Gben

Starcraft II

earth being flat is part of the 4% that has been disproved over time.

Disproved, yes, but I don't think that was ever science, only belief.

Disproved, yes, but I don't think that was ever science, only belief.

Well, for a long time, it was accepted as scientific law so I'd someone did some research and concluded that it was, however flawed it may have been. There are still people today who believe this so you're probably right about it being belief.

Technically no. A Scientific Theory is an accepted Hypothesis, things are not 'proven' in science.

ehh, I'd say most scientific laws are fairly well established and proven to be true.

ehh, I'd say most scientific laws are fairly well established and proven to be true.

No what I'm saying is that you don't prove an hypothesis, you attempt to disprove multiple hypotheses. An Hypothesis that cannot be disproven is then generally accepted as Theory.

...uuuh... am i the only one who notices the big glaring fault in the argument here? you're all saying it's complete fantasy and not any of it is possible. most of the technology in star wars has already been created or could be created with the right technology...

and lightsabers: not possible now, but who is to say someone won't invent a technology which can control light particles? as has been proven in previous sciences, anything is possible. you're all saying the LHC will open up amazing new scientific wonders and new directions and physics which we never knew existed. how do we know the resulting science from that won't result in being able to control light beams? if we can create and focus them, it's logical they could be completely controlled. it's just far beyond our technical understanding right now.

and the force? when you think about it, it's just latent psychic ability. remember, although in an alternate universe star wars is set far far in the distant future... and technically none of them are actually human. so it's possible therfore that they may have more access to latent ablilities then we do. we have psychics as it is... and it's said only -some- people who are chosen can control the force. so it makes sense... just psychic mind reading and telekenesis... once again, a "mystical" science we don't understand but something which may be able to be controlled and used in the future, either through unique training of the gifted or through technological advancement.

generally anything you see in a "sci-fi" or other "fantasy" scenario can be created in real life (in lord of the rings style stuff with genetic alteration. but we'd have a hard time changing the whole world into a backwards age... when i say fantasy i generally refer to futuristic things x3) it's just that most of the advanced technical stuff is far beyond our advancement. i mean take... say... a teenage WW1 german soldier just before the somme and asked him if it were possible to have advanced cybernetic beings that were more intelligent then humans. he probably would have written it off instantly as pure fantasy or insanity. then he would have seen the british tanks... seeing something like that the first time might open his mind a little more, though he's still realise it was definately further in the future then would be possible now.

we are in the same situation. we have computers, the internet... we have robotics which can move and act on their own. if we tried, we could probably create a truely independant REAL AI brain (though due to the mass of hollywood movies everyone realises that would probably be a bad idea...) so are the things we see in star wars, star trek, stargate or any other futuristic show REALLY impossible? you can bet it will happen sooner or later. the second the chance comes along, someone will get it into their head to make something they saw in a movie that was made before they were born... an american has actually created a REAL speeder bike that hovers and such. but he hasn't dared ride it over 20mph because it's so unstable and generally scary. and that was YEARS ago o.o

so let's all just stop saying that lightsabers are an impossible technology ci? :3

...uuuh... am i the only one who notices the big glaring fault in the argument here? you're all saying it's complete fantasy and not any of it is possible. most of the technology in star wars has already been created or could be created with the right technology...

We don't have interstellar travel, sentient AIs, lightsabers, the Death Star or suits to keep dead people alive. Maybe the minute weapons like a laser gun or something like that but Star Wars is still mainly outside the realm of possibility.

and lightsabers: not possible now, but who is to say someone won't invent a technology which can control light particles? as has been proven in previous sciences, anything is possible. you're all saying the LHC will open up amazing new scientific wonders and new directions and physics which we never knew existed. how do we know the resulting science from that won't result in being able to control light beams? if we can create and focus them, it's logical they could be completely controlled. it's just far beyond our technical understanding right now.

