I also have to say that I agree with what Mal and Silverthorn says. I share many of the same feelings.

I agree with you, Mal. I prefer it to lay it rest in peace rather than to continue to suffer unnecessary torture. But too bad, money is what keeps them going.

I wish you would drop the whole money and profit thing. These companies make games for money and profit you know. Even you beloved Blizzard and Valve are "all bout the money" :rolleyes:

They are running a businesses of making games, not making friends.

If you look and study the other game companies, the 2 of them make friends with fans. But for EALA, the C&C team did make friends with us, but unfortunately, the execs are their harsh bouncers and tell them to stop all of these friend nonsense. I have made many case studies on each gaming companies on how they market and how they make their games, currently EALA is the only company is the worst I ever seen. Treyarch's Call of Duty is still a rush and at least it's still not as bad as EALA, not to mention they all also sell physical special edition items. What do we C&C gamers get during EA's reign? We get nearly nothing but downloadables, remember?! Soundtracks are nice, but their value don't last very long. Figurine of Captain MacTavish, now that's VALUE!

If you only look for money and don't care of fans, it will only generate hate. From the looks of them, Valve & Blizzard actually never care for money, because they KNEW they'll earn lots of money in return, quality is their primary target. What does EALA or the execs aim for, money over quality and in the end, boom, pops up C&C4 and became a huge knife stab in many fans' hearts. Here are some quotes and imagine it if apply to the game industry.

"Every tyrant who has lived has believed in freedom - for himself." -Elbert Hubbard

"The tyrant always talks as if he's preserving the best interests of his people when he actually acts to undermine them." -Ramman Kenoun

"The world will not accept dictatorship or domination." -Mikhail Gorbachev

Lastly, I have the right to say these whole money and profit things, do you think me & the other betrayed fans will forgive the execs for their biggest mistakes they ever made? Starcraft 2 may heal our wounds, but it won't remove our scars. So why should we forgive them when they insulted us long enough. If they give us a good C&C game on the next release, then we will forgive them, 'nuff said.

It's not like everyday I'll whine on that forever, if the franchise is finally RIP, the whining will stop automatically. Don't forget, Nmenth also understands our pain on that too, either a good game, or the coffin nails. Or if you want to make it easier and don't pressurize yourself, then just ignore my posts. Thank you.

Edited by Silverthorn

Guest Stevie_K

Good interview. (bit too close on his private life for my taste though)

I'm glad Apoc somewhat confirmed that the dev. team is doing their best on rebooting the genre. That's what I wanted to hear.

Long time no see Saracen. I agree with most of what you say there.

Hey guys,

Thanks a ton for the out pour of "we miss you" in this thread. It goes without saying, and it can't be emphasized enough, I miss you guys a lot to. A tiberium sized piece of my heart is still with the C&C franchise and more importantly, this community. There is no doubt it's because of sites like this that the franchise is still going strong and will be rekindled in due time. I'll do my best to be around, i'm keeping a close eye on you guys, keep the C&C fires burning, there is certainly a future ahead.

Cheers, your friend

-APOC

Thanks for the kind message, Apoc. Maybe the CNC community will hope if you might come back to EA one day. :)

Thanks for your time to drop in, man. Despite we still continue to feel sad about the times you left & EALA's continuous bad reputations, but don't worry, we still salute & miss you.