Sign in to follow this  
Guest LargeAndInCharge

"Serious Error" in Zero Hour (but not in Generals)

How many "Serious Errors" do you get in ZH skirmish?  

20 members have voted

1. 1.

• 5 per day
    • 10 per day
    • 50 per day
    • None at all

Guest LargeAndInCharge

What the heck is this garbage? My hardware is NOT overheating and it is incredibly lame for a programmer to put that in his message box when HIS application has crashed. (Access violation).

I want my money back... I cannot play a skirmish game all the way through (although I NEVER have this problem in regular Generals). EA seems to be ignoring this problem. What gives?? :evil:

Guest jturk3

I only get it about once per play session. Depending how long I play.

Guest LargeAndInCharge

Oh, only once per session. Gee I guess that is OK then? WTF??

And PS... to the guy who added "never at all" to the poll. Do you ever play vs. the AI on a large map? apparently not...

:x :cry: :cry: :cry: :x :cry: :x :x

Guest jturk3

no not ok. just more acceptable then >1 per day.

And PS... to the guy who added "never at all" to the poll. Do you ever play vs. the AI on a large map? apparently not...

I added the extra option because I felt it should be there. Not everyone gets this error you know.

And yes I've played on large maps with a few extra AI players, the games slows down somewhat but it doesn't crash, in fact I've never had Generals or Zero Hour crash ever.

LargeAndInCharge, how long are you playing before the games crashes? 5 minutes, 1 hour , 5 hours?

I assume your system meets the requirements for the game?

Both Generals and Zero Hour push hardware to their limits, playing on large maps with many AI players on a system that can't really handle it is asking for trouble.

If your not happy with the game maybe you can return it for a refund.

Guest LargeAndInCharge

I was overclocking my RAM. Now that I am back at normal speeds it doesn't seem to be crashing anymore

Truthly i get no problems with zh no matter how long i play, the game slows down a little though thats about the only problem

I was overclocking my RAM. Now that I am back at normal speeds it doesn't seem to be crashing anymore

Well there you go. See you shouldn't be so quick to blame Generals/Zero Hour.....or EA for that matter :wink:

Guest duke91928

I have had C&C generals for severals months. I just installed ZH a week or so ago. Not all the time but, about 5-10% of the time the game slows down to a crawl, and it's like the cpu or something is lagging(during skirmish). The screen will only move about 1-2 frames a sec. It gets very annoying sometimes, but it doesn't happen every game, so it's not really a big problem. Although it would be nice if i could fix it. I have only gotten the "Serious Error" one time. Any Suggestions? is this a common problem? Any help would be appreciated.

System:

P4 3 ghz

1 gig ddr ram

ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb

120 gig hard drive

Sb Live sound card

A good old defrag of your hard drive may also help :wink:

I have only gotten the serious error message when I am starting up the game. It has only happened a couple of time but after I restart my computer it doesn't do it again. I have had ZH close for no reason several times though and it is extremely annoying.

I only have serious error when I edit the .INI files (if I'm wrong in editing the code). Since I upgrade my computer, I have no serious error anymore.

Its the drivers.If you use the lastest drivers the game has problems(serious error).Since i changed back to the older drivers,no more serious errors,its been a year now.

We use a Gforce4 64meg card,she runs like a dream.

Oh and of course it wont run bigger games,read the manual regarding 3v3s and 4v4s.

Anyone considered reinstalling Zero Hour/Gens? (Maybe somewhere else on your HD)

I dunno if tat would work... If anyting has been altered in the ZH folder te only way to get rid of it is to uninstall then delete the EA GAMES folder ten fresh install....

In my experience (I upgraded computers and Ram from initial play of ZH to now) crashes occur with large maps + many players + many units needing micromgmt. In short, the more activity you stress your particular game with, the more likely you'll run into the serious errors. I suspect those who complain the most have a) older comp/less Ram and/or B) really like to micromg against a lot of players.

I still get serious errors now and then, but it's pretty rare. I am focusing on games of 1 (me) vs 3-4 (allied AI players.)

DocStrategy