Sign in to follow this  
Plokite_Wolf

Copyright Infringement in Tencent's Red Alert Online

raol_news.jpg

On April 23rd, we reported on the announcement of Red Alert Online, a mobile game by the Chinese company Tencent. Early sources spoke of an agreement between Tencent, Electronic Arts and Aiyou Interactive Entertainment, but recent findings put the question mark on the legitimacy of the whole project. From data excavated from the game files, several instances of copyright infringement have been discovered, affecting assets from Blizzard Entertainment, Activision, Games Workshop, and even our very own modding community. Electronic Arts has yet to speak about the game at the time of writing. You can read the investigation piece here.

• Upvote 1

I hope this gets word out to Activision Blizzard so they can sue Tencent. Maybe the others will too.

Aaaaaand stuff was apparently lifted from Games Workshop. Again.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, PurpleGaga27 said:

I hope this gets word out to Activision Blizzard so they can sue Tencent. Maybe the others will too.

Even if they did, good luck getting a suit filed in the US to do anything to an Asian business. Tencent is massive and even if the suit did go anywhere, it wouldn't make a dent in their profits.

I'm not excusing them mind you. Just balking at the idea of suing a massive media conglomerate. From China.

Edited by Doctor Destiny

Posted (edited)

I don't think that we fans/gamers/modders need to sue Tencent for copyright infringement. Let Blizzard, Games Workshop, etc do that on their own, if they desire to do so. We should not feed this kind of attitude on them, since it can come back at us in a later time.

Regarding Mental Omega, I see that as a homage for their awesome work rather than a problem.

Edited by Banshee

Guest Rabbit
10 hours ago, Banshee said:

I see that as a homage for their awesome work rather than a problem.

Homage would be creating an inspiration with direct credit, not blatantly copying something and presenting it as your own.

Posted (edited)

I am not saying how appropriate that homage is at all. By the way, a quote from Graion Dilach about that scud unit:

Except that the Scud design was never a MO-exclusive to begin with. Sure, MO 2.0 used it already, but it was a public voxel even by then from Tony, released on FreedomStudios originally IIRC. And considering how 3.0 remade designs without crediting the original people making them (Tony for Scud, lefthand for the Nuwa, ROTR for the Sentinel...)

Edited by Banshee

A shaddy Chinese mobile developer stealing assets from other games?! NOOOO

Of course, as other have said, they probably won't be able to sue them either since they is probably some sort of shaddy Chinese laws. Oh well, we are going to get a new C&C game announced next month so this doesn't really matter.

Some developer ripping of some mobile game is one thing. The mobile game market is full of rip-offs, and 50%+ if the Android Store infringes copyright.

The same thing from a studio (supposedly) backed by one of the world's largest studios? That's a bit of a different story.

我有句妈卖批不知当讲不当讲。

I'm considering whether or not to tell the words"mother fxxker" in my thought.