Despite what the diehard cult fans tell you, lightsabers are not possible.

and the force? when you think about it, it's just latent psychic ability. remember, although in an alternate universe star wars is set far far in the distant future... and technically none of them are actually human. so it's possible therfore that they may have more access to latent ablilities then we do. we have psychics as it is... and it's said only -some- people who are chosen can control the force. so it makes sense... just psychic mind reading and telekenesis... once again, a "mystical" science we don't understand but something which may be able to be controlled and used in the future, either through unique training of the gifted or through technological advancement.

Telekinesis and psychic ability is pseudoscience. It's all mythical nonsense under the ruse of science when, in fact, NONE of it is possible and all has been disproven in some form or another.

generally anything you see in a "sci-fi" or other "fantasy" scenario can be created in real life (in lord of the rings style stuff with genetic alteration. but we'd have a hard time changing the whole world into a backwards age... when i say fantasy i generally refer to futuristic things x3) it's just that most of the advanced technical stuff is far beyond our advancement. i mean take... say... a teenage WW1 german soldier just before the somme and asked him if it were possible to have advanced cybernetic beings that were more intelligent then humans. he probably would have written it off instantly as pure fantasy or insanity. then he would have seen the british tanks... seeing something like that the first time might open his mind a little more, though he's still realise it was definately further in the future then would be possible now.

Sci-fi I would agree since it uses existing scientific principles to create something new. Fantasy stuff, no. Please, stop living in your cushy little world where all is possible. All is not possible.

we are in the same situation. we have computers, the internet... we have robotics which can move and act on their own. if we tried, we could probably create a truely independant REAL AI brain (though due to the mass of hollywood movies everyone realises that would probably be a bad idea...) so are the things we see in star wars, star trek, stargate or any other futuristic show REALLY impossible? you can bet it will happen sooner or later. the second the chance comes along, someone will get it into their head to make something they saw in a movie that was made before they were born... an american has actually created a REAL speeder bike that hovers and such. but he hasn't dared ride it over 20mph because it's so unstable and generally scary. and that was YEARS ago o.o

Yes, many things in futuristic shows are impossible. Not everything can be done. These are television for a good reason - they do not depict reality.

so let's all just stop saying that lightsabers are an impossible technology ci? :3

No.

Besides the fact our primitive technology cannot manufacture them, what evidence do you have to say we can't in the future?

We don't have interstellar travel, sentient AIs, lightsabers, the Death Star or suits to keep dead people alive. Maybe the minute weapons like a laser gun or something like that but Star Wars is still mainly outside the realm of possibility.

Yes, many things in futuristic shows are impossible. Not everything can be done. These are television for a good reason - they do not depict reality.

We don't have them right now, but in a few months/years/decades we could. Never stay in the present, look at all the technology we've gotten and see how it can expand in the future. Sure the Death Star wouldn't be around anytime soon, or never. But what if there was something like it? We wouldn't expect everything to be the exact same, but something more realistic in order for it to work.

Actually, They've already found out that plasma is the best way to make a lightsaber, they said that light itself would just go on for ages but plasma is a little more stable.

Star Wars doesn't have laser guns, they use blasters, which are inaccurately described as lasers.

The 'science' behind it: The interior mechanisms of a tiny hold-out blaster, a blaster pistol, a large blaster rifle, and a turbolaser cannon are based on the same theories and principles. A squeeze of a trigger emits volatile blaster gas into a conversion chamber, where it is excited by energy from the weapon's power source. The agitated gas is then funneled through the actuating blaster module, where it is processed into an intense particle or plasma projectile. A prismatic crystal focuses the beam, and passes it through a refinement chamber which galvanizes the beam into its final bolt shaped like a cone with a high ballistic coefficient.

If they were beams of light, I would agree, but they are unspecified energy beams, which as far as we know could be possible. Oh yes, I should also point out that I am not a diehard Star Wars fan, I own none of the movies, none of the books, no toys, and only two old games for my Nintendo 64.

Telekinesis and psychic ability is pseudoscience. It's all mythical nonsense under the ruse of science when, in fact, NONE of it is possible and all has been disproven in some form or another.

I would agree that they are pseudoscience, but they are not used in the traditional sense in Star Wars, via mind over matter, but rather through the use of midichlorians. Admittedly, these microscopic organisms don't exist in our world as we would have found them, but since Star Wars happened in a galaxy far far away, we have no means by which to disprove their existence there.

