Sign in to follow this  
FunkyFr3sh

New pre-cncnet5 Red Alert 1 Online Lobby

ah sorry for that, it was related to some changes i did a few days ago.. i didnt really tested em on linux, d'oh! It is fixed now!

Awesome!

I tested skirmish because I love a good comp stomp. I noticed a few things;

-When adding AI from the 'AI players' button, the AIs colour is default to brown, rather than '???'.

-I cant change the AI start location and team from the main GUI after they are added from the 'AI players' button. Instead I have to delete and re-add them after. (Its not consistent with the player options)

-I can add loads of AI by mashing the 'add' button from the 'AI players' button. It doesn't seem to take into account the map size. So on an 8p map, if I just mash 'add' a ton of times, then delete say two AI, Hard_AI_9, Hard_AI_10 etc etc, will fill the empty slots.

-When 'Random Starting Logic' is selected, the start: boxes should blank out or something. If I choose a start location number, then enable this, the location number stays in the box which is a little misleading. A blank or '---' for boxes when the button enabled would make it clear at a glance the button is enabled (rather than making them reset to '???') - Same should be with 'Allow AI Alliances' button

-The map 'A hill divides' says 8p, but is [0] (no spawns shown on map)

Apart from that, it is an awesome launcher. Nice work FunkyFr3sh :)

yes i was changing it to brown so people can just hit the Add button right away without the need to choose a color (random colors are not working corretly atm cause ai might pick a color one of the players got) .. gonna fix that with some bigger update i have to do later

yes you cant change the stats of other players or AI players which are already added, gonna fix that one day (iran already told me about this 5million times :D )

i allow more players than the available starting locations cause ra will just pick random spots then and it works fine like this :D Yes, you can add an unlimited amount of ai players, they are stored in an invisible list and only the first 7 entries of that list are used, i actually had a limit for it but after some changes i forgot to re-add it :(

you are right, i should reset the field or put something else inside of it incase random starting locations is turned on!

the AI alliances checkbox is only for the A key in-game :Ü

hm i dunno that map, is it an original one ?

Awesome, look forward to the changes :)

As for the map, dunno, I just found it about 1/4 from the top (all maps enabled iirc). There is another called '[0] start in the middle' about 1/3 from the top. Again when you spawn it just throws you anywhere. Apart from these, the rest seem to have working spawn points.

Edited by r34ch

When are you gonna add support for ladder, decent map selection and automatic downloading of (RULES.INI) mods?

ladder and rules.ini mods are not up to me, gotta wait for hifi and sean :D prolly adding the option for fav maps the next days

Just to let you know since the transparent background update (which is awesome seeing the map in the background) creating a game lobby loads sooooooooo slow on ubuntu. Like each individual frame, boarder, button, box etc takes a second to load each

yes, thats normal. it takes a lot more cpu power than before and wine makes it even worse :D

you can turn the transparency off in the Settings

CnCNet5 has been officially released yesterday, all links on www.cncnet.org have been updated!

Iran was working hard on Tiberian Sun the last days and it might be supported soon too

Edited by FunkyFr3sh

Huh. why isn't there a topic of that on the CnC-Comm site? :|

yes, thats normal. it takes a lot more cpu power than before and wine makes it even worse :D

you can turn the transparency off in the Settings

Will you consider releasing a 'basic' version of the launcher? Turning the transparency off takes ages to apply and it still runs really slow on wine :(

Will you consider releasing a 'basic' version of the launcher? Turning the transparency off takes ages to apply and it still runs really slow on wine :(

What are your system and Wine specs? On my Core 2 Quad with Wine 1.7.4 I have no speed issues - not even much flickering - with transparency enabled. Using winetricks dotnet20sp and gdiplus_winxp (plain gdiplus with older winetricks).

I don't think CnCNet 5 will have any other clients than the current official one for now. Originally I had planned to write a portable Java client but I never got around to actually do it as the now official client was very feature rich and complete.

Also, Linux and Wine are not major targets for CnCNet, even though I do all my dev on Linux and Wine. As long as the client 'runs' well enough for me to test out something I consider it good enough, otherwise I would bug Funky. I'm not developing the client so in the end it comes down to FunkyFr3sh what he wants to do with it. These are just my experiences and opinions.

If multiple people would have that problem then i could just ship it with different default settings for linux, but i have to say it runs very fast for me on lubuntu so i dont know what might be wrong :(

turn the high res background off as well, it should speed it up even more!

What are your system and Wine specs?

1.8GHz Dual Core, 8gig RAM, wine 1.4.1, Ubunutu 13.10

in the end it comes down to FunkyFr3sh what he wants to do with it.

Ok well i've narrowed the issue to the background image. If I disable it and use the default plain red one, it runs pretty smooth, which is acceptable to me :)

I guess the only request I would have for Funky is to have an option for the older red background with the lines running criss crossed, like in the ingame skirmish menu itself. I think it was in the release before the background image update

Edited by r34ch

Is it possible to support rules.ini mods in the launcher, or would it not be preferable because it would provide an inconsistent experience?

Edit: Also how about additional map sorting options like by map size or number of players?

Edited by KevinLancaster

the rules.ini file is called spawn.xdp, you can change and share it like in the old LAN lobby :) Some day there will be an option to send the rules.ini mods automatically (it will merge the map and the rules.ini into one file)

dunno about the map sorting, i write it down! thanks

Merging RULES.INI and map is a very bad idea.

Yeah settings don't really fit the hashing-caching system used for maps.

Edited by Sonarpulse