Sign in to follow this  
Malevolence

Windows 8

Windows 8 to feature drastically reduced boot time, shown off in video

Watch the above video closely, because you might just miss the moment: according to the latest post on MSDN's Building Windows 8 blog, Microsoft's next-gen desktop OS will see a hugely improved boot time thanks to a clever technique. Rather than closing both the user session and the kernel session like in a traditional shutdown, Windows 8 will preserve the kernel session on the disk, thus creating a "hiberfile" that's much smaller than that of the usual Windows hibernation -- see the diagram after the break for a clearer idea. The result? An amazingly fast system bootup -- even with the battery removed to begin with -- that claims to be 30 to 70 percent faster than most systems tested by Microsoft. We're itching to test this feature on an SSD ourselves, but until then, you can head over to MSDN's blog for the full technical explanation.

win8-bootup-diagram.jpg

I don't bite :P

Even if it's really like that, that's probably one beast of a laptop that has no HDD usage save for the OS.

Currently as of now the fastest bootup I have seen on a fast PC was using Windows 98 SE. Windows 8 bootup to be as fast as Windows 98 SE via a fast PC can be a first.

But when it comes to new features to Windows 8 as I have seen from screenshots and earlier news, meh. :mellow:

Still, Lubuntu boots pretty more fast. Trololololololol :D

Anyway... There is probably a SSD, with a goddamn 786 overclocked and those stuff :P

Edited by pichorra

Guest Rabbit

I'll still try to drag out XP and Vista as long as I can.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

You can try and install the preview of Windows 8 now.

I tried on my notebook, and find the interface quite unfamiliar... in fact i don;t really find it intuitive or sorts... jus making things more complicated. :(

Btw if you ninstall this you cannot uninstall. You have to reinstall a fresh copy of your previous os or something.

Still, Lubuntu boots pretty more fast. Trololololololol :D

^^^ HAHAHA Win!

My fear is to have faster and faster boot times and nothing else, because everything will be sacrificed to the new King, The Boot Time.

You know those car magazines where an expensive fancy car is the fastest and the second is 1km/h behind, which is "obviously too much slower", and then you can't have a radio inside because you'll never be able to hear it and at the same time you'll almost never drive the final speed and this sort of human stupidity?

Edited by Solo