Sign in to follow this  
panzeroceania

What is your favorite version of Dune 2?

I recently saw a new release of a remake of Dune II and it caught my interest. I never really played Dune II but love the original C&C and tried Dune 2000 about a year or 2 ago.

So I tried the latest version of Dune Legacy which you can find here.

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/dune...title=Main_Page

It is really epic and brings Dune II even a little closer to C&C than it already was.

there are a load of remakes but some have been discontinued etc.

I won't list them all, as I'm not reallyinto all of them, but I will provide a link to a list of em.

http://wiki.dune2k.com/Dune_II_remakes

The other one which I haven't gotten working but that looks really promising is Dune II - The Maker. It has even more updated graphics and a command bar. I'd still have to play it to see if the visuals mesh well. I was impressed by a youtube video but some of the graphics didn't seem to mesh, maybe it was just the youtube quality.

http://dune2themaker.fundynamic.com/

In any case, Dune Legacy is the easiest to set up for me right now and works incredibly well right on Windows XP, Vista, and Win7.

If you are a Command & Conquer fan, and have never played Dune II, you owe it to yourself to get the original PAK files and give Dune Legacy a try. You won't regret it.

and while you're at it, try Dune 2000, it was made as a total redesign of Dune II by Westwood after Red Alert.

Edited by panzeroceania

1.07(EU) is my favourite version of Dune II :P

Why Dune 2000 v1.06, of course.

Admittedly I haven't gotten around to installing it yet, but OpenDune looks by far the coolest. The sheer audacity of what they've done is amazing, and they have been making rapid progress lately too.

Heh, yeah, I've been meaning to try that out. It's the only Dune II clone I'm actually considering playing, since, well, it's an ACTUAL code clone, as opposed to the many loose remakes out there.

1.07(EU) is my favourite version of Dune II :P

Thanks for that, didn't know there was a 1.07 unofficial patch out there.

Also thanks panzeroceania for the link to Dune Legacy... Been playing Dune 2 on that ever since i saw your link. Really really good and awesome engine. It makes me enjoy Dune 2 a lot more compared to playing it in Doxbox for example.

Um, 1.07 is the official patch, and the EU version never had a 1.00 anyway; it was just released as 1.07 from the start (in fact, for some bizarre reason, there are 2 different European version 1.07 releases).

There is an unofficial patch for v1.07 (all 3 different versions of it), but MrFlibble is way too modest to call it "1.08".

Ey Nyerguds, yeah, i meant that one from Mr Fibble, as soon as i googled 1.07 patch for Dune 2 it came up with that instead of the official one... So that is why i said unofficial 1.07 patch. Even if you where referring to the official 1.07, i found the unofficial 1.07 instead, that i didn't even know it existed :lol:

Great work by Mr Fibble, big changelog, fixed a lot of stuff, and i can play it in Dune Legacy without issues.

That's "MrFlibble", no spaces, and you forgot an L in fLibble :P

It's not "an unofficial 1.07 patch", by the way... it's an unofficial patch FOR the official 1.07. You need Dune II v1.07 or you can't use his fix pack.

The 1.07 patch apparently changes almost all of the game graphics to updated file formats, so just adding the 1.07 fix pack will just leave you with a game that can't read its own graphics files (since you'll have the 1.07 game but the 1.00 graphics).

Ah ok, thanks for the correction, MrFlibble it is. I never though i would be this happy that Dune 2 is on my 10th anniversary collection of Westwood haha...

Anybody knows if there are more source ports for Dune 2 then just Dune Legacy? I do not mean remakes, but real source ports where you need the original Dune 2 files to play the game.

Anybody knows where to place the optional mp3 files for Dune Legacy? According to the ini file there needs to be four folders (from the top of my head); attack, peace, intro and another one i forgot. The attack and intro are easy, but where to i put the rest of the mp3 files? Does anybody knows?

