Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Internet Explorer 7 Arrives - Is it any good?

After being in beta for a long time Microsoft has finally released Internet Explorer 7 officially now or should I call it Windows Internet Explorer, yes it's been renamed. The big question is it any better that its previous version? Well the short answer of course it is, but is it any better than Firefox? The answer to that question is really up to you. IE7 offers all the modern features that we have already seen in the likes of Firefox and Opera, it has fresh new interface, tabbed browsing, aniti-phishing tools (to be added in Firefox 2.0 which is due for release very soon), IE7 even supports the cool little favicons, IE6 did but it never worked that good. However after one day of being available for download the first of probably many security vulnerabilities has been discovered already, as the security experts look to shoot down Microsoft latest browser offering.

I still prefer Firefox though, it feels faster and more simple to use, now before you start accusing me of being anti-Microsoft I can assure you I'm not, if I was I wouldn't be using Microsoft Windows would I. But as I said before its your choice as to what browser you use and don't let the anti-Microsoft brigade and Firefox/Opera fan-boys tell you any different.

Oh yeah, I tested the new look CNCNZ.com in IE7, looks great!

IE 7 is good... but its not great, it could have been alot better, all IE 7 is is IE 6 with tabs and RSS thrown in, it is no 'innovation' in my eyes, no offence to the ms peeps over there, but i think it could have been better, i remember back in the days of IE 5, when all they had to worry about was netscape, and it was a sinking ship, however, to all those running Vista RC2, or any version of vista, it looks pretty sweet, and i think thats what they were aiming for.

However in my opinion, the way of the future is OPERA!

get it HERE!

And no... im not an opera employee undercover

That's all fine and well, but I like Firefox better, and so I'll keep using it..I might download it anyway, just to upgrade my crappy browser :wink:

Not impressed. Runs slower and less stably than does FireFox.

Not for me. Its faster and as stable.

Sorry, but if it does the same tricks as FF then bye bye FF.

Loving IE 7. Also 64-bit Vista and IE 7 kick ASS out of Firefox.

Corporate whore :P

I'm not touching IE 7 with a barge poll, it's code can stay off my PC for all I care. Initial impression is that this browser isn't an Uber revelutionary, so it gives me no reason to waste 15Mb of Bandwidth on.

Starts fast for me, but I find it renders pages just as slow as IE6 did. One of the talking points about Firefox is that its slow to load when your first turn on your computer. Thats not the case for me either, Firefox loads in about 2 seconds everytime.

Anyway, IE7 is improved but not worth changing back, Firefox is the true king. I'm just keeping IE7 installed for testing stuff when I'm working on the site etc...

IE7's rendering time is a bit faster than IE6. But it's still just as inaccurate.

It does start faster than FireFox. Takes about 4-5 seconds. Which is a lot considering I have a Core 2 Duo and a gig of RAM. But I can wait 5 seconds.

i've had the beta since it was first released..been using it for weeks. no big deal

I'm not impressed, it doesn't render the Valcato Hosting website properly - and that's totally XHTML complient!

I just checked my current project to see how it would look in IE7, and it's totally screwed up. I had that thing working for FireFox and IE6. Now I'll have to do three versions of that dang site.

My hate for Microsoft is growing.*

* I really don't hate Microsoft. Just IE. Microsoft as a whole has done many great things for me and my work. It's even the reason why I have a job.

Firefox all the way, IE7 is microsoft finally trying to catch up to Mozilla. IE7 boasts anti-phising tools which will be in Firefox 2.0 which is should be released by the end of October.

Now that I've used it, I can say that it's definitely slower and not as good as firfox :thumbsdown:

there is apsolutly no reason why i should download IE 7. it is IE just different. and we have had firefox for a while. was of time for this Genuine crappy Microsoft Product. now i am sticking with Firefox but i am keeping my eye out for when Songbird is reliced

It feels a bit newer for me, but overall, I like FF better. Besides, I have stuff set up in FF already, no need to go reset all my favs and bookmarks and such in IE7 :wink:

Guest Rabbit

Didn't need to download it. Came with my Vista RC2 :)