Sign in to follow this  
Guest Corbo

Windows XP + C&C Original = Trouble

Guest Corbo

I'm sure it's been asked before but I haven't been able to find out the answer to this question. Is it possible to run the original C&C in Windows XP (Home)?

to be honest i think ur asking for trouble running old c & c games on XP as XP does not use ms dos where CnC do....

it can be done tho but it is very hard to do so..... :D

It's a shame all new PC's now days come with Windows XP, you should really get a choice because XP is just more trouble than its worth.... :?

It's a shame all new PC's now days come with Windows XP, you should really get a choice because XP is just more trouble than its worth.... :?

I've never had any problems with WinXP, its best the operating system Microsoft have produced.

Every pre-WinXP that I own has installed and played for me. I will admit I used compatibility settings for C&C and RA, and Half-Life as well.

I would say most people who get new computers with WinXP installed don't even know the compatibility options are there.

Right, try this one out then....

If you have a friend that runs Me or 98 watch him run C&C RA1 or TS and see how fast it runs compared to the compatibility settings rubbish that XP has to run through because they thought it would be a good idea to get rid of MSDOS.... Ha!

I was playing TS through LAN with my friends, 3 of us had Me and one had XP and wow... XP did slow us all down. After we played a 3 way ffa on the Me machines and it ran much faster!

You know whats wierd aswell... the machine running XP was the fastest! it had a 3.0ghz processor with 1gb ddram and geforce fx graphics!

Well you should really look at the settings of that PC then. You should deactivate IEEE network authentication; it gives a huge performance boost.

And changing network settings in W98 well... :roll: :puke:

W98? Please... Please don't remind me...

I work fine with XP Pro. And there is always that nifty little XP thing called compatibility. Maybe XP is just different in a other way, unlike the difference between Me and 200 or so...

Yep. Got both DOS and Gold.

Both legally, even :P

I have:

DOS C&C (my bro's actually, but not like he even wants it anymore)

DOS C&C Covert Ops addon (also my bro's)

C&C Gold (Was really lucky to be able to buy it from my cousin a few years ago)

C&C Gold Covert Ops addon (exactly the same as the DOS one, but hey, it came with the game)

Tiberian Sun

Tiberian Sun: Firestorm

Red Alert 2

Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge

Renegade

I never wanted RA2, YR or Ren, and my bro already had TS, but hey, they were in one big pack (C&C Combat Pack) with Firestorm, which I had been looking for for ages.

Nope, sorry... as I said, I was very lucky my cousin sold it to me bc it didn't work on his XP (and back then I didn't know how to fix that :P)

too bad..

what are the improvements that C&C gold has

I heard that there are several new units if I'm not mistaken

No new units. It's basically easier to run on Win 95, has better sound, higher resolution and new cameos.

is it hard to run on XP?

Sigh XP is such a problem, sure its a great opperating system, but thats about it, it cant run any classic games properly!

I miss my C&C 95 :cry:

me too

but I can play it on PS so..

C&C on consoles sux0red. Luckilly I have Win 95 and 98 systems still (infact I'm using my 98 system right now) as well as XP, so I can play everything :)

C&C on consoles sux0red. Luckilly I have Win 95 and 98 systems still (infact I'm using my 98 system right now) as well as XP, so I can play everything :)

naah on PS it's ok

but yeah nothing beats the real thing

Sigh XP is such a problem, sure its a great opperating system, but thats about it, it cant run any classic games properly!

I miss my C&C 95 :cry:

Personally I've never had ANY problems running C&C games on XP...

I got it right from the first time with PCNC's guide, and I solved my other problems (namely running DOS C&C on XP) myself.

is it hard to run on XP?

Without knowing about the patch and the XP compatibility mode feature, it's probably quite impossible to run. But now you know about those it shouldn't be hard.

i have xp pro and its so gay its on my old computer so it slows it down

i also hate how it insists on helping me do everything its like the papper clip guy made an operating system even when i turn them of they still come back lol

btw its easy to get c&c 95 on xp try using the nod cd to install if you cant my gdi never could since i brought it?