Edited by Spinvis

Anybody knows if there are more source ports for Dune 2 then just Dune Legacy? I do not mean remakes, but real source ports where you need the original Dune 2 files to play the game.

Admittedly I haven't gotten around to installing it yet, but OPENDunelooks by far the coolest. The sheer audacity of what they've done is amazing, and they have been making rapid progress lately too.

http://www.OPENDune.org/

Edited by Sonarpulse

Thanks for that link, i will check it out. Also, do you know where to place the optional mp3 files for Dune Legacy? According to the ini file there needs to be four folders (from the top of my head); attack, peace, intro and another one i forgot. The attack and intro are easy, but where to i put the rest of the mp3 files? Does anybody knows?

Dune Legacy isn't a source port... seeing as the source of the game was never released. The OpenDune team spent years disassembling and decompiling it, with tools TrueBrain wrote specifically for the project. Their current version, besides some bug fixes, is actually the original game, but adapted to 32-bit. All others are remakes.

where can I find videos of opendune in action.

Also, wouldn't Dune Legacy be considered more of a mod than a remake as it requires the original files and doesn't use new art or music?

where can I find videos of opendune in action.

Also, wouldn't Dune Legacy be considered more of a mod than a remake as it requires the original files and doesn't use new art or music?

Just download opendune. It looks EXACTLY like dune in dos box, minus bug fixes etc. Opendune is function for function the same code as dune II. Dune legacy is, computationally speaking, an unrealated program which happens to also pull assets from the dune data files. Dune Legacy is a remake. Opendune is something more akin to a source port.

Just download opendune. It looks EXACTLY like dune in dos box, minus bug fixes etc. Opendune is function for function the same code as dune II. Dune legacy is, computationally speaking, an unrealated program which happens to also pull assets from the dune data files. Dune Legacy is a remake. Opendune is something more akin to a source port.

Would be nice if it got ported by Consoles (Nintendo DS?), Cellphones...

Just the other way around actually Sonar. OpenDune is a remake, game remade from scratch to mimic the original, plus you do not need the original data files to play the game, and it is open source. Dune Legacy is a "source" port or to give a better name, "reverse-engineered" engine, since the source was never released. Plus you need the original data files in order to play the original game, in a updated engine, and it is also open source.

Anyway, does anybody know where to place the optional mp3 files for Dune Legacy? According to the ini file there needs to be four folders (from the top of my head); attack, peace, intro and another one i forgot. The attack and intro are easy, but where to i put the rest of the mp3 files?

Just the other way around actually Sonar. OpenDune is a remake, game remade from scratch to mimic the original, plus you do not need the original data files to play the game, and it is open source. Dune Legacy is a "source" port or to give a better name, "reverse-engineered" engine, since the source was never released. Plus you need the original data files in order to play the original game, in a updated engine, and it is also open source.

Anyway, does anybody know where to place the optional mp3 files for Dune Legacy? According to the ini file there needs to be four folders (from the top of my head); attack, peace, intro and another one i forgot. The attack and intro are easy, but where to i put the rest of the mp3 files?

Um, I'm pretty sure I'm right on this one, though I may not have said quite what I meant. Both versions rely on data/content from the original game as there is no (legal) way to included it. OpenDUNE is DUNE II decompiled, with bug fixes and minor enhancements. Dune legacy is coded from scratch. OpenDUNE looks exactly like Dune II. Dune Legacy has a different interface, runs at more resolution, and from a programmer's perspective is a completely different game. OpenDUNE may not contain any verbatim original Dune II source code, but it should be "computationally equivalent" (when it isn't running in enhanced mode).

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/dune...fferences_D2/DL -- interface differences that would be pretty hard to do in a decompiled engine.

http://www.opendune.org/ -- scroll down and it mentions they decompilation efforts a lot. I'll admit they should mention "decomplation" more, in the "about", for example, as this is far and away the coolest fact about their project.

OH ! Thanks for this topic. I didn't even know these projects existed. The maker sounds interesting :)

Until now, my favortie version has always been the original ^^'