Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

[RESOLVED] Site/Forum Downtime

Some of you may have noticed our forums were out of action for the better part of the past 12-14 hours, maybe longer. To cut a long story short. The "sessions" table inside the forum database got corrupted and needed to be repaired. Obviously I've done that and the forums are back up and running again. How it got corrupted in the first place remain a mystery.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

PPM also had a problem that locked the user sessions table in the last 24 hours. So, you are not alone, buddy :P. The server guys are working hard to make Revora's IPB3 become less heavy for the server.

Edited by Banshee

So it did affect PPM as well. Interesting. I find it more interesting that vB didn't get locked, but my friend's phpbb3 did lock me out. A quick truncate later and everything was up and running. I wonder what hammered the sessions table so hard.

It's also interesting that the A Path Beyond Forums also use Invision Power Boards, but have not been affected by this error (yet)

So it did affect PPM as well. Interesting. I find it more interesting that vB didn't get locked, but my friend's phpbb3 did lock me out. A quick truncate later and everything was up and running. I wonder what hammered the sessions table so hard.

I have no clue.

The server guys are working hard to make Revora's IPB3 become less heavy for the server.

Since Christmas, or just before, I started to think about upgrading these forums to IPB3. But I haven't had chance to look at the skin/theme system. Because I know as soon I upgrade the current skin will be useless.

Why is there occasional log in failures in the forums after the downtime?

For example, i log in as invisible,. then when i want to post something and I was logged out.

No one else has reported any such problems. Doesn't effect me either. I always stay logged in. It could be something with your browser, most likely the cookies. Log out of the forums, then go to the main forum index, scroll to the bottom and look for link named "Delete cookies set by this board". Close the browser, reopen browser, load up the forums and log back in. That may sort things out.

The gallery isn't working for me.

Just comes up with Fatal error, nothing else.

Gallery is back. It was basically the same error as the forums. CNCNZ.com uses 2 databases. 1 for the forums and another for site data like the gallery. Every so often something goes crazy on the server and corrupts the sessions table in the database. All fixed.

Gallery is back. It was basically the same error as the forums. CNCNZ.com uses 2 databases. 1 for the forums and another for site data like the gallery. Every so often something goes crazy on the server and corrupts the sessions table in the database. All fixed.

Now that you mentioned the gallery, I've noticed that old games like RA2 have minimal gallery entries. Take concept art for example. You used only the Collector's DVD material instead of expanding it like Assassin did on C&C Source. How come?

Many of the galleries for the older games haven't been touched in years and probably never will be. When the current gallery system was first set up back 2007 (a few months before C&C 3 was released) I made the decision to keep galleries update for the newer games from that point on. The older galleries have been present on the site for many years, well before the Coppermine gallery took over. They were just moved into it.

Since Christmas, or just before, I started to think about upgrading these forums to IPB3. But I haven't had chance to look at the skin/theme system. Because I know as soon I upgrade the current skin will be useless.

I think it's about time, before the forums get locked up again.

Its kinda strange I find the unnecessary auto log out problem persists whenever I want to edit old threads (GPU and CPU threads)

The site has crashed 2 or 3 times today! And it does take its time to come back again.

The site was offline today because the server has received a new hard disk and all databases (including CNCNZ's) are in this new hard disk. Hopefully, the server will react better from now on.

Yeah, I noticed all of Revora was down, and the error gave the same IP for all of them. (cncnz, ppm and Revora)

The site was offline today because the server has received a new hard disk and all databases (including CNCNZ's) are in this new hard disk. Hopefully, the server will react better from now on.

Last time I logged into the CNCNZ.com Cpanel I noticed it said one of the hard disks was near full capacity.

The site has crashed 2 or 3 times today! And it does take its time to come back again.

Probably wasn't crashing, mostly likely taken offline for the hard disk upgrade that Banshee posted about.

Nagini had a second hard disk added to it. The reason we saw so many issues was that the I/O needed was more than a single SATA hard drive could handle.

Guest Stevie_K

The skin shouldn't hold you back. As a matter of fact I think you should consider trying out some new skins and perhaps a whole new look with a new color scheme. This one honestly bores me.

Don't listen to the heretic, Sonic, this scheme is good.

Well, if IPB3 brings stability and new useful features, the skin is irrelevant. Plus, this one is looks so simple that you can recreate it in no-time.

I wouldn't mind a new skin, either :P

The skin shouldn't hold you back. As a matter of fact I think you should consider trying out some new skins and perhaps a whole new look with a new color scheme. This one honestly bores me.

If you don't like the blue there other skins to choose from. For those who don't know these colours are the traditional CNCNZ.com colours, yeah in the past we've had different colours before, see the history page, but we've always come back to the blue.

Well, if IPB3 brings stability and new useful features, the skin is irrelevant. Plus, this one is looks so simple that you can recreate it in no-time.

I wouldn't mind a new skin, either :P

There will be no upgrade to IPB3 until I'm confident it won't suck up server resources like the Revora IPB3 upgrade did. And of course getting a new skin done. Stability is no longer a problem. As the last server upgrade and maintenance fixed the crashing problem.

My confidence in IPS' software is not good anyway. The recent example is Revora's IPB3 upgrade, and before that we used the IP.Downloads add on for these forums a while back, that bull**** software killed the entire site. The more I think it about it I would probably switch to a VB forum rather than IPB3.