Sci-fi I would agree since it uses existing scientific principles to create something new. Fantasy stuff, no. Please, stop living in your cushy little world where all is possible. All is not possible.

I agree.

Edited by Nmenth

So yeah, science is not dependent, though it can be tuned so to speak. Then again, the laws the universe runs by never change - only our understanding changes.

well i've been reading Kant lately. taking a class in phenomenology and existentialism. Kant believes the focus of metaphysics should be to explore the LIMIT of human knowledge. i think this is very relevant to what we are talking about, simply because the reality of all science is that its limited to our understanding, our 'terms.'

simply because the reality of all science is that its limited to our understanding, our 'terms.'

That's kinda what I said. My point is that our understanding changes but the laws and rules never change; ie, they will run as nature intended them to until the end of time.

then wouldn't you agree that what we claim to be true could very well in reality be false?

(again, i'm not such a hardcore skeptic. i just tend to play devil's advocate)

Edited by rEdaSbLood

then wouldn't you agree that what we claim to be true could very well in reality be false?

It's possible but I'd say highly unlikely.

well i wanna continue playing devil's advocate, but lets try and stick to topic...

its likely that ill buy SC2...always great material from blizzard

does anyone know if they announced the official release date yet? i keep finding different dates..

EDIT: to stay on topic, AND carry on the developed one...i ask:

what would you consider starcraft? sci-fi?

would you consider it possible?

Edited by rEdaSbLood

hell yeah. Most of the science we assume are true are theories.

A scientific theory is used in a different sense to the way "theory" is used in everyday language. A scientific theory is generally accepted as fact

A scientific theory is generally accepted as fact

True enough, but that isn't saying much for the general public. The separation of theory from fact is too easily overlooked.

dayum DD you have a closed mind xD once again as i was saying these things aren't possible NOW but how do you know what might happen in the future? anything could happen. any kind of technological gadget is possible, it's just going to take the time and right genius to develop it... and once again, we only use a tiny amount of our brain power. sooner or later we will evolve to use more of our brains, either from creating technical upgrades via biomechanical implants to unlock mental power or from some kind of advanced mental training which we haven't learnt yet. but simply put, WE DON'T KNOW THE FUTURE.

so stop trying to claim you know what can be done and what can't xD like it was said earlier, all "laws" and things we hold to be true now are only theories that have been proven correct so far. nothing is constant. any law can change... it just needs the right situation to be unlocked. the LHC might unlock a lot of these laws for all we know. and a lot of the sciences we see in star wars are not that far off to be honest. i mean what is the death star? basically a REALLY big space station with a bigass laser/plasma/BIGBOOMYPEWPEW gun on it. if humanity wanted to make it, we could. it would just use all the materials and scientists on the planet... i mean it's possible but just highly impractical. we haven't even colonised other planets yet so a planet destroyer is kinda pointless at this stage. but military scientists are able to create truely free thinking AI's, they just haven't so far out of STRICT laboratory conditions because quite frankly it's beyond dangerous...

there are so many technologies waiting for us in the future. we just have to find some extremely intelligent scientists and physists and put them all in a room with unlimited funds... i mean we probably won't see half of the technologies in our lifetimes... but they aren't impossible. scientists believe the human race will evolve and change because of our lifestyles... either in the WALL-E way as lazy blobs, or as the classic "grey" aliens, hyper intelligent with frail bodies. i mean we're not talking 10 years or whatever but you never know what could happen along the lines in the future...

and RAB, i'd guess the different release dates are for 1) the different game parts, the first one and the add-ons/expansions/whatever they are 2) different country dates... i'd say check wiki. the nerds normally update the latest info there instantly so as unreliable as wiki is rumoured to be it's very helpful in the gaming world o.o

starcraft counts under the general genre of "sci-fi" but i'm not quite sure what sub-category it would come under. maybe "future war" or something...

just remember, sci-fi is a GENERAL genre. same with other ones, like you have "horror" then you have minor sub-categories like "slasher" "creature feature" "shock" "exploitation" "zombie" and